Vietnam

Campaign Series: Vietnam is a new turn-based, tactical/operational war game that focuses on the Indochina War, Vietnam Civil War and the first years of US involvement in Vietnam with over 100 historical scenarios.

Moderator: Jason Petho

Jason Petho

Re: Vietnam

Post by Jason Petho »

Ongoing operations today in 1966:

12-25 Jan.
Operation SHORT FUSE, 2d Brigade, 1st Infantry Division search and destroy in Tay Ninh Province.

12-31 Jan.
Operation BUCKSKIN initiated. The 3d Brigade, 1st Infantry Division will conduct a clearing operation around Cu Chi to protect the establishment of the 2d Brigade, 25th Infantry Division.

New Operations today in 1966:

24-26 Jan.
Operation QUICK KICK III, 1st Brigade, 1st Infantry Division search and destroy in Binh Duong Province, Song Be river.

24-26 Jan.
Operation PIONEER II, 2d Brigade, 1st Infantry Division search and destroy in Bien Hoa Province.

24-30 Jan.
Operation RETRIEVER II, 173d Airborne search and destroy in Bien Hoa and Binh Duong Provinces.
Zovs

Post by Zovs »

Good morning Vietnam and today's top song from Jan 1966 is.

Hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again
Because a vision softly creeping
Left its seeds while I was sleeping
And the vision that was planted in my brain
Still remains
Within the sound of silence

In restless dreams I walked alone
Narrow streets of cobblestone
'Neath the halo of a street lamp
I turned my collar to the cold and damp
When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

And in the naked light I saw
Ten thousand people, maybe more
People talking without speaking
People hearing without listening
People writing songs that voices never share
No one dared
Disturb the sound of silence

"Fools" said I, "You do not know
Silence like a cancer grows
Hear my words that I might teach you
Take my arms that I might reach you"
But my words like silent raindrops fell
And echoed in the wells of silence

And the people bowed and prayed
To the neon god they made
And the sign flashed out its warning
In the words that it was forming

And the sign said, "The words of the prophets
Are written on the subway walls
And tenement halls
And whispered in the sounds of silence"
Beta Tester for: War in the East 1 & 2, WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific, Valor & Victory, Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm, Computer War In Europe 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator
jbmoore68

Post by jbmoore68 »

Good Morning, Vietnam !!!
berto

Post by berto »

On This Day

25 January, 1966

A USAF C-123K lost power and crashed after take-off from An Khe, en route to Bong Son killing all 46 persons on board.

Vietnam20230125.jpg
Vietnam20230125.jpg (165.7 KiB) Viewed 592 times
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

12-25 Jan.
Operation SHORT FUSE, 2d Brigade, 1st Infantry Division search and destroy in Tay Ninh Province.

12-31 Jan.
Operation BUCKSKIN initiated. The 3d Brigade, 1st Infantry Division will conduct a clearing operation around Cu Chi to protect the establishment of the 2d Brigade, 25th Infantry Division.

24-26 Jan.
Operation QUICK KICK III, 1st Brigade, 1st Infantry Division search and destroy in Binh Duong Province, Song Be river.

24-26 Jan.
Operation PIONEER II, 2d Brigade, 1st Infantry Division search and destroy in Bien Hoa Province.

24-30 Jan.
Operation RETRIEVER II, 173d Airborne search and destroy in Bien Hoa and Binh Duong Provinces.

25 Jan.-4 Feb.
Operation MASHER/THANG PHONG II is launched. The 3d Brigade, 1st Cavalry Division (1/7, 2/7, 2/12), the ROK Capital Cavalry Regiment, the 2d ARVN Airborne Task Force and elements of the 22d ARVN Division will launch a search and destroy operation in the Bong Son Plain between Hoai Nhon and Tam Quan in conjunction with the Marines operation DOUBLE EAGLE

25 Jan.
A new CIDG camp opens at Kinh Quan II for detachment A-412.
jbmoore68

Post by jbmoore68 »

berto

Post by berto »

On This Day

26 January, 1960

Two hundred VC guerrillas attacked the headquarters of the ARVN 32nd Regiment, 21st Division in Trang Sup village in Tây Ninh Province northeast of Saigon. The VC killed or wounded 66 soldiers and captured more than 500 weapons and a large quantity of ammunition. Later, a VC spokesman said that "the purpose of the attack was to launch the new phase of the conflict with a resounding victory and to show that the military defeat [of the South Vietnamese Army] was easy, not difficult." The attack shocked the Diệm government and its American advisers. A U.S. Embassy study of the implications of the battle recommended that two divisions of the ARVN be trained in guerrilla warfare.

Vietnam20230126.jpg
Vietnam20230126.jpg (192.6 KiB) Viewed 545 times
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

12-31 Jan.

24-26 Jan.

24-26 Jan.

24-30 Jan.

