The Fine Tuned mod V 1.7

Post your mods for Hired Guns here.
Foraven

The Fine Tuned mod V 1.7

Post by Foraven »

This is the Fine-Tuned mod 1.7 by Foraven (rforce27@hotmail.com)

What this mod does :

This mod use as base the work of Reinforce (Jagged Edge Reinforced 1.3) but a lot of it has been tweaked and changed (i have no skinning or modeling skills so
all that can be found in the mod are either dev's work or Reinforce). I rebalanced all the weapons in the game, they have in general greater range and some do
more damage to reflect the weapon's power or it's ammos. I adjusted AP for each weapons to reflect their cycling rate and ease of use. I made a lot of other
changes to try to make each weapons closer to what they are in RL (i'm open to arguments here if someone disagree) using this site http://world.guns.ru/main-e.htm.
I also added a few unused melee weapons (machete, throwing knife(can't be thrown :( ) and a few others) and adjusted their stats so they are not exactly the same.
I fined tuned the grenades, there are now quite a few differences between them other than damage. Made a few adjustment to the availability of weapons and other stuff,
cheap and common hardware appear more often at the shop while expensive or rare stuff less often. I also made a few improvement to the AI so it waste less AP doing
redundant movements (like going back and forth for no reason), chose better when to go into melee, know when to switch between melee and ranged weapons and most importantly,
know where and when to use grenades (no more spam, but bunching up attract grenades). I reworked all the inventory mercs and other characters carry, expect to see more
melee weapons and fashionable gears like bandanas and caps, and the weaker enemies are less likely to be armored and well armed (also reduced the amount of grenades,
about everyone had many of them). Also note that machineguns now use boxed ammos that can't be used with other guns (because they are belted). I did add a few descriptions
to weapons and equipment in the game. And last, i rebalanced every character in the game to be more human and reflect their class and threat factor, they are no hercules or
god of war left :). There are fewer differences between easy / medium / hard difficulty level, equipments and weapons remain the same, but hiring cost change, as well
as how easy it is to hit your enemies (of course, i might add a few differences later).

New weapons :

From Jagged edge Reinforced : Rx4 Storm, Bushmaster ACR, G36C, G36k, MP7A1, HK416, HK416 Carbine, HK417, SCAR-L, SCAR-H, SIG556, M99 Beretta Sniper rifle, AK-74M, Groza,
FN FaL DMR, HK21E LMG, HK MG43, M249 SAW, PKP Pecheneg, TKB-0145K Sniper rifle, L96A1 Accuracy International PM, Steyr Scout, PGM 338, RAI Model 300, SVN-98, V-94 "Vzlomscik", AT4, GM-94.

From this mod : AR-15, Berdysh, Grach, S&W 5906, TMP, Vikhr, Kiparis, Glock 21, Desert Eagle .357, PK, RPK, FN49, PSS, Machete, Small Knife (it's a throwing knife, but can't be thrown),
Kinjal, Kuchil, Brass knuckles, rk95tp, rk62, m62s, m2carbine, m67, l2a2, lu-213, rgk-3, m26, sae210, sae310, sig550, fnmag, mk46, mk11, sr25, hkump 9mm, dm-51, dm-61, rgo, e-105.

Revision :
- Fixed the neutral AI so it turn hostile if you take shots at it.
- Improved the AI code so npcs don't try to aim through walls or large obstacles (things that block line of sight completely). This speed up battles.

1.6d
- Added missing names to new characters i added.
- Further fixes to AI inventory
- Changed the look of civilians at the mines so they look like workers.

1.6c
- Fixed several AI bugs.

