New Pop Quiz!

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

mogami

RE: New Pop Quiz!

Post by mogami »

Hi, Well I can't find her listed as Champion of anything anywhere except in Bio. She was 2 years older then Mo so I don't know if they could have met in juniors. It's tough because I can't find any results by round (except finals) before 1975.

On Connolly I found
Connolly won all nine grand slam tournaments that she entered after 1951 she was knocked out of US open in 2nd rd in 49 and 50 and was the first woman to win the grand slam of tennis She never lost a match in a major after 1950 (50 wins)

At fourteen (1949), she won 56 straight matches and became the youngest player to win the national junior girls championship. Two years later, in 1951, she became the youngest U. S. women's champion, and she repeated in 1952 and 1953.

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!
Tristanjohn

Post by Tristanjohn »

I found this, which pretty much confirms that her real name was Marian McCargo: TV Tome

But as a tennis player it's as if she never existed! I can find very little of any use at all. In fact, my best two leads were Polish sites! This was the most encouraging, but as you can see it cuts off at 1950 for any real information re tennis: Wikipedia

Go to any of the tennis sites and they have precious little "history" at all, and next to nothing re the Wightman Cup. What a disgrace. The closest I could come in that area was a collectibles site which indeed had a couple of programs from the 1950 event, but with no supporting information.

Most of the obits slavishly repeat what's being said elsewhere, so it's obviously the case of reprinting releases. And some of these don't even have the spelling of her name correct. Strange.

The long and short of it is that in 1970 Marian McCargo (divorced) met Alphonzo Bell, Jr. at a party thrown for Tom Bradley and married him shortly thereafter. Bell was the scion of old California ranch and oil money--multi-millionaire and all that, plus a successful career in Congress [R]. He was 17 years older then McCargo and whether she actually loved the man is anyone's guess. Maybe she was a gold digger. For sure she was an attractive and multi-talented woman. Her role in The Undefeated captivated me when I first saw it, and still does.

Alphonzo Bell, Jr. died 18 days after his wife from complications suffered from pneumonia. He was 89.
Regarding Frank Jack Fletcher: They should have named an oiler after him instead. -- Irrelevant
rtrapasso

Post by rtrapasso »

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

ORIGINAL: tabpub

ORIGINAL: Tristanjohn
What I'd like to determine is if Marian McCargo was in fact her real name or a stage name she adopted.

I would suspect that is her real name, as in the obit that is near the top of this thread stated that she was survived by a brother and that his name was McCargo.

Really doubt that she got her brother to change his name also.

Cargo was the family name. The Mc was added to hide the shame of her brother Clutch, whose descent into absenthe addiction and peophilia besmirched the family name.

LOL!![:D]
rtrapasso

Post by rtrapasso »

Go to any of the tennis sites and they have precious little "history" at all, and next to nothing re the Wightman Cup. What a disgrace. The closest I could come in that area was a collectibles site which indeed had a couple of programs from the 1950 event, but with no supporting information.

Practically nothing on tennis before 1975 as Mog says except for winners of a few major tourneys (US Open and Wimbledon) unless one finds it in a player's bio.

I think a good sports almanac might have better info.
mogami

Post by mogami »

Hi, I am interested why all here kids have last name of Moses.

rtrapasso

Post by rtrapasso »

ORIGINAL: Mogami

From bio above:
Bell, who was born in Pittsburgh, attended West Hills College in Boston, where she met her first husband, Richard Cantrell Moses, who later became an advertising executive in Los Angeles.

So, all her kids were from her first marriage.
Tristanjohn

Post by Tristanjohn »

That was her first husband's name.
Regarding Frank Jack Fletcher: They should have named an oiler after him instead. -- Irrelevant
mogami

Post by mogami »

Hi, Oh yeah I read that. You can tell that I have no turns to do today and that might be good since I can't think. (I'm sick as a dog) But I can't sit still. I think the McCargo Connolly thing is a myth.

waynec

Post by waynec »

If this is the movie - it was John Wayne (playing John Henry Thomas) that said the line to Marion McCargo (playing Ann Langdon) after she asked him "You went out there to talk! Why did you kill that man?"

