Europa en Flammen - Allies

Post details of your great victories and catastrophic defeats here to share with others.
gwgardner

Europa en Flammen - Allies

Post by gwgardner »

I'm going to try a few things differently this time around.

1) organization of PP expenditure, with a budget. In the past I've essentially just waited till I accumulated enough total PPs for a given unit, then spent it. This time around I'll have a percentage of each turn's PPs going to a given area, such as research or infantry. Only when each area's total rises high enough will a purchase be made. Hopefully this will cut down on wasteful spending in one area or another due to panic. In the budget, I will have steady savings and expenditures on strat bombers.

2) I'm actually going to try to manage the navy right!

3) In France, the high command is aware of German superiority already, so will early on abandon the Maginot and the Marne, and fall back on the Massif Central in the Auvergne, to take advantage of the rough terrain for defense. Marseilles must not fall!

4) The USSR will follow the classic Russian strategy - trade space for time, setting up strong points around cities to delay the enemy, but committing reserves and armor only to safeguard Leningrad, Moscow, and Stalingrad.

5) North Africa. Hmmh. I'm still undecided about that. Can't live with it. Can't live without it. The problem is, the Germans are guaranteed to take Gibraltar. Since I know Chuck values Egypt, I suppose I must defend it to the last man. Again. Literally.

Anyone want to chime in with thoughts on how I can improve this plan, and actually best Chuck, have at it.

Chocolino

RE: Europa en Flammen - Allies

Post by Chocolino »

Obviously, you don't need any advice as one of the most experienced players around. But I wanted to mention that the conquest of Sweden by the US really bothered me as the Axis in Crossroads. It opens up many tactical options for the Allies. It is also worth mentioning that they own a considerable fleet available to the Axis if it joins their faction.

Curious about which changes you plan to implement. One always thinks the options are almost exhausted and well explored just to find out yet new ones being played in every game.
gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

I'm an 'experienced' player, yeah, but wow do I keep making mistakes. Here's my latest:

I chose 'go on the offensive' when France was given the option to either stay behind the Maginot or release the static units. In my defense, Chuck got the options and relayed them to me, so I didn't get to see the consequences for each option. Guess the consequence: a 50% social unrest penalty!! So I'm not getting a huge amount of French PPs.

My rationale for choosing that option was to get an early move of most French units into the Auvergne for the defense of Marseilles. If I had known of the social unrest penalty, I doubt I would have chosen that option. Oh well, now I have reason to play this campaign all over again after this one's done.

Chuck has already influenced Spain, so he shouldn't be able to influence Sweden for a long time. I will definitely keep a Scandanavian option in mind.

I'm pulling a Chuck in this game, having Netherlands and Belgium ship their PPs to the UK by convoy, if it's not too late.

I'm going to try a Tunis Gambit this time around: ship a couple of British mobile units to Tunis and try to grab Tripoli if the Italians enter the war. It requires that 1) I not accept Vichy, 2) Marseilles holds out for a couple of turns, 3) that I have sufficient supply to make the stab towards Tripoli, 4) that the Italians don't have a good garrison around Tripoli. I have two UK and one French air armies in Tunisia, and if I can manage it, I will have a UK division land by amphibious assault to support the attack. Oh yeah, I almost forgot - this gambit requires that if the assault fails, that I get those forces back into Tunisia quickly, so that when Marseilles does fall, those British forces will be expelled.

Chocolino

Post by Chocolino »

I chose 'go on the offensive' when France was given the option to either stay behind the Maginot or release the static units. In my defense, Chuck got the options and relayed them to me, so I didn't get to see the consequences for each option. Guess the consequence: a 50% social unrest penalty!! So I'm not getting a huge amount of French PPs.

I didn't know this either. But I try to play a few AI games to check event options out. I recently did that for the Molotov Ribbentrop pact and didn't honor it. It puts you in war with the USSR right away. I don't remember any other penalties. But the USSR was not as weak as I thought even in late '39. They quickly came with a L3(!) tank and it would have been a disaster against a competent human opponent.
jjdenver

Post by jjdenver »

I think that putting 5+ Brit corps into France around Marseilles is a smart move - it makes Marseilles very tough to take. This should give you plenty of time for your Tripoli adventures, and also gives you the French fleet to use for longer.
AARS:
CEAW-BJR Mod 2009:
tm.asp?m=2101447
AT-WW1:
tm.asp?m=1705427
AT-GPW:
tm.asp?m=1649732
gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

ORIGINAL: jjdenver

I think that putting 5+ Brit corps into France around Marseilles is a smart move - it makes Marseilles very tough to take. This should give you plenty of time for your Tripoli adventures, and also gives you the French fleet to use for longer.

