Knights of the Round - Rookie AAR

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes or how you had your Titan shot out from under you.

Moderator: MOD_TitansOfSteel

Burzmali

RE: Wrap Up

Post by Burzmali »

Well, an Alphastrike is a two-way street. You miss, and you have handed the initiative to the opponent. If your first AC12 round misses, you shrug, reload and try again.
Thorgrim

Post by Thorgrim »

ORIGINAL: Burzmali
I know further patches are unlikely, so I won’t go into detail, but it does take some of the suspense out of a battle when the first shot gives you a 40-ton advantage.

Notice that you've basically only played recons, and against recons and lights. That's not the "normal" advancement of a squad, but the result of a specific set of conditions set by you. It's also not the norm in a random game or mission/campaign. So I don't see this as a problem.
Iceman
Thorgrim

Post by Thorgrim »

Well, an Alphastrike is a two-way street. You miss, and you have handed the initiative to the opponent. If your first AC12 round misses, you shrug, reload and try again.

Heh, yea, but that was not the point.
Iceman
Burzmali

Post by Burzmali »

Well, a hit from an AC12 has a 12% of crit'ing regardless of the size of the AT. So regardless of the AT, an AC12 can knock an AT out of the battle on the first shot if you are unlucky. I wouldn't want a drastic change, just reduce the level of the crit by one if the shot fails to penetrate armor, or adjust the the effects % by the current % of the jocks HP for NBs...

And yes, that is the point for alphastrikes! Firing off an AC12 has no side effect to the attacker, but change swing the battle. An alphastrike has an upside and a downside that can be balanced.
Thorgrim

Post by Thorgrim »

Well, a hit from an AC12 has a 12% of crit'ing regardless of the size of the AT.

Actually you're wrong. It's 6% (dam/2). And it's concussion damage, so size isn't really relevant.
So regardless of the AT, an AC12 can knock an AT out of the battle on the first shot if you are unlucky.

Not exactly. If internal damage occurs, then it's 3 internal struct damage (dam/4), and LIGHT damage to systems IF the slot rolled belongs to some equipment, and the DCS doesn't prevent the damage. Hardly a killer blow. It's in the guide, read it.
I wouldn't want a drastic change, just reduce the level of the crit by one if the shot fails to penetrate armor, or adjust the the effects % by the current % of the jocks HP for NBs...

We're talking concussion damage here, so of course it's non-penetrating damage. And reducing level by one results in what, no crit?! You really should get better informed before making this kind of comment, it's recurrent in your posts.
And yes, that is the point for alphastrikes! Firing off an AC12 has no side effect to the attacker, but change swing the battle. An alphastrike has an upside and a downside that can be balanced.

First off, firing off an AC12 DOES have a side effect for the attacker, his heat rises and further weapons fire (and not only) may be handicapped. Hence the alphastrike button discussion of some time ago. Also, that was my point, at the time it was all nice and well for you if an alphastrike could kill in one blow; now it seems you're kinda contradicting yourself (and it's not the first time), with one shot kills unbalancing the game (again, based on a specific set of conditions).
As for balancing alphastrikes, that was discused too, and besides, "it can be balanced" seems to be your favorite phrase. [;)]
Iceman
Burzmali

Post by Burzmali »

ORIGINAL: Thorgrim

Not exactly. If internal damage occurs, then it's 3 internal struct damage (dam/4), and LIGHT damage to systems IF the slot rolled belongs to some equipment, and the DCS doesn't prevent the damage. Hardly a killer blow. It's in the guide, read it.

I did read the guide, thank you, but I suppose it could have been the opponents HMG... but I could have sworn the impact was large, and the Stingray has more than 13 AP on it's CT...
Thorgrim

Post by Thorgrim »

Not very closely it seems...
Was this ONE specific situation, after all?
Iceman
LarkinVB

Post by LarkinVB »

Burzmali, I think the critical damage rules are pretty balanced. You just played with recons where a concussion crit is more effective of course. 62 battles with recon just is not common. I played a squad through 140+ battles and later on I was happy for early crits so I could practise repair skill [:)]
Burzmali

Post by Burzmali »

I may have mis-read the hit, but I didn't have a problem with a heavy meson guns causing the crit, that's what their there for. I was just perturbed that an AC12 seemed to cause medium damage to the engine while failing to penetrate the armor. I wasn't implying that it was game breaker or anything. The same applies to NB scoring a KO on the first hit. Balanced sure, but it takes some of the fun out of a battle when the first hit KOs an opponent.
Thorgrim

Post by Thorgrim »

Well, depends on the size of the battle, doesn't it? 40 tons out of 400+ isn't really that debilitating, not for a human vs AI at least. 40 out of 120 is significant.
As for NBs, it's a radiation attack, not a viral one, so current jock HPs isn't an issue IMO. The chance a jock may be KO'ed in any hit is minimal, and depends on a few factors, some of them controllable by the player.
Iceman

Return to “After Action Reports”