25 Jan.-4 Feb.
Operation MASHER/THANG PHONG II is launched. The 3d Brigade, 1st Cavalry Division (1/7, 2/7, 2/12), the ROK Capital Cavalry Regiment, the 2d ARVN Airborne Task Force and elements of the 22d ARVN Division will launch a search and destroy operation in the Bong Son Plain between Hoai Nhon and Tam Quan in conjunction with the Marines operation DOUBLE EAGLE

None
jbmoore68

Post by jbmoore68 »

berto

Post by berto »

On This Day

27 January, 1967

Operation Desoto, conducted by the 3rd Battalion, 7th Marines, begins in the Đức Phổ District. The 2-1/2 month operation eventually results in 383 VC and 76 U.S. killed.

Vietnam20230127.jpg
Vietnam20230127.jpg (172.17 KiB) Viewed 487 times
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

12-31 Jan.

24-30 Jan.

25 Jan.-4 Feb.

None
Big Ivan

Post by Big Ivan »

I just love this!! I come here almost everyday to read some news and operations about Vietnam. All good stuff including the song lyrics!!

Rock on Gentlemen!! :D
Blitz call sign Big Ivan.
jbmoore68

Post by jbmoore68 »

berto

Post by berto »

On This Day

28 January, 1961

President Kennedy met with his national security team for the first time. He approved the counterinsurgency plan proposed by the U.S. Embassy and authorized the additional funding needed to implement it. The plan called for increasing the size of the ARVN from 150,000 to 170,000 men.

General [Edward G.] Lansdale gave Kennedy a pessimistic report on the situation in South Vietnam. Kennedy proposed that Lansdale be named Ambassador to South Vietnam, but the Department of State and CIA successfully opposed the nomination. Lansdale was "not a team player" and "too independent."

Vietnam20230128.jpg
Vietnam20230128.jpg (93.1 KiB) Viewed 443 times
Zovs

Post by Zovs »

Good morning Vietnam!

Coming in at number 3 in 1961…

I'm a travelin' man and I've made a lot of stops
All over the world
And in every port I own the heart
Of at least one lovely girl

I've a pretty señorita waiting for me
Down in old Mexico
If you're ever in Alaska stop and see
My cute little Eskimo

Oh, my sweet Fraulein down in Berlin town
Makes my heart start to yearn
And my China doll down in old Hong Kong
Waits for my return

Pretty Polynesian baby over the sea
I remember the night
When we walked in the sands of the Waikiki
And I held you, oh so tight

Oh, my sweet Fraulien down in Berlin town
Makes my heart start to yearn
And my China doll down in old Hong Kong
Waits for my return

Pretty Polynesian baby over the sea
I remember the night
When we walked in the sands of the Waikiki
And I held you, oh so tight

Oh, I'm a travelin' man
Yes, I'm a travelin' man
Yes, I'm a travelin' man
Whoa, I'm a travelin' man
Beta Tester for: War in the East 1 & 2, WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific, Valor & Victory, Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm, Computer War In Europe 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

12-31 Jan.

24-30 Jan.

25 Jan.-4 Feb.

28 Jan.-15 Feb.
Operation MALLET begins. The 2d Brigade, 1st Infantry Division will conduct a search and destroy operation between Nhon Trach and Binh Son in Bien Hoa Province. The Vietcong D800 Battalion has been reported in the area.

28 Jan.-17 Feb.
Operation DOUBLE EAGLE /LIEN KET 22 kicks off. Task Force Delta, consisting of 2/4, 3/1, 2/9 Marines and the SLF BLT 2/3, will join the 4th ARVN Regiment (2nd Division) in this operation. BLT 3/1 from the Philippines and BLT 2/4 from the Chu Lai TAOR will conduct an amphibious assault over RED Beach north of Duc Pho in Quang Ngai Province and then the combined forces will sweep the area of operations between Mo Duc, Ba To and Tam Quan, coordinating with allied forces from Operation MASHER in Binh Dinh Province.
jbmoore68

Post by jbmoore68 »

berto

Post by berto »

On This Day

29 January, 1954

United States President Dwight D. Eisenhower announced that 26 B-26 bombers and 200 U.S. Air Force mechanics would be provided the French to aid them in their war against the Viet Minh.

Vietnam20230129.jpg
Vietnam20230129.jpg (93.78 KiB) Viewed 395 times
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

12-31 Jan.

24-30 Jan.

25 Jan.-4 Feb.

28 Jan.-15 Feb.
Operation MALLET begins. The 2d Brigade, 1st Infantry Division will conduct a search and destroy operation between Nhon Trach and Binh Son in Bien Hoa Province. The Vietcong D800 Battalion has been reported in the area.

28 Jan.-17 Feb.
Operation DOUBLE EAGLE /LIEN KET 22 kicks off. Task Force Delta, consisting of 2/4, 3/1, 2/9 Marines and the SLF BLT 2/3, will join the 4th ARVN Regiment (2nd Division) in this operation. BLT 3/1 from the Philippines and BLT 2/4 from the Chu Lai TAOR will conduct an amphibious assault over RED Beach north of Duc Pho in Quang Ngai Province and then the combined forces will sweep the area of operations between Mo Duc, Ba To and Tam Quan, coordinating with allied forces from Operation MASHER in Binh Dinh Province.

29-31 Jan.
Operation KAMEHAMEHA II, 3d Brigade, 25th Infantry Division route security on Highway 19, Pleiku Province
jbmoore68

Post by jbmoore68 »

Return to “Campaign Series: Vietnam”