"Windage and elevation, Mrs. Langdon. Windage and elevation."

Attachments
coralseasmall.gif
coralseasmall.gif (25.84 KiB) Viewed 43 times
If the little things annoy you, maybe that's because the big things are going well.
Tristanjohn

Post by Tristanjohn »

Hi, Oh yeah I read that. You can tell that I have no turns to do today and that might be good since I can't think. (I'm sick as a dog) But I can't sit still. I think the McCargo Connolly thing is a myth.

Even if that's so, myth's are often based in truth, so in this case what is that base of truth? Did McCargo "beat" Little Mo in a warmup? What?

Tristanjohn

Post by Tristanjohn »

ORIGINAL: waynec
If this is the movie - it was John Wayne (playing John Henry Thomas) that said the line to Marion McCargo (playing Ann Langdon) after she asked him "You went out there to talk! Why did you kill that man?"

"Windage and elevation, Mrs. Langdon. Windage and elevation."

That's another good line. The Duke had a lot of those over the years. I miss him.

rtrapasso

Post by rtrapasso »

ORIGINAL: Tristanjohn

Even if that's so, myth's are often based in truth, so in this case what is that base of truth? Did McCargo "beat" Little Mo in a warmup? What?

Why is it hard to believe? Little Mo didn't start winning any majors for another year (after that she was unbeatable until she went up against a cement mixer). We know (according to Mog's info) that she got beat in the second round in 1950, and someone had to have beaten her. For all we know, it was in a mixed doubles tourney she was also entered in that McCargo might have won...
mogami

Post by mogami »

Hi, Yes all we need are the players for the 1949 and 1950 US Open. Little Mo lost in 2nd round both years. She never lost a match in a major after that.
It had to before 1954 because she did not play after that.
Going into 1949 Open she had won 56 straight matches. (she got into 1949 senior because she was 1949 Junior Champ)

rtrapasso

Post by rtrapasso »

Tristanjohn: I couldn't even find a reference to her being knocked out in 1949 and 1950. If we knew who knocked her out in 1950 (the name, I mean) we might also know if McCargo was in fact McCargo back then or someone else by name.

What link did you find for Connolly with this more complete information re her tennis career?

It was at this link:

http://www.tennisfame.com/enshrinees/ma ... nolly.html
Tristanjohn

Post by Tristanjohn »

ORIGINAL: rtrapasso
Tristanjohn: I couldn't even find a reference to her being knocked out in 1949 and 1950. If we knew who knocked her out in 1950 (the name, I mean) we might also know if McCargo was in fact McCargo back then or someone else by name.

What link did you find for Connolly with this more complete information re her tennis career?

It was at this link:

http://www.tennisfame.com/enshrinees/ma ... nolly.html

Thanks, I'd already been there. I don't know why I wrote what I wrote, but I did already know that she'd lost in 1950. I guess I missed the part about the second round.

The only odd piece that's missing is the record of McCargo. I've pored over the various tennis sites per se but there's no word, not even a mention of her death. I find that strange.

rtrapasso

Post by rtrapasso »

The only odd piece that's missing is the record of McCargo. I've pored over the various tennis sites per se but there's no word, not even a mention of her death. I find that strange.

Sour grapes of a sport spurned (for tinseltown?)

I did find a site that gave some details about her senior play (tournament names and approximaate dates), but that was in the 70's iirc. Nothing about her tennis carreer prior to her acting.
Tristanjohn

New Pop Quiz! Correction to dialog

Post by Tristanjohn »

Okay, let's get that dialog straight once and for all. I'm screening this movie tonight, and it goes:

Ann Langdon: You went out there to talk! Why did you have to shoot the man?

John Henry Thomas: Conversation kind of dried up, ma'am.
rtrapasso

RE: New Pop Quiz! Correction to dialog

Post by rtrapasso »

Yep - i found another reference that said that too, but i forgot to mention it...[8|]
Tristanjohn

RE: New Pop Quiz! Correction to dialog

Post by Tristanjohn »

ORIGINAL: rtrapasso

Yep - i found another reference that said that too, but i forgot to mention it...[8|]

Details, details. [8D]

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”