GIUK 8.0 - how to attack bases successfully

Share your best strategies and tactics with other players by posting them here.
steeljackal

GIUK 8.0 - how to attack bases successfully

Post by steeljackal »

Hi,

I try the mission GIUK 8.0.
I try TLAM attack to two airfield bases but my most or all of my missiles went shoot down, and I achieved 20-80% damage, so I cant destroy two airfiled, neither one.

What is the strategy to a successfully strike attack.
TonyE

RE: GIUK 8.0 - how to attack bases successfully

Post by TonyE »

It is very difficult, if not impossible. Original GIUK is what we call one of the Legacy battlesets. Those battlesets (everything before EC2003 battlesets) cannot take full advantage of the changes to the game since about 2002. I would highly suggest playing user made scenarios for the commondb battlesets (anything EC2003 or newer) since they are much better tuned to the game you now have. The WestPac scenarios within the game are quite good too since they are newer (and frankly, user made, they just happen to be integrated in the game).
Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
Harpoon (HC, HCE, HUCE, Classic) programmer
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner
CV32

Post by CV32 »

As Tony has said, this particular scenario is very tough. In large part because the Tomahawks are considerably less stealthy than they ought to have been.
Brad Leyte
HC3 development group member for HCE
Author of HCDB official database for HCE
Harpgamer.com Co-Owner
panzer56

Post by panzer56 »

ORIGINAL: ogrando

I try the mission GIUK 8.0.
I try TLAM attack to two airfield bases but my most or all of my missiles went shoot down, and I achieved 20-80% damage, so I cant destroy two airfiled, neither one.

What is the strategy to a successfully strike attack.
When playing this scenario in Harpoon3 with the PlayersDB, select individual facilities for attack and not just the group icon.

[center]Rapier[/center]

NATO fears the overwhelming power of Soviet cruise missile attacks launched from long-range land-based bombers. Most of these bombers are concentrated in a relatively few airfields on the Kola Peninsula. This fact is not lost on NATO planners. The Soviets can expect NATO to attack these airfields with cruise missile-equipped submarines in an attempt to disrupt Soviet attacks on NATO shipping.

Author: Herman Hum

8.0 Rapier
Classic GIUK\Rapier.SCN

"Harpoon for Dummies" channel * FAQ * Facebook * HarPlonkHQ

Harpoon3.6.3 users can get the Complete PlayersDB Harpoon 3.6.3 Library
Harpoon ANW users can get the Complete PlayersDB Harpoon ANW Library
Harpoon HUE users can get the Complete PlayersDB Harpoon HUE Library
mavfin

Post by mavfin »

Short of rebuilding the Scenario in EC2003 to use the newer CDB, the best cure for this scenario, using the newer Game Engine is to open the scenario in ScenEdit, remove the fighters, and save it back. All they exist for in the Scenario is to shoot down Tomahawks, and they do it too well in the new GE. You'll still lose some to SAMs, etc, but you won't lose a bunch to AA missiles after the SAM engagement. This will even it up for a good run, imo, w/o making it too easy.
--Mav
TonyE

Post by TonyE »

Well said Mavfin. My shaky memory suggests the TLAMs were rarely good enough over the history of HC to actually destroy the bases. That'd be a fun study for someone, running all of the HC20 versions of the game and seeing which ones actually allow the Blue player to win that scenario.
Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
Harpoon (HC, HCE, HUCE, Classic) programmer
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner
mavfin

Post by mavfin »

Since it's an original GIUK, I suspect it was taken into account that in the old days, you could use your antiship missiles (i.e. Harpoons), too. Later GEs understand SURF vs SEA vs LAND.

However, the new GE should be easier in one respect, since it won't fire SAMs at the Tomahawks till they come over the horizon for illumination at 23 miles, so that lowers the number of engagement cycles they get. The fighters really hurt, because they're not limited by vlow, as long as they have LD/SD, which I believe the Flankers and Fulcrums had. Also, there's a Mainstay available, which in the old days would have allowed the SAMS to fire on the Tomahawks at max range, besides helping the fighters.

(There's 3 mainstays, 12 Fulcrums, and 30 Flankers in this scenario as written.)

I'm thinking the original ability to get in close and fire the Harpoons may have helped, too, because that makes it 15 missiles per sub, rather than 9 (w/o nuclear release). Add 3 more per sub with nuclear release, but w/o nukes, and no Harpoons, you're talking 36 tomahawks (4 subs) to kill a couple bases. Not really gonna happen, unless you get a nuke hit.

--Mav

Return to “The War Room”