From: Hessen, Germany - now living in France
Updated to v.1.1 Official
For those interested in “historic” mods, I hereby present you an enhanced version of “DaBigBabes” scenario 29C.
The overall goal of my mod is to slow down the pace of the game and to add missing historic ships and units.
Some key features:
• Downsized base sizes and potential bases sizes of many bases, esp. in Central Pacific, PNG/Solomons and Aleutians > slows loading/unloading, requires more time-consuming construction efforts, prevents unrealistically large “monster air bases“ in hostile terrain/climate, unrealistic port sizes etc. - atolls for example may have large anchorages, but usually very limited port facilities.
• Added many bases and dots to CBI theater, PI, Solomons / Papua / Northeaster New Guinea / Dutch New Guinea / New Britain / Admiralty Is. / Northern Australia and Queensland areas and even Japan - until I ran out of base slots
• Dot bases in China have a garrison requirement for Japan (usually 10). They also have a minimal daily supply production (1-5 depending on terrain) for the Allied side (= local population supporting the partisans > see “Ground” section). The garrison requirements should make it much more difficult for Japan to advance deeply into China and keep the rear area under control
• Bases and dot bases throughout Asia, esp. along railroads / roads, have supply caps to represent poor transport infrastructure > bad or lack of roads, low capacity railways (as compared to the good infrastructure in CONUS for example
• Downsizing of roads in Asia [a bit like the “gnarly Asian roads” by Symon]
• Eliminated river crossings of the lower Jangtze River, Gulf of Martaban (north of Moulmein) and Brahmaputra (Assam Railroad) since bridges did not exist at these places until after the war > no more railroads and major/minor roads crossing the rivers! Added bases at opposite river banks of railroad crossing and added “railway trail” to simulate ferries >> interrupts strategic movement of troops and thus slows down the railroad blitzkrieg.
• To model the “on a shoe-string” condition of the Allies in regards to military supplies at the beginning of the war and the rising production over time, many Allied light industries and resource centers start 33% - 50% damaged. I also added a number of new 100% damaged factories and resources in CONUS for more late-war supply production (also added daily supplies to pay for the repairs - do not forget to use the “supplies required” function to keep bases with damaged factories at more than 10.000 supplies per turn – otherwise the factories will not repair thus supply production may suffer in the long run!).
• Got rid of most of the “first turn movement bonus” TFs and ahistorical pre-set invasion TFs intended to help the AI – this is a no-AI scenario anyway
• Force Z starts at Singers with no orders - instead of being sent to auto-demise at the hand of Netties from Saigon). Historically it left Singers on Dec 8th so players should have the choice where to send it.
• Manila subs are not waiting to be sunk by a first-turn port strike – IMO that popular opening move is a silly “20:20 hindsight” exploit, as much as first-turn carrier hunting. Most of them are assigned to TFs – it’s an Dec 7th PM scenario and after the Clark Field strike they got orders to move or pull the plug to hide
• Lots of ships added - including hospital ships, tugs, net layers, patrol yachts, small fry - but also elimination of duplicate ships
• Ground forces OOB changes and additional units - Railroad Engineers, POW Labor units, civilians, even yummy nurses!
• Some GUI improvements to ease identification of TF types and key assets
and much more...
Please find more details about the "mod philosophy", the changelog and screenshots in the documentation.
Feel free to plunder ideas and data for your own mods. Questions and feedback welcome. Do not hesitate to point out errors, misconceptions, improvements etc.
• Backup your files or use a fresh install
• Download v1.1 files:
- "A" version = install files by folders:
-A_Map (Art Folder)
- "B" version = full install (one big DL file)
• Unzip the files into a temp folder, then copy&paste the files into the appropriate game folders
Changes in V.1.1:
- economy revamped - see post on page 3 of this thread
- squad numbers for "Civilians" units reduced (the defense put-up by "civilians" was too strong in v1.0)
- fixes a few pwhexdat issues concerning wrong terrain / hexsides
- fixes various glitches with wrong ship upgrade paths and wrong LCU TOEs
- adds a couple of new ships and corrected data of existing ships
- corrections to historic ship arrival / withdrawal dates (the OOB is very inaccurate in this regard - work in progress)
- some changes to base sizes, for example further downsizing in the Aleutians west of Dutch Harbor.
- some modifications to certain plane models (stats, upgrade paths)
- as an experiment, added "depth bombs" to certain aircraft: Jake, Kingfisher, dedicated ASW versions of Ventura, Liberator, Wellington ("GR" designations)
- more stuff I may remember later
< Message edited by LargeSlowTarget -- 7/23/2018 8:19:48 AM >