1.6b
- Fixed a bug that crippled the AI (introduced by 1.6a).
- Fixed a few AI's inventory mistakes.
- Did a few tweaks to the AI.
1.6a
- Added the missing grenades.
- Added new grenades : dm-51, dm-61, rgo, e-105.
- Improved grenade descriptions.
- Several minor fixes.
- Increased the odds AI throw a grenade when target is behind obstruction.
- Enabled the guards (guys holding the heavy weapons like machineguns) to move like everyone else.
- Disabled the line of code that made soldier switch to a knife when negociating around obstacles.
- Added several new hats.
- Made some some improvement and fixes to the AI.
- Corrected description for akm (now state it has 40 bullets capacity).
- Fixed a few typos in Things.xml that made some soldiers spawn without a gun.
- Fixed ragdoll physics so corpse drop properly when killed.
- Added new description to several armors and helmets/hats.
- Made changes to armor protection.

1.5b (minor fixes)
-Missing 7.62x33 ammo added (caused crash).
-Missing mk 48 and mk 46 picture added.

1.5a
-Fixed bug that prevented spawning on certain maps.
-Swapped the look of kevlar helmet with the heavy helmet (look more appropriate).
-Increased the availability of FM P90 and FMK-3.
-Removed extra files i added by mistake in v1.5, the archive will be smaller now.
-Fixed a serious bug with the AI that was introduced with 1.4.
-Reworked the whole inventory of every characters in the game.
-Modified missions so new inventory show up.
-Adjusted stats of characters for each difficulty level.
-Fixed some visual issues with some characters in the game.
-Fixed sound and explosion effects for grenade launchers and rocket propelled grenades
-Fixed buckshots, they now spread properly.
-Reduced number of shotgun pellets to 12 (more standard), and reduced the damage penality.
-Added new grenades : m67, l2a2, lu-213, rgk-3, m26, sae210, sae310 and renamed the old ones to their proper names.
-Fixed RPO-A rocket launcher, used to have 2 ammo and ridiculous damage, as well as being available too early.
-Reduced the AP cost of shooting GL and RPG.
-Adjusted the AP cost of shooting heavy snipe rifles.
-Adjusted damage and fire rate of m2 machinegun.
-Added rk95tp, rk62, m62s, m2carbine, sig550, fnmag, mk46, mk11, sr25, hkump 9mm.
-Removed ammo restriction, you can now swap ammos as in stock game.
-Added silencer capability to most rifles, including 7.62 ones.
-Removed sight restrictions to weapons because adding a scope don't change the sight angle, this caused an imbalance between scoped rifles and the ones with the add on.
-Adjusted range of carbine types rifles : they now have shorter range and lower accuracy, but have longer burst (ideal for cqb).
-Fixed weapon sounds, there was a few mistakes and missing sound.
-Made a few adjustments to several weapon's stats.
-Changed the availability of certain weapons.
-Fixed the availability of clips/mags so they appear when they are needed (there was a few oddities).
-Fixed ammo count on shotguns, their clips now match their capacity and reload/unload correctly.
-Reduced the space used by ammos, i had set the values too high, it prevented players from carrying healthy supply of them and caused problems with the AI.
-Changed max ammos on machineguns to create some difference between them (added ammos box for them too).
-Reduced price of addon.
-Added modified combat icons, they should no longer mask the targets.

-Several more fixes to weapons and ammos
-Added several new weapons to use (AR-15, Berdysh, Grach, S&W 5906, TMP, Vikhr, Kiparis, PSS, Glock 21, Desert Eagle .357).
-Improved AI stamina and AP management.
-Adjusted rifles power, reliability and rarety (so it's easier to get them than sniper and a good alternative to AR).
-AI won't sneak and dodge if no armed enemies present (ie attacking civilians).
-Shotguns are now more common at the shop
-adjusted wich AR weapons could use silencers (most can now, exept the large caliber or the already silenced)
-Sniper don't support any option now, they don't need any.
-Added new ammunition for the new weapons.
-Made a few adjustments to damage fallof of each types of ammos (there was a few mistakes and oddities there).
-Adjusted weapon pricing, some had ridiculously low price for how good they are (like the Calico).
-Fixed the Groza loudness, it's supposed to be silenced.
-Changed the Enfield l85a1 to l85a2 (no point in having an unreliable crap when we have so many weapons to chose from).
-Fixed weapon reliability to be closer to RL, there was some wacky numbers there.
-Improved appearances of shotgun tracers, they feel more right now.
-adjusted shotguns accuracy ; it's unfortunate but pellets spread is linked to accuracy, it also mean slug are innaccurate too.

