Gregor Whiley, Vice President of Strategic Studies, said “We are delighted to be working with Matrix Games again. This year will be the twentieth anniversary of the publication of the original Battlefront game. We believe that the new Battlefront system will set new standards for wargaming, just as the first Battlefront did.”
While the Battlefront system shares a design philosophy with SSG's award-winning Decisive Battles series, it is actually an entirely new system specifically designed for battalion-level combat. This level of play gives the player a chance to experience true issues of command, control, sighting, and supply at a level that emphasizes plenty of tough but enjoyable decisions to make. The combat system provides new and varied ways to damage your opponent, with provisions for direct and indirect fire, air strikes, and special, historically-accurate combat modes (such as Japanese Banzai attacks).
Players will have full control over the off-map movement of their units; players can move units in special off-map areas, getting realistic control over where and when to employ their reinforcements. Opponents will never be entirely sure where and when these units will arrive, increasing the tension and fun.
Battlefront is due for release by August, 2006.
Features of the new Battlefront system include:
● Improved Strategic AI enables a more flexible response to fast changing battlefields
● Improved user interface simplifies unit information
● Command and control system that rewards correct employment of military assets
● Close combat routines have special attack modes such as Banzai, Surprise and Infiltration
● Indirect Fire from artillery and air assets can directly attack enemy units
● Direct fire from AFVs can attack enemy units at range
● Counter-battery fire can eliminate enemy artillery
● Eliminated units can be rebuilt as cadres and returned to battle
● Sighting, command, supply and danger zone rules encourage sensible use of artillery
● Complete Unit, Map and AI editor allows users to create scenarios from scratch
● Improved Play By Email security