Coup de Main /Modem users beware

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises.

Moderator: Arjuna

Analog Kid

Coup de Main /Modem users beware

Post by Analog Kid »

Ok I diecide to try again, with more pictures. Best viewed in 1024x768 or higher.

Image[/img]
Coffee tastes better if the latrines are dug downstream from an encampment.
- US Army Field Regulations, 1861

Never trust a private with a loaded weapon, or an 2nd Lieutenant with a map.
- Actual Factual Truth~9 times out of 10
Analog Kid

1st Drop 0800-1414

Post by Analog Kid »

There are many ways the 82nd drop, but I like this one the best.
I wait until 0800-0830 drop is finished. Then I attack the bridges and set up in town for the later drop in the afternoon.

Image[/img]

Dont forget to get the Graves bridge

Image[/img]

When the 82nd hq has finished dropping I move them up behind the 325th. I also begin my firebase.

Image[/img]

I wanted to start this probe about an hour earlier but hindsight is 20/20. The 505th is going to drop just east of the bridge and I wanted to stir up the garrison troops. Get them out of thier postions when the 505th attacks.

Image[/img]

Analog Kid

2nd Drop

Post by Analog Kid »

Second drop.

I wait till all of the 505th is down then attack the bridge.

Image[/img]

I wait till all of the 508th is down then attack the west side of town.

Image[/img]

I then place the last 2 Arty pieces into my firebase. Praying that they wont run into anyone they cant avoid.

Image[/img]

Analog Kid

Overnite

Post by Analog Kid »

Ok its 2000 hours, roughly 3 1/2 hours after the last drop. The 508th has just started its attack into the west side of town. The 82nd with the 2 Bn 325th attached has met little resistance and 505th needs to be across the bridge NOW. An SS Bn min has started probing the 504th which has achived the north end of the bridge brushing aside the garrison with realtive ease. So no sleep for the 505th tonight. Better luck next time :)

Image[/img]

Looks like no one is going to sleep tonight. With the 505th leaving its time to secure the eastern approaches.

Image[/img]

After 505th sucessfully pushes the SS Bn west and begins setting up in a defensive posture I Move the 504th to a better postion.

Image[/img]

I also want to start clearing out whats left of the town garrison in preperation for setting up my defensive perimeter tommorrow.

Image[/img]

Analog Kid

Daybreak

Post by Analog Kid »

In the north the SS Bn has turn into at least a Bde. I think the 505th is a little spread out for my tastes but they are dug in so I decide to leave them to face the SS as is.

Image[/img]

In the south its time to setup the perimeter. No serious oppsition encountered over nite. No rest for the weary yet. Buck up boys, your Country loves you.

Image[/img]

Analog Kid

Defensive Postion

Post by Analog Kid »

I notice the 82nd base is in a wierd location so I move it, after slecting the insu command for the 82nd.

Image[/img]

This is where I decide to wait till the Armor starts rolling in.

Image[/img]

Analog Kid

Hurry up and wait

Post by Analog Kid »

I pretty satisfied that I can hold the bridge at this point and its time to wait. The one thing Im not happy with is the 505th and I plan to move it back alittle south and make it tighter. I'll wait till the cover of darkness though.

Image[/img]

So far in pretty good shape and its time to dig in and hold on.

Image[/img]

That's all I can do tonight. Part 2 sometime in the coming week. I would like to thank the band Rush for providing my soundtrack ( got 5 hours [:)] ) and the Noodles and Co for providing the Indonesian Peanut Saute ( extra spicy ) to eat.

Salute!
Analog Kid

Analog Kid

Counter Attack Begins

Post by Analog Kid »

Im alittle worried about 3rd Bn 325th, but they have good position and entrenched. I dont think those bridges are worth a serious attack right now and I hope the enemy agrees :)

Image[/img]

There's at least a Bde to a Divison coming from the west. The 3rd Bn 325th is making it hard on them crossing the bridge and it looks like thier lead units are going towards town. It also looks like they are trying to avoid crossing thatbridge with some of thier follow on units.

Image[/img]

The SS is still throwing itself against the 505th with little success. In the south, 82nd and 325th are having no problem with a weak probe of at least a Bge.

Image[/img]

By 1804 it looks as if the attack in the west is headed towards town and that the follow on units that tried to cross where the 3 Bn 325th is located have decided the other bridge IS easier to cross :) The bad news is the arty is starting to fall in earnst now. Dig alittle deeper boys and start praying. Your Country loves you.

Image[/img]

Analog Kid

Nightfall 2nd Day

Post by Analog Kid »

In the north, the 505th is doing quite well. Even tho Im not happy about thier postion about 1/3 is entrenched at this point, which means the rest are not far behind. I think I will leave them there for now. I think I might try to put some armor over there tommorrow to help out if not shifting them is the wrong thing to do.

In the south, the probe is back. But Im not worried at this moment.

Image[/img]

The 3 Bn 325th has taken a pounding by arty all afternoon, but still hanging in there. I told them the British were bringing beer and the Irish probably has whisky with them. This raised morale concideriably.

Image[/img]

Ok thats it for now. Still in good shape I belive. First of the armor arriving in less than 12 hours. Questions or comments welcome.

