Well... I bought it

Kharkov: Disaster on the Donets is the latest strategy title from the award-winning team at Strategic Studies Group. A synthesis of the very best elements of two critically acclaimed and top-rated game systems, Decisive Battles and Battlefront, and a successor to both, the new Kharkov: Disaster on the Donets brings to life a campaign of epic scale and dynamic battles on the Eastern Front of World War II.
LarryP

Well... I bought it

Post by LarryP »

Thanks mostly to Judgedredd, I took the plunge. I will wait to install the update until I am done with the tutorial. That's also thanks to JD for your Porked thread.

Will be in touch... [:D]
JudgeDredd

RE: Well... I bought it

Post by JudgeDredd »

Oh Larry - I thought I made it clear in my post NOT to buy!! [;)]

Well...I do hope you get as much enjoyment from the game and the engine as I "rediscovered". Good luck.
Alba gu' brath
LarryP

Post by LarryP »

Completed all eight tutorials then installed the patch. Wow, what a game. This game packs quite a punch for players that demand a lot of options and varied decisions. This is a huge step up from Battlefront. It's overwhelming to say the least though. This game will require a lot of time to commit the options to memory, my memory. [;)] So many statistics to keep track of and I wish there were tooltips when you hover over them. Even if they were just quick reminders. However, with the manual and the two reference sheets, things are pretty much covered.

The first scenario I chose was the one Chris Merchant built called Kirovograd. It seemed like a good first choice.

This has to be a perfect game for PBEM and I will try that very soon, after learning more.

The Indirect Fire Adviser and Combat Adviser make attacking and deciding whether to attack quite fun. There's a lot more to say but I'm too tired after about eight hours of playing today for anymore comments. [>:]

I'm very glad I decided to buy this game, and kudos to Judgedredd for helping me to make the decision. [&o]
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

I'm glad it's re-sparked your interest in SSG games. If you get your moneys worth and shelve it, we could both sleep easy at night. [;)]
Alba gu' brath
jjdenver

Post by jjdenver »

One of the great things about this game is that PBEM is secure - no one can cheat. I love that aspect of it. And PBEM is really fun too. :)
AARS:
CEAW-BJR Mod 2009:
tm.asp?m=2101447
AT-WW1:
tm.asp?m=1705427
AT-GPW:
tm.asp?m=1649732
LarryP

Post by LarryP »

Well I plan on trying PBEM soon. From what I've seen so far, this is a perfect game for that.
htuna

Post by htuna »

Took the plunge too!!!.. Thanks for the recommendation Judge and Larry!.. was torn between this and Gettysburg.. but the DRM on Gettysburg helped make the decision easier!

Looking forward to the Tutorials tonight.. also thanks for the tip to wait till I finish the Tutorial before patching.
LarryP

Post by LarryP »

Plan on a couple of nights to do all eight of those tutorials, unless you are more quick minded than me. Keep us posted about how you like this game.

JudgeDredd is the one that initially warned us about the tutorials, so he gets the credit for that. I just passed it on... [&o]

Return to “Kharkov: Disaster on the Donets”