Are you having Campaign Problems?

This forum is for official support and troubleshooting FAQs.

Moderator: Jason Petho

berto

RE: Are you having Campaign Problems?

Post by berto »

ORIGINAL: 1925frank

When I bring up the unit box, there's a column that used to show all that unit's unique abilities...
That's the problem. In that small space, there was never room enough to show them all. Most unit abilities were never displayed there. Which is why they were moved to the F2 Unit Handbook display.

See Coder Diary #7 -- Morale Modifiers, Unit Capabilities, and More.
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com
1925frank

Post by 1925frank »

Thanks! An eminently good and practical solution.

Regarding the F2 button and unit information, one of the things I liked best about Campaign Series way back when it first appeared was the information giving the history about the unit. I don't know who did all the research, but it added immeasurably to the game.
1925frank

Post by 1925frank »

I was trying to get the "read me" file for the WF night scenarios pulled up, and I designated adobe, but adobe can't read it, and now I don't know how to convert the file to anything else -- or what else to convert it to. In the process, all the other "read me" files were converted to adobe, which means all my "read me" files are presently unreadable. They were all converted into adobe, but adobe can't read any of them. Any suggestions?

Re WF night scenarios, it's been so long, I don't remember the history, but I think WF was the first CS to issue, and it had a primitive night scenario format. Then came EF, and I'm not sure if it improved on the night scenario format. Then came RS, and my recollection is it definitely had an improved night scenario format, and sometime down the line it was incorporated into EF but never into WF until now. Is that how it went?
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

Which files were you trying to read exactly, and where are they?
1925frank

Post by 1925frank »

The file I was trying to open was "wf_night_scn_readme" found in the "John Tiller's Campaign Series" folder, but it relates to the "Mods" subfolder. Three other "readme" files in the "John Tiller's Campaign Series" folder (but also relating to the "Mods" folder) were affected as well: "blitz_h2h_readme"; "rs_unit_bases_readme"; and "wf_unit_bases_readme."

When I tried to open it, I was given the option of downloading something from the web or using something already on my computer, and Adobe was already on my computer, so I used that. Adobe can't read it, and my attempts to return the files to their original format have been unsuccessful. They're currently stuck with Adobe's insignia on them, and every time I try to open them, Adobe tells me it can't.

I could always uninstall and reinstall. I know how to do that now. But I still wouldn't know how to open the "readme" files.
simovitch

Post by simovitch »

Not sure about those readme files you mention, they might be formatted for the JSGME mod manager.

The readme file is wf-night scenario coversion.txt found in C:\Matrix Games\John Tiller's Campaign Series\Mods\WF - Night Scenarios\West Front.
simovitch

nick2

Post by nick2 »

I am playing east front campaign dynamic and when I upgrade to regiment and try to start battle it says there is an error due to not being able to find Russian regiment size. It then kicks me out again and I have to press begin campaign 5 or 6 times before it lets me progress. Is there a fix? Thanks.
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

No, there isn't.

It will be remedied with the 2.10 UPDATE that will be released in 2016.

The issue is that there may not be a Russian Regiment to find, it is more than likely a Brigade at that level or organization.

Jason Petho
Darino

Post by Darino »

I got the same thing Nick got. While i was VERY happy to see a new patch (to me that means the game is still popular and people play as much as I! yay!), does this mean I cant play a campaign series until 2016?? oh no!
berto

Post by berto »

This "bug" only applies to some, but not all, East Front DCGs of a certain size. We are preparing a 2.02 Update release that should soon remedy the situation.
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com
scottintacoma

Post by scottintacoma »

Actually with future updates, I think that XP support will be gone, so you will have to be running Win 7 or 8.
Darino

Post by Darino »

Thanks Berto...I will await, patiently, for the update. I got the game back in the late 90's and still have the original manuals, so I guess you could say I am a diehard.
mariogigio

Post by mariogigio »

Hi. I'm experiencing troubles with Western front Afrikacorps. I've been promoted to German Division Commander (5 light division) but the mission didn't start.

Ad alert box appears stating WEST FRONT.EXE [ERROR ID 1000] UNITALLOCATOR .CPP, LINE 949, CUNITALLOCATOR: BUILD FORCE ()) FOR NATION GREAT BRITAIN, LEVEL BRIGADE, UNABLE TO GET STARTING ORG

pressing OK another box appears ...etc LINE 886 buildforce() returns null, unable to create forces

pressing OK two more boxes appear relating to errors at line88 and 355. Then the program exits.

the problems should be solved? I hope so.
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

Unfortunately, the program is looking for British Brigades and is only finding regiments. Hence the crash.

As part of the 2016 fixes, the campaign OOB's will be revised and corrected.

Jason Petho
mariogigio

Post by mariogigio »

... but i'm playing in german Afrikacorps and non in British Army!
Moreover, the problem arises when promoting from Regiment Leader to Division (or Brigade, maybe) Leader.
Wuold you mean that when playing (withe the exception of British) starting from Batallion the maximum I could aspire is to be a Regiment Leader? This seems to be quite strange...

Kindly regards

LM
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

Your opponent is British, hence the issue.

Jason Petho
Tidavis

Post by Tidavis »

mariogigio. I have a question for you. Well maybe more. The error line states it could not build a Brigade level force for the British but you state that you had just gotten a promotion to Division Commander.

Do you still have the .ccd and the .org files for that DCG? I would like to take a look at them.

WRT to solving the British Brigade level problem. For this specific DCG open up the British Regiment 009.OOB Find a Regiment that is present for the whole time period covered in the DCG. Now copy the entry into the British Brigade 009.OOB and change the R to G. Next do a find to make sure that number is not already used. If it is just search for a number that is not used and use that number.

Save the file. This will give the campaign builder something to use when it starts up. Plus here now there is bug somewhere in the old code that will cause the campaign builder to erroneously report that error message.

Try again it will work.
Warhorse

Post by Warhorse »

Thanks for stepping up, Tim![&o]
Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com
Tidavis

Post by Tidavis »

After taking a look at the Afrika Corps DCG Campaign file it will not be a quick fix. There are no Orgs for this level that are present for the whole campaign.

One needs to be built from Company level with appropriate platoon upgrades. Not hard just a pain in the rear.
Tidavis

Post by Tidavis »

Wrong again. It was a quick fix. Since neither the Germans or the British had any "brigade sized" units for terms sake present in the campaign, that is a level higher than regiment and lower than division not much in the way of a fix is needed.

Where the problem is coming from is that the Germans have a "brigade sized" org available within its Campaign01.OOB.

All that is needed to fix this small problem is a Campaign01.OOB that only has the Afrika Corps present. Here you go. Rename your Campaign01.OOB to a backup file and put this in its place and you should have no more "caused" problems with the "cannot build org" error.

Rename this file from .txt to .OOB
Attachments
Campaign01.txt
(2.6 KiB) Downloaded 14 times

Return to “John Tiller’s Campaign Series Support”