Strategy/Tactics??

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

MrDave

Strategy/Tactics??

Post by MrDave »

I have been playing "at" Battleground Italy. I have been learning how to relocate air units, set up amphib ops, etc.

1. I have been soundly beaten when I attempt amphib ops as the WA to try to take the ports on the lower eastern side of the "boot." Has anyone written a article on how to conduct successful amphib ops? I get ashore but I'm barely holding on.

2. Is there a way to "speed up" the accumulating of Prep Points?

3. I haven't researched this yet: is there a way to build a larger port like an airbase?

I really need to go to a war college, LOL.
In Him,
MrDave
TOAW OOBP PC ATG CoH
Chuske

RE: Strategy/Tactics??

Post by Chuske »

Hopefully others will wade in with more specific advice, I collected various guides, AARs from the forums to a sticky post in the war room section of this forum. There are a number of tutorial threads there including some on how to prep for invasions.

Link http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3964247

The basics are though that the bigger the port and the smaller the unit prepping the quicker it takes.

As for eastern side of the boot problem there is getting air cover and keeping your supplies flowing as you are a long way from friendly airbases
The user formerly known as jonboym

WITP:AE - Useful Info for Beginners

WitW Tutorials

WitW Beta/Alpha Tester
MrDave

Post by MrDave »

Thanks Jonboym,
I found your articles right after I posted this. I will start reading them shortly. Thanks again.
In Him,
MrDave
TOAW OOBP PC ATG CoH
m10bob

Post by m10bob »

You may also go to youtube.com and punch in Gary Grigsby's War In The West..There are downloadable tutorials and you can watch that exact scenario to see how THEY did it...

HMSWarspite

Post by HMSWarspite »

ORIGINAL: MrDave

I have been playing "at" Battleground Italy. I have been learning how to relocate air units, set up amphib ops, etc.

1. I have been soundly beaten when I attempt amphib ops as the WA to try to take the ports on the lower eastern side of the "boot." Has anyone written a article on how to conduct successful amphib ops? I get ashore but I'm barely holding on.

Are you assaulting the ports directly? As that is a hard way to do it and only really works against really poorly defended ports. The units assaulting it might take it but will really suffer in doing so. Assault away from a port (pref not even adjacent as the defences can do your naval forces no good) then exploit inland and isolate the port. You dont need a port until you have built up a lot, the beaches will supply at least a corps each. You need Naples etc to supply 15th AF, and when you have all of 5th and 8th (or equivalent) ashore. Its also useful for subsequent invasions (north of Rome) if you can repair it fast enough...

Usually against the AI it will withdraw to the first defensive line when you invade at Salerno effectively
I have a cunning plan, My Lord

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”