I'm going to try that, but frankly, it's December 39 already, and I'm wondering where all the British forces are! I'm only pulling in a lousy 30 PP per turn. I have four divisions on Malta, and I may have to pull a couple off there. I have armored, 1 mech and 1 infantry divisions in Egypt. Two just landed at Tunis. One is at Gibraltar, and three meager divisions guard the home island. I can see the Germans attacking France in a month or two, so that's only two more British divisions, not corps! I don't know, I must be playing this game wrong, because I have no idea how people build such respectable British expeditionary forces.

Now I have to admit, I have a sizeable number of PPs tied up in the purchasing departments at the Home Office, the War Office, and who knows what other offices. Those PPs are tied up in the budgeting process, which may have to be serioiusly revisited. Here's the PPs I have tied up in the budgeting:

I've been saving the following each turn in the budgeting: 5% research, 5% air, 5% armor, 30% infantry, 20% navy, 30% reinforcement/upgrades, 5% strat bombers.

Attachments
rgw01.jpg
rgw01.jpg (15.79 KiB) Viewed 363 times

gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

Looking at all the PPs I have tied up for future purchases, I'm thinking Churchill is going to have to order all departments to contribute to an 'immediate needs' fund! Hmmh, 100+ PPs tied up in the navy and reinforcements departments. Very tempting.

James Ward

Post by James Ward »

ORIGINAL: gwgardner
I'm going to try that, but frankly, it's December 39 already, and I'm wondering where all the British forces are! I'm only pulling in a lousy 30 PP per turn.

Isn't the advantage a percentage? You don't start off with a lot of PP's per turn so the increase is small until your war economy grows.
gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

Imagine the consternation of British and French leadership - uh, not to mention those of Yugoslavia! - who see 9 - count 'em - 9 level 1 armored divisions driving south towards Belgrade and Split.  The Germans have apparently poured their every pfennig into building a tank force, and Spring has not yet sprung in 1940.

For every 100 PP level 1 tank division he builds, the enemy must give up 5 infantry divisions, or 1/5 of an air army, etc.  Will the mobility of these tank hordes outweigh deficiencies in the other branches?    Or will time make these hordes of level 1 tank divisions into hordes of level 3 tank corps?

Now the French decision to pull back upon Marseilles seems bass-ackwards.  Every strength point of French and British infantry should be driving across the Maginot into the underbelly of the Reich.

Oh woe is us.

gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

Late May, '40

It's a mixed bag for the Allies. 

In general, the competence of the French High Command can be called into doubt.  They had no idea just how badly their force strength would deteriorate with the loss of the industrial, communications, and spiritual heartland of France at Paris.  Nonetheless, they remain stalwart and have refused the German entreaties for an armistace.  Indeed, the French Navy sortied in the Central Med upon the entry of Italy into the war, and dealt a severe blow to the Italian fleet.  Early reports indicated that at least twenty Italian ships were sent to the deep, albeit mostly their submarine force.  Few of their capital ships escaped the guns and aeroplanes of the French Navy, either.

If Fance falls, it intends to take many of the enemy with them.

Notwithstanding the help of the French Navy, the UK's attempted amphibious assault of the shores of Tripoli ended in the loss of two British divisions.  The Italian fleet was ready and waiting.  The assault was intended to support an overland assault by mechanized elements of the British forces in North Africa, based out of Tunis.  Heavy air bombardment of the lone Italian division garrisoning Tripoli was successful in opening the path for the advancing grouond troops, but they ran out of fuel just short of their goal.  Supplies are being brought up, in hopes that the Italians are not able to reinforce Tripoli.

Other elements of the British army have landed at Athens to provide support to the Greek allies attempting to stop the German armored assault into the Pelopenessus.  The British have also occupied Beirut, in support of their French allies, and five British corps are even now digging in for the defense of Marseilles.

Meanwhile, diplomatic pressure has been exerted by both the UK and France upon Portugal.  The cooperation of that country is seen as the only hope for saving Gibraltar, should the Axis succeed in obtaining Spanish support.

gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

[Once again I failed to remember that when an amphibious assault occurs, every single ship present in that sea zone engages. Had I remembered that, the British fleet would have been present too. A gamey but costly way to get the enemy fleet to engage, to ambush them, would be to attempt a decoy amphibious assault.]

Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (125.88 KiB) Viewed 365 times

gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

June, '40

Turns out that the enemy decided to abandon North Africa. British forces marched into Tripoli unopposed, and the Royal Air Force was ordered to rebase into Corsica, to support the effort in southern France.

The Wermacht seems rather thin in France. The French army is weakened, but will provide cannon fodder for the anemic German forces for at least a couple of months. Either the Germans will have to start hammering away with their Luftwaffe, or they must bring up more power. Possibly a pause, for refitting and upgrading will be necessary before the Germans can push into Marseilles.

A similar situation exists in Greece, where the German forces on the front line are simply not powerful enough to break through the British forces guarding Athens. The Luftwaffe could make the difference, however.

