Collectors Editions

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

MrsWargamer

Collectors Editions

Post by MrsWargamer »

Just curious.

Obviously some games just don't warrant the effort, and some sure do.

But, on looking at the games that DO have the Collectors Edition option, there is never any indication of price.

10 bucks for Physical Shipment to me is a dumb waste of 10 bucks plus shipping and taxes. But hey, you give the customer what they want. I just can't fathom the interest in attaching value to a dvd case and a silk screened dvd. It's worth 25 cents normally, not 10 bucks.

Now a Standard Edition at least provides an actual manual, just so long as the manual in question is the same as the emanual if printed out. Maybe not as thrilling in black and white, but better than nothing. I'm just wondering, what is the price?

And naturally, I am also wondering, what is the price of the color Collectors Edition.

I just today treated myself to a print out of the manual, the players guide and had the Players Guide charts do in colour. My cost, after taxes, 27 bucks. I think it was acceptable. It's full 8.5x11 page size and in the case of the manual, I got it spiral bound as well. Because 300+ pages won't sit flat easily any other way.

I think the books done for World in Flames were superb. Is the usual format for Collectors Edition done in the same fashion? And again, I am interested in the price.

I realize that one manual will be different from another game's manual due to differing page counts. But eventually, most game manuals tend to be pretty much about the same after a certain amount of page count. I don't know if 300 and 350 are much different.

But it should at least be possible to have a base cost for the Collectors Editions manuals listed in their specific games. Or is there some procedure to meeting the requests for Collectors Editions purchases that I am just not aware of?

Just curious.
Wargame, 05% of the time.
Play with Barbies 05% of the time.
Play with Legos 10% of the time.
Build models 20% of the time
Shopping 60% of the time.
Exlains why I buy em more than I play em.
MrsWargamer

RE: Collectors Editions

Post by MrsWargamer »

65 views no answers..... is there no one looking that has any information?
MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

Missed this thread, just read it now.

tm.asp?m=3736443

Now inasmuch as I have gone the route of my own efforts and made a spiral bound black and white edition, I myself might not want to retroactively get the superior hardcover colour edition. But, the thing is, there is yet still no sign of mention of how much it will cost.

Come on guys, the game is out, it's not 'coming soon' any more. I can understand if Slitherine Group is not going to be ready prior to Christmas to ship, but, you can't tell us you don't know how much the book will cost. And that is the question, exactly what are you expecting us to pay for the Collectors Edition which is basically the book, because no one who knows a damned thing about anything, is going to be thinking there is any need to ponder the added cost of a disk included with the book. The added disk with the 3 books of MWiF was an insignificant cost add on. Disks are worth at most 20 cents.

The price of MWiF was a bit of a shock, but it was admittedly 3 books.

We all want to at least hear the price of the Collector's Edition, and what will be involved in getting it.
wodin

Post by wodin »

Would never bother with a collectors edition..a big rip off in my humble opinion.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

i collect games, but only if its the right price, so would if it was cheaper, but dont buy just to add to collection as it's always cheaper in the end with most stuff if not needed atm
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

ORIGINAL: wodin

Would never bother with a collectors edition..a big rip off in my humble opinion.

Well I would tend to agree. I have absolutely no idea why people spend 10 bucks plus shipping and taxes just to get a dvd case, jacket and a silk screen disk. Dvd case, jacket and disk are worth at most 50 cents. There is zero reason to spend 10 bucks to have it shipped.

But to get a full colour hard cover manual for some of the manuals that reach to 300+ pages for some of the games is sometimes alright. Unless the price is right over the top.

The cost to buy the 3 manuals for MWiF was certainly quite a lot. And then a month after, a get a bill from FedEx wanting 13 bucks additional. I stiffed them and just ignored the 13 bucks demand.

I'm just curious what the manual for WitW is going to be.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

like a massive hard back book i guess and hope[;)]
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

ORIGINAL: MrsWargamer
But, on looking at the games that DO have the Collectors Edition option, there is never any indication of price.

10 bucks for Physical Shipment to me is a dumb waste of 10 bucks plus shipping and taxes. But hey, you give the customer what they want. I just can't fathom the interest in attaching value to a dvd case and a silk screened dvd. It's worth 25 cents normally, not 10 bucks.

Now a Standard Edition at least provides an actual manual, just so long as the manual in question is the same as the emanual if printed out. Maybe not as thrilling in black and white, but better than nothing. I'm just wondering, what is the price?

I think there's a bit of a misunderstanding here.

DX - Digital Express Edition = No printed manual. If you order the physical version, you get the box + personalized DVD.

ST - Standard Edition = B&W printed manual + box + DVD.

CL - Collector's Edition = Color printed manual + box + DVD.