Salute!
Analog Kid
Image[/img]

Banquet

RE: Nightfall 2nd Day

Post by Banquet »

Looks good, Analog Kid. I appreciate u posting as I'm playing a lot of HttR at the moment while waiting for CotA.. so it's nice to see and read about these battles [:)]

I've only had a quick read tonight because I've an early start tomorrow and must get some sleep, but I'll read it properly tomorrow.. looks interesting.. please keep them coming :)
Analog Kid

Post by Analog Kid »

I finding it fun and frustrating to to this. [:D] I hope the modem folks who click on this thread dont get to mad :)

Will have more up this evening after work.

Salute!
Analog Kid

Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

Good stuff - keep'em coming![:)]
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
Analog Kid

Overnite D2-D3

Post by Analog Kid »

Ok work went crazy. Here is a little more, hope to have more up by this evenin

Pretty quiet for awhile and the Cav has arrived early. Does this mean the Grenadier Guards will too? I hope so :) Ill send them to recon the route I want to send the Grenadier Guards.

Image[/img]

0Dark30.
So far still very quiet. In the north the SS continue to attack. It does look like some fresh units are arriving but are getting thrown in piecemeal and they are getting chewed up. The Cav has only seen a couple of weak units. I m pretty sure the GREN wont have any problems moving to the FEBA.

Image[/img]

Up to this point I havent done much with my arty, almost exclusively letting the AI control it. But I want arty for the attack this afternoon. I Like to use 2 arty Bns at a time to ensure a good punch when I do use it. So I use the 'Rest after bombard" option, give them a bombard mission in the middle of nowhere to get them resting. The other two I leave on call.

Image[/img]

Analog Kid

Daybreak 3rd Day

Post by Analog Kid »

Daybreak
Still looking good in the North. The 505th is doing well. If they keep this up medals and weekend passes to Paris are possiable.

Image[/img]

In the South very quiet. But there is a least a Divison somewhere out there.

Image[/img]

Ok time to plan. Up to this point the plan was very simple, take the main bridge and the west bridge and hold on.

Its the 3rd day and the Germans have not made a serious effort in the South But I bet will see it soon. I also think the north is going to heat up but the 504th and the 505th are entrenched and in great shape, so no changes there.

1. This road and CP is very important if I want to shove some armor over to the North Side tonight (if neccesary). I want the GREN to get it.

2. I figure since the Germans gave up so easy on the east probe and I think they were in aleast Div strength and Im sure more German reenforcments will headed in, I want to control the southeast approches with the GDS and 30Corps in position A or B depending on what the Germans do till they get there. I may have to assualt to gain those approaches. I'll wait till both have arrived attach the GDS and move out then.

3. Denpending on how the battle in the North goes depends on where I send the Welsh and the Irish is too far out to plan for at the moment.

Image[/img]

Banquet

RE: Daybreak 3rd Day

Post by Banquet »

Any more updates on your battle, Analog Kid? I was enjoying reading them [:)]
Analog Kid

Post by Analog Kid »

ok sorry folks had to reload windows, and work went crazy. I still have the save game and hope to have some up tommorrow. I lost some of my screenshot so I goto replay some of it.

Salute!
Analog Kid

Analog Kid

Post by Analog Kid »

Ok, Sometimes life sucks :) I kept saying to myself I needed to finish this, so here is attempt no 2.

Ok The Grenadier Guards did not come as early as I had hoped. Now looking at this now I cant belive I left the .....checkpoint open, without even overwatch. So I will probe the checkpoint and hope that all those missing germans are not there. Which in hindsight they probably are......

Also sent the cav to take a look. Good luck boys.....

The 325th has really gotten pounded all morning and I was worried, but I think the GREN will rescue them in time. The General sends his regards boys, He needs one 1 more hour.........

It looks like the German's want the west bridge and the GREN are running right into it. A classic meeting engagement :) Now I use (have been using) my arty I set aside too try and distrupt the attack.

Ok 30 Corps and GDS Hq is here and the GREN are across the river with little casualties. The Cav never got far and are hiding in the woods. Still no Idea if the Germans have ocupied it or not. Time to move the 30 Corps forward and wait to see the GREN find...

Analog Kid

Midday 3rd Day

Post by Analog Kid »

30 Corps is starting to move, but since its full of REMFs, its takin its sweet time. SARGENT MAJOR get those *%#@$^* troops moving!!!!!!!!
I now separate the Arty BNs and send them to a firebase. This should also help 30 Corp to move faster since those 2 units have more than a 1000 soldiers

1200 in the south
The probe has begun and have had a few retreats. But still proceeding nicely.
Getting some pressure from the south and they found my firebase. Im not to worried about it, 4 BN of Elite Airborne Atry entrenched will hold. HooWAH. At least for a little while. Unfortunely counter arty is starting to fall on them. Im thinking I might take a chance and attack west with some or all of the 508th. Ill wait a little longer to see how far the GREN gets.

In the north more SS have shown up and are getting killed by the dozens..... No worrys yet. Thats them leaving btw :)

Banquet

RE: Midday 3rd Day

Post by Banquet »

Good to see you continuing this Analog Kid [:)]
Arjuna

RE: Midday 3rd Day

Post by Arjuna »

Yes well done Analog.[:)]
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

Return to “After Action Reports [HTTR]”