Here We Go Again - A Norwegian Frigate Rammed

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

BBfanboy

RE: Here We Go Again - A Norwegian Frigate Rammed

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

ORIGINAL: Knavey
ORIGINAL: BullwinkleMogami

The Honda Point disaster was the largest peacetime loss of U.S. Navy ships. On the evening of September 8, 1923, seven destroyers, while traveling at 20 knots (37 km/h), ran aground at Honda Point
USS Delphy was equipped with a radio navigation receiver, but her navigator and captain ignored its indicated bearings, believing them to be erroneous.

I wonder which cost more...I suppose in adjusted dollars, probably Honda Point, but I bet that modern frigate costs a pretty penny.

Only source I could find in short order was this one: https://www.globalsecurity.org/military ... dd-186.htm

$350M for 150 DDs (presumably including all the Clemsons). So that's 2.333M per DD in 1916 dollars, per DD

This Norwegian frigate was ordered in 2000 at a cost of $508M. Inflation from 1916 on $2.333M is only $35.9M. Multiply that by the 7 DDs at Honda Point and it's under the cost of the Norwegian frigate.

Gotta say I'm surprised, but then again we're talking 84 years in between and on such long timescales I don't really trust inflation to be super accurate. There are too many disruptive historical events in between. It can get in the ballpark for sure...

So I'd say it seems comparable, in monetary terms.

However, in military capability terms... that frigate is far more of Norway's navy than those 7 Clemsons were of the USN in 1916.
To be fair, a lot more is packed into today's warships than the old four-pipers. The displacement of the Norwegian frigate was likely on the order of three of the old DDs. So many dimensions to the comparison makes it very fuzzy.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Yaab

Post by Yaab »

So not only money inflates, but ships as well.
LargeSlowTarget

Post by LargeSlowTarget »

Another legendary forumite resurfaces - welcome back, Knavey.
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

I wonder which cost more...I suppose in adjusted dollars, probably Honda Point, but I bet that modern frigate costs a pretty penny.

Only source I could find in short order was this one: https://www.globalsecurity.org/military ... dd-186.htm

$350M for 150 DDs (presumably including all the Clemsons). So that's 2.333M per DD in 1916 dollars, per DD

This Norwegian frigate was ordered in 2000 at a cost of $508M. Inflation from 1916 on $2.333M is only $35.9M. Multiply that by the 7 DDs at Honda Point and it's under the cost of the Norwegian frigate.

Gotta say I'm surprised, but then again we're talking 84 years in between and on such long timescales I don't really trust inflation to be super accurate. There are too many disruptive historical events in between. It can get in the ballpark for sure...

So I'd say it seems comparable, in monetary terms.

However, in military capability terms... that frigate is far more of Norway's navy than those 7 Clemsons were of the USN in 1916.
To be fair, a lot more is packed into today's warships than the old four-pipers. The displacement of the Norwegian frigate was likely on the order of three of the old DDs. So many dimensions to the comparison makes it very fuzzy.

About 4 and a third, actually.
Zorch

Post by Zorch »

WWII ships were weight critical; modern ships are volume critical (in general).
Rusty1961

Post by Rusty1961 »

Hmmmmmm.....
"In the Norwegian magazine, Armed Forces Forum No. 2 in 2017 it was stated that “Four out of five navigators on frigate KNM Helge Ingstad are women“.

“It is advantageous to have many women on board. It will be a natural thing and a completely different environment, which I look at as positive,” Lieutenant Iselin Emilie Jakobsen Ophus said. She is a navigation officer at KNM Helge Ingstad, according to Defense Forum."

I'm sure the crew composition had nothing to do with it. Probably the excellent weather at the time.

"Advantageous".
God made man, but Sam Colt made them equal.
Rusty1961

Post by Rusty1961 »

Where do you get the adjustment for inflation? I really enjoyed you doing that.
Rusty1961

Post by Rusty1961 »

And the Norwegians billed it as "unsinkable". Doomed it with that comment.
Knavey

Post by Knavey »

ORIGINAL: LargeSlowTarget

I don't know about legendary...but I do like to poke in from time to time. Still playing!
x-Nuc twidget
CVN-71
USN 87-93
"Going slow in the fast direction"
bradfordkay

Post by bradfordkay »

ORIGINAL: LargeSlowTarget

I don't know about legendary...but I do like to poke in from time to time. Still playing!

Your series of posts on the WITP forum making fun of all the "this game is broken" posts is certainly legendary. Nice to see that you're still with us...
fair winds,
Brad
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: Rusty1961

Hmmmmmm.....
"In the Norwegian magazine, Armed Forces Forum No. 2 in 2017 it was stated that “Four out of five navigators on frigate KNM Helge Ingstad are women“.

“It is advantageous to have many women on board. It will be a natural thing and a completely different environment, which I look at as positive,” Lieutenant Iselin Emilie Jakobsen Ophus said. She is a navigation officer at KNM Helge Ingstad, according to Defense Forum."

I'm sure the crew composition had nothing to do with it. Probably the excellent weather at the time.

"Advantageous".

Because male navigators never wrecked any ships ever. Ever. Not once.

Definitely not in the last few years.

Google for it. Pick a calculator of your choice, although they vary slightly.

Bankrate and BLS are reliable.
Rusty1961

Post by Rusty1961 »

It was sarcasm.
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

It was sarcasm.

Alas, one could only hope that you would know when adjusting for inflation was appropriate and when it wasn't.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”