The Allied plan is now to hold as long as possible in both France and Greece, in order to allow the UK to build up an expeditionary force for placement in Portugal. It is likely that Portugal will join the cause very soon.

At the current rate of expenditures, the strategic bombing campaign out of the UK cannot commence until 1941. We have only 250 PPs allocated to producing bombers at present, and are adding 8 PPs per turn.

James Ward

Post by James Ward »

At the current rate of expenditures, the strategic bombing campaign out of the UK cannot commence until 1941. We have only 250 PPs allocated to producing bombers at present, and are adding 8 PPs per turn.

How do you think the bombing campaign went in your last game?
gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

With one bomber group I was able to keep Chuck from using anywhere from 5-10 PPs a turn. Then the next turn hit another target, or two, and the loss is 10-20 per turn, etc. Over three years that was a substantial cut. This time I intend to produce the bombers steadily, if not often. By late '41 I'll have 1 British bomber fleet. When the US enters, another. And then I should be able to add one per year after that. At some point there aren't enough targets, I guess.

They can't be used willy-nilly, because they ALWAYS take losses, and to reinforce them is costly. But let's say four bombers hit 8 targets on one turn. Anywhere from 5 to 10 PPs lost per hit. 40 - 80 PPs lost by the Axis next turn. Then 32-72, 24-64, etc. I can then take 4 or 5 turns to reinforce those bombers to full strength, and start all over. Or stagger their use.

James Ward

Post by James Ward »

With one bomber group I was able to keep Chuck from using anywhere from 5-10 PPs a turn. Then the next turn hit another target, or two, and the loss is 10-20 per turn, etc. Over three years that was a substantial cut. This time I intend to produce the bombers steadily, if not often. By late '41 I'll have 1 British bomber fleet. When the US enters, another. And then I should be able to add one per year after that. At some point there aren't enough targets, I guess.

They can't be used willy-nilly, because they ALWAYS take losses, and to reinforce them is costly. But let's say four bombers hit 8 targets on one turn. Anywhere from 5 to 10 PPs lost per hit. 40 - 80 PPs lost by the Axis next turn. Then 32-72, 24-64, etc. I can then take 4 or 5 turns to reinforce those bombers to full strength, and start all over. Or stagger their use.

That's similiar to what I try to do. 4 fleets with 2 attacking each turn and the other 2 refitting. If I can afford it I like to use regular air unit to bomb land target to draw off the enemy air but lots of time you can't see any targets!
You are right eventually you run out of worthwhile targets. Then I disband them.
gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

The concentration of four German air armies in Greece has caused the withdrawal of the British forces around Athens. The Luftwaffe completely destroyed one corps before the order was given to pull out. The writing was on the wall, and with no base for Royal Air force anywhere within range, it was determined that further losses would go completely unrewarded. The Greek navy is still active in the Eastern Med, attempting to chase down Italian subs, but we expect them to return to port of scuttle their ships soon.

In Southern France, the Royal Air Force owns the skies, and continues to hammer German armored columns moving down along the foothills of the Alps. Until the Germans transfer the Luftwaffe to France, we think we can hold out.

Portugal has finally agreed to join the fight, and a British infantry division has already landed at Lisbon, with more to come. Hopefully the forces we pulled out of Greece can be transported to Lisbon before Gibraltar falls to the surrounding Spanish army.

gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

Oops, forgot to update this AAR. Oh well.

Notes on the game, upon the Axis victory:

1) my budgeting idea was lots of fun, but a lousy idea strategically. It worked well with the US, which had plenty of time to prepare for war. It worked horribly for the USSR, where throughout the first year of Barbarrosa the Soviets had huge amounts of PPs tied up in future purchases of air, armor, and a parachute corps - all of which could and should have been used to stall the German offensive. After the fall of Moscow, I (I mean Stalin) stood a few bean-counters up against a wall and told them to either release the funds or .... They released the funds, and belatedly the Red Army began to put up a barrier to hold Stalingrad. Too little, too late.

2) The German strategy of 'all-motorized, all the time' worked incredibly well. The Soviets poor 2-4 infantry was outpaced in their typical Russian strategy of fall back and give up territory for time. The German speed made the time bit of that equation null.

3) My strategy of having 3 2-4 divisions hold each Soviet city, in order to disrupt the German advance was a total failure. The Germans were strong enough to take those three divisions easily, and to speed right past the very temporary block.

4) My sole successes in the game were: a steady strategic bomber campaign (although I note that Chuck never commented on the effect of the loss of PPs, so it certainly didn't prey on his mind much), and I think I pretty much won the naval campaign.

My hat is off to Chuck, who has now bested me in five games (I count my technical victory in one game as his strategic victory, since he had a Germany in being at the end.)

Return to “After Action Reports”