Are all commanders Vipon?

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers.
todd77

Are all commanders Vipon?

Post by todd77 »

Im trying to capture more commanders but I fight Vipons very rarely, are all commanders Vipons?
hdm7k

RE: Are all commanders Vipon?

Post by hdm7k »

In the first era (before developing Plasma Cannon), you will only see Vipon commanders. With Bman's mod, their icon will have a gold (yellow?) border around it.

Later, you will see other type of commanders. And you will long for the "good old days" of Vipons... Good Luck!

Howard

todd77

Post by todd77 »

so no commanders will be larvas or the scittering buglike creatures..?

Yea Ive had a rude awakening with Robots, need some better armour bad.
They're pretty tough to beat with regular rifles
hdm7k

Post by hdm7k »

No Larva commanders, and I suspect no King Larva commanders either. No bug ones although I think they are properly called Chasers.

I just finished researching Plasma Cannons and on the very next mission some "hovering pyramid" thingie just popped out. Not sure what they are officially called. I had two tanks with me as I was using the scout as a newbie training mission with a couple of Sargeants babysitting. Unfortunately, I had to save and go to work. One tank is sitting there with 85 armor gone in one shot...

Oh joy! Now I'm back to where my guys fear for their lives again. [:D]

Howard

Hanal

Post by Hanal »

Blue robed "Floaters" (I forget their new name) are also commanders.....
hdm7k

Post by hdm7k »

Well, the next interception after the floater was a battlecruiser over water. 5 valiant Lightnings answered the call and SHOCK!, none died killing the BC. (Although one did resemble the mold that makes swiss cheese...)

So, next up, Main Base is attacked and lots of slowpoke robots with chips (cannon) on their shoulders show up, what is its official name? It's almost immune to plasma fire. Base survived, all soldiers but one wounded. My highest time-in-grade SFC was wounded 4 times, nearly ran out of medkits and stimpacks to fix everybody.

Howard

todd77

Post by todd77 »

Dude, thanks for the story, we really do care, but what the heck does that have to do with commanders?

Anyways, I need help, I havent seen any Vipons in 7 months to capture, and havent seen anything but chasers, larva, robots, the big psi-claw crab things
MjH

Post by MjH »

ORIGINAL: todd77
Anyways, I need help, I havent seen any Vipons in 7 months to capture, and havent seen anything but chasers, larva, robots, the big psi-claw crab things

Preachers and Phantoms have commanders as well, but it sounds like you're not far along enough in the game to have run across them. Are there any alien bases? They're a good place to find commanders. Cruisers and the larger ships will have them, and I have encountered them in Terror Missions.
todd77

Post by todd77 »

havent found a base yet, its january of the 2nd year. no preachers or phantoms
RkShaRkz

Post by RkShaRkz »

well, i'm not quite sure it depends on the size of the vessel; i had a commander in a Scout recovery mission... imagine how surprised i was - i was hoping to gain some XP with the fresh recruits and then bam, the commander wasted 6 of my 8 recruits :)
Roses are #FF0000,
Violets are #0000FF,
All my base
are belong to you...

Return to “The War Room”