The cost is the physical cost, which is clearly listed on each store page. For DX and ST, it's usually $10 more than the download only price, CL is usually $15 more due to the extra cost of the color printed manuals.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Now inasmuch as I have gone the route of my own efforts and made a spiral bound black and white edition, I myself might not want to retroactively get the superior hardcover colour edition. But, the thing is, there is yet still no sign of mention of how much it will cost.

Come on guys, the game is out, it's not 'coming soon' any more. I can understand if Slitherine Group is not going to be ready prior to Christmas to ship, but, you can't tell us you don't know how much the book will cost. And that is the question, exactly what are you expecting us to pay for the Collectors Edition which is basically the book, because no one who knows a damned thing about anything, is going to be thinking there is any need to ponder the added cost of a disk included with the book. The added disk with the 3 books of MWiF was an insignificant cost add on. Disks are worth at most 20 cents.

There's a serious misunderstanding here - the Collector's Edition is not a separate option. Each game has only one physical option, either DX or ST or CL. War in the West is a Collector's Edition game, so all physical copies have the hardbound color manual and all of them cost $15 more than the download only edition. That price has been live and announced since release, just like the download price. There is no other price to be announced. If you buy the physical version, you will get the CL hardbound color manual.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

Well I would tend to agree. I have absolutely no idea why people spend 10 bucks plus shipping and taxes just to get a dvd case, jacket and a silk screen disk. Dvd case, jacket and disk are worth at most 50 cents. There is zero reason to spend 10 bucks to have it shipped.

But to get a full colour hard cover manual for some of the manuals that reach to 300+ pages for some of the games is sometimes alright. Unless the price is right over the top.

The cost to buy the 3 manuals for MWiF was certainly quite a lot. And then a month after, a get a bill from FedEx wanting 13 bucks additional. I stiffed them and just ignored the 13 bucks demand.

I buy the disk so that when I change computers and need the game again I do not have to hope Matrix still has it available for free download.
Favoritism is alive and well here.
wodin

Post by wodin »

I wasn't talking about Slitherine to be honest but other games like RPG's..with figures etc etc.
MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

ORIGINAL: Twotribes

I buy the disk so that when I change computers and need the game again I do not have to hope Matrix still has it available for free download.

They don't make computers any more without dvd burner drives. But even so, even burning to disk is largely old style as storage drives are as common as dirt. So what you are saying, is you have no capacity to store the data anywhere any how?

Thanks for clarifying about the manual Erik, was not aware the manual is just a routine add on of 15 bucks when colour. That's actually a good deal. Anyone passing up the colour hardcover option, is kinda peculiar :) But I'd only be paying for the manual in my view. I mastered burning data to disk 15 years ago.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

i have 3 pc's with no dvd or cd'rom in them, only usb to install stuff of, we used to call them dumb terminals but have no idea what they call them now days
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

ORIGINAL: Twotribes

They don't make computers any more without dvd burner drives. But even so, even burning to disk is largely old style as storage drives are as common as dirt. So what you are saying, is you have no capacity to store the data anywhere any how?

Thanks for clarifying about the manual Erik, was not aware the manual is just a routine add on of 15 bucks when colour. That's actually a good deal. Anyone passing up the colour hardcover option, is kinda peculiar :) But I'd only be paying for the manual in my view. I mastered burning data to disk 15 years ago.
What is easier to find? A CD Box with CD inside or a small device that holds memory? Which of the two is more able to handle being moved around and possibly banged up?
Favoritism is alive and well here.
MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

Two Tribes, your argument is so totally worthless, it is tragic.

Are you saying you can't burn a file to a disk. That is what your post implies, that you can't burn a file to a disk.

I have my games on a storage drive, on a tablet, on dvds, and I could store them in the cloud if I felt like it.

It is handy that Slitherine Group provides back ups of course, as stuff happens. I needed one the other day in spite of things.

Which basically illustrates how your disk could just as easily be scratched and then paying 10 bucks for it was pointless.

I have yet to experience ANY form of problem with flash drives though. They cost peanuts, they hold now a days up to 64 gigs of data. 64 gigs, I own almost every game on from Slitherine Group WW2 And that barely exceeds 55 gigs :)

The only thing I'd be paying for, if I wanted physical copy, is the manual. The disk and the jacket are worth next to nothing.
vonRocko

Post by vonRocko »

I'm with you Twotribes. I have no idea how to burn files or move anything. I just play games on it, I don't know what makes them run. That is why I buy physical copies.
Hell, I just learned how to "copy" and "paste".[:D]
MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

Yer kidding, you can't put a file on a disc?

I wouldn't even let you in the same room with my electronics with that level of knowledge :)

Return to “General Discussion”