-Fixed a few mistakes in the data files. Some weapons did not have their ammos, or could not use them.
-Made a few balance fixes to the Data Files.
-Started to rewrite the items descriptions so they are more informatives (uploaded as a second file due to file size restriction).

-Lowered stamina cost and made crouch as fast as walk (hey, moving crouched isn't that slow)
-Improved AI, now don't run so much, will be able to sneak on you.
-Changed the special skills of many enemies, many were not useful.
-When low on breath, there is a chance the AI will pause to catch it, this should prevent the AI from always fighting breathless.

-Fixed clip/magazine inventory space, cost and availability.
-Fixed a corrupt file
-Fixed AI bug left in the last version (Damn it was hard to find) that prevented melee attacks.
-Fixed AP ammos values (damage too low)
-Sniper ammos are special now, don't mix with standard rifle ones.
-A small fix to enemies inventory
-Greatly improved the AI, it's now much smarter than stock.

1.0 First version.

Future plans :

-Improving the AI further, i prefer smarter enemies than having them with super human stats.
-Having models and skins for every weapons added by Reinforce (Can't make them myself though).
-Adding hand axe (with model, this is africa after all :) ), having models for crowbar.
-Finish the translation of comments in the LUA files to make AI modding easier.
-Changing the Quiz so it's less guesswork to create our avatar.
-Adding new types of armor.
-Adding new character skins.
-Adding even more weapons.

Install tips :

-Make backups of your Basis directory before installing this or any other mod.
(note: if you already modded the game before making backup, it's better to reinstall the game and make a fresh backup, with latest patch installed).
-Copy the basis directory of this mod over the basis directory of the game, you must overwrite any file that you are prompted to do. If for some reason you end
up with duplicate file/directory or extra directories that did not exist before (like "fine tuned xx"), remove those and start over.
-If you have a non english version of the game, you have to copy all the files contained in the mod locale/usa dir to your localised dir so the new names and
description show up (you end up with english words along whatever language you normally use though).

Credits :

Reinforce (Jagged Edge Reinforced)

Note : I strongly suggest starting a fresh game to make use of this mod, especially if you started it under a previous version of this mod. Some of the changes made in earlier version
are likely to cause crashes if used with old savegames. Game started after v1.5 should not cause problems.

http://www.mediafire.com/?p1452gtbu2k52uz
james_austintx

RE: The Fine Tuned mod

Post by james_austintx »

Thanks for cooking this up. Not sure if this is a bug or not. I was going through the various xml files in the logic folder and the one called Persons.xml does not load. Gives an error...the other two persons files load...

Thanks again!!!

Foraven

Post by Foraven »

ORIGINAL: james_austintx
Thanks for cooking this up. Not sure if this is a bug or not. I was going through the various xml files in the logic folder and the one called Persons.xml does not load. Gives an error...the other two persons files load...

You are right, i have to fix that. Not sure why but it got corrupted, fortunatly there was few differences between the person files so i can fix it quickly. Strange it did not crash my game while loading a medium difficulty game... Should be fixed quick, i will upload it soon.
Foraven

Post by Foraven »

Deleted
james_austintx

Post by james_austintx »

Glad I could help. I also think this game has a lot of potential but maybe they ran out of time. Not sure.
Foraven

Post by Foraven »

Glad I could help. I also think this game has a lot of potential but maybe they ran out of time. Not sure.

Well, i believe that game had quite a few problems along the way, like changing hands and having copyrights issues. I don't expect they ever finish it. I don't mind as long as we can fix it ourselves. I hope though they will make a few improvements to it before stopping to update it.
ZK

Post by ZK »

Won't have a chance to try it out until later so one question.  Does the AI actually shoot at you now? 

