Published on October 20, 2009
David Heath, Director of Operations at Matrix Games, said “Smugglers IV is a great game that really pulled us in with ‘just one more turn’ gameplay. The galaxy is a sandbox for your alter-ego and it’s really up to you how far you rise or how fast you fall (and whether you stay within the law or go completely outside it). The backstory and ongoing events add to the immersion, but the high replayability and fun gameplay are what kept us coming back and ultimately made up our minds that we needed to bring this title to our customers.”
Through trading, fulfilling missions, or pirating, you can earn the money and skills necessary to buy new ships and upgrade your equipment. As success brings larger ships, missions, and enemies, you'll have to manage a crew, board & plunder enemy ships, and even conquer star systems. You can move up in rank with the factions you align with and gain special abilities and powers as you become more experienced. Smugglers IV offers addicting open-ended gameplay where the opportunities for victory are virtually limitless – make your choices wisely, however, as your actions will ultimately have an impact on a galactic scale!
- Acquire up to 60 different abilities and choose between 6 different professions (trader, combat trader, mercenary, bounty hunter, smuggler, and pirate).
- 24 star systems with over 75 planets. Visit your favorite planets or discover some new systems. Beautifully crafted planet art.
- Four different factions with completely different ship textures, uniforms and medals (depending on your success you can pin rank signs, ribbons and medals on your proud chest).
- Completely new spaceships ranging from small fighters and corvettes up to large freighters and battleships.
- Crew combat featuring battle droids, EMP weapons and commando attacks. You can board and capture enemy ships.
- The ships have special equipment and abilities that makes every spaceship unique.
- Turn-based space combat system including different abilities such as cloaking, recharging shields, boarding enemy ships, etc.
- Advanced trade systems (Realistic supply-and-demand based pricing for those who love to trade)
- Non-linear war and campaign system. You can influence the war and how you do that is now displayed even better.
- Unique text engine providing different storylines of the war and mission descriptions (e.g. 10,000 different war declarations possible). Maybe this is the first time this has been successfully accomplished in a computer game.
- New music and SFX created by Nathan Madsen.
- Special locations spawning on the map (like hidden treasures, spy ships, VIP traders, alien artifacts...).
- Smuggling and pirating are lucrative and meaningful with hideouts and aging of criminal flags.
- Become Admiral and get command over a fleet of ships (in some missions).
- Attack large space stations and conquer whole star systems!
- Special end-game content: 7 new missions only available for battleships!
- No waiting! In many space trading games it takes you ages to go from X to Y. In Smugglers different star systems are just a mouse-click away!
- And much, much more...