As for Mistland/GFI and Strategy First IIRC things didn't go smoothly from square one.  If I am remembering right Mistland/GFI wanted to do the game in realtime for starters and got pissy when they were forced to go with turn based.  Imagine that, fans of TB game actually expecting the sequel to be TB also.  I need to try and track down the Mistland/GFI's peoples comments after they were dropped by Strategy First.  According to them they had a game that was in everyway superior to JA2:)
Foraven

Post by Foraven »

ORIGINAL: ZK

Won't have a chance to try it out until later so one question.  Does the AI actually shoot at you now? 

Yes, it does, and a lot :). I'm still rooting a few issues with the new code i added, but the AI does perform very well with the changes.
Foraven

Post by Foraven »

I wish i knew how to display lua's logs, that would greatly help me figure out what's wrong with my AI. Almost everything works fine, but there are a few instances where the AI stall and do nothing for a while. All i can do is guess right now...
Hard Sarge

Post by Hard Sarge »

thanks for doing the work, sounds like some good ideas
Foraven

Post by Foraven »

I'm almost done with my new version, i should have it done today. There was a very hard to find AI bug in it but i'm almost done fixing it, the AI should be able to use melee now (i'm my release version, they kept shooting instead until they ran out of ammos, then they would use melee). I found a few quirks with the xml files data too. I just want to be sure my AI work perfectly well before sending the new version and that all the test stuff and wacky code are removed (i'm still learning how the lua work, my earlier code was pretty clumsy). Anyway, it's coming alone nicely :).
ZK

Post by ZK »

First a question, the AI changes are all in the Scripts\AI folder correct? I've been using just those files with my own modifications of the weapons and items. I started a new game and noticed an improvement in the early game but now that up to rifles and assault rifles it's not playing that much differently from the stock version. It's the same old get everyone prone on the high ground and shoot down the AI as it runs at you like an idiot.

Couple theories. Is there some minimum hit percentage the AI is going for? What I think is more likely is the AI simply can't see my mercs and is just rushing blindly towards the sound contacts.

Early game when all you have is a steel helmet and camo vest your camo value is pretty low, 17% I think. I usually go with kevlar helmet, kevlar pants and either a kevlar or assault vest which puts your camo at 33% or 27%. If I'm understanding Constants.xml correctly being prone adds another 30% to your camo. By contrast with the AI always running they're 20% easier to spot or can be spotted 20% farther away. End result is the player can see, and hear, them long before they can see the player.

So do you think there is anything you can do with the way the AI moves? For example make crouch/sneaking or prone the default movement when they take fire or hear gunfire within a certain distance. Or at least end each turns movement by crouching or going prone.
Foraven

Post by Foraven »

New version up! Now 1.1. Improved the AI a lot, check this out.

ZK : I'm always looking at improving the AI (when i'm not fanatically searching where i did a typo in the lua files :P ). I haven't tested the AI very far in the game, i was just getting it to do well in relatively close combat. Of course, what you suggest is possible, i can try to implement something like that. I guess you might become my tester for that :).
Foraven

Post by Foraven »

Zk : I checked what i can do about the movements of the AI. The good news is that i can make it use sneak or even crawling when needed, but the bad news is that i can't make it use the silent mode like the player can. I will try to code something so the AI run when it make sense to, and use sneaking and crawling from time to time. Fortunatly i can't make them hide :(. 
Foraven

Post by Foraven »

The new ai scripts are going along fine, expect some new surprises when i'm done with it. 
james_austintx

Post by james_austintx »

Looking forward to seeing what you have done
Foraven

Post by Foraven »

Looking forward to seeing what you have done

Then you will be happy :). Version 1.2 is ready (took me a while but now it works :) ).

Check first post for download.
Foraven

Post by Foraven »

If anyone has stories fighting my AI, please share. I want to know how well it perform and if there are issues or needed improvements. 1.2 AI should prove much harder than 1.1, i hope it's challenging enough to experienced players :).
Foraven

Post by Foraven »

deleted
james_austintx

Post by james_austintx »

Can you check the M24 rifle? I was unable to load any ammo into it.

Return to “Mods”