Trying something new

Post reports of your decisive victories and ignoble defeats here to share with other players.
Texashorns

Trying something new

Post by Texashorns »

After starting several games from 1.6, 1.7 beta and now 1.7, I decided to try an alternative history approach. After conquering Poland and Denmark as usual I went straight for Yugoslavia and continued into Greece. Instead of DOW on the Benelux countries I blew a hole in the Maginot Line, widened it, isolated Strasbourg, parachuted into Metz, steamrolled into Rheems, and surrounded Paris. Eventually Itlay decided to join the fun and began the envelopment of Marseille, paratrooped onto Malta, and began invasions of Tunisia and Egypt. Meanwhile the Russians DOW on Finland. I made Finland human controlled and proceeded to take Murmansk, Klem, Vyborg and one other hard to pronoune russian city. Russia eventually took at the baltic states. This where things got a little strange. After Latvia fell in August 1940, I began to notice large numbers of Russian troops beginning to deploy along the border with German occupied Poland. Although I always leave Poland occupied by several divisions and corps, I had no armor in Poland. I also noticed fortifications along the border on the Russian side. I began to transfer units to the East as France, though not surrendered, appeared to be on the brink. October 1940, Russian forces pour across the border east of Konigsberg and west of Brest-Litovisk. After getting within 3 hexes of Konigsberg, the Wermacht stemmed the tide. The shock event then took hold. Germany units began to knock the Russian line back and Russian units began their withdrawal. The fortified standoff north of Lenningrad with the Fins disolved as Russian units withdrew south.

Was playing this last night until 1am when I couldn't keep my eyes open any longer. I am eager to see what develops next. I am hoping that leaving the Benelux countries alone, and having Russia DOW Germany, that the Americans will stay out of the war a little longer than usual. Italian forces, without assitance from Germany yet, are pressing Tunis and closing on Alexandria. The Italian navy controls the MEd. THe german navy was wiped out in an unsuccessful bid to invade Norway. (still haven't been able to figure that one out). France should be done soon once Marseille falls. Romania joined the axis shortly after Russia DOW and promptly sent a infantry corps and divsion to france. Probably not needed there and better used defending Romania. German and Italian units are defending Romania at the moment. Finland who has yet to join the Axis are working to envelope Lenningrad. Hungary has yet to join also. Another change from previous games is I have used axis dp's on Spain. The result is a waste of dp's as the allies counter my diplomatic initiatives each time. So where my dp's are wasted, I guess the allies and forced to use them to counter me instead of using them for whatever they usually use them for.

Has anyone else had a game where the Russian AI chose to break the treaty with Germany? Has anyone playing as Russia who broke the treaty seen any diplomatic fall out for Russia when they do this? From a game standpoint, as has been discussed in other posts, it is a smart move by the AI to do this. The shock effect will be less devestating because a) the germans have to push the Russians out of occupied Poalnd first and b) the effect is tkaing place in the fall and winter months when the german army can't make as big a gains.

Man I love this game.
cpdeyoung

RE: Trying something new

Post by cpdeyoung »

I am impressed the AI atacked you.  I do not know that I have seen this in ToW.

I am finishing the year 1940 with the Allies in a game which never saw Italian entry.  In late December 1940 the Soviets and French are being careful not to step on each others toes in central-southern Germany.  The Soviets have four L2 Strat Bombers working over Berlin, while the two British L2 Strat take on Hamburg. The British had to stop bombing the Ruhr when the Red Army occupied it.  The Soviets entered the war when they demanded Bessarabia, and the Romanians brought in the Germans.  I did not intend them to enter at that point and was surprised, but as you can gather it worked out well.  The AI could not handle the two front war!

Chuck

PS : I love this game too.
Texashorns

Post by Texashorns »

An update of the game outlined above. It is now July 1941. France has surendered and Vichy established. The Afrika Korps and Italian Army have taken Egypt. The only fighting going on is the Eastern Front. Nearly a year after the Russian attack, the Germans have pushed the Russians back. They have encircled Pskov, Tallin, Misk and Kirovohrad. They have encircled and killed large chunks of the Russian Army. They have pushed into Russia reaching Velikiye Luki, Dnipropetrvosk, Kryvyr Rih and Zaporoze. By Fall I hope to establish a Line from east of Lenningrad to Smolensk to Kiev.
The Rumanians have been very little help. As I leave out of supply Russians behind the Rumanians clean them up. In the south a large Italian army anchors the line against the Black Sea. The Italians took Odessa and continue to drive southeast.

In the north, Finland has yet to join the Axis, but are faring well on their own. They have captured all but one of the far north cities including Murmansk. Archangel is islolated. The Fins also captured Lenningrad and are working on linking with the Germans.

The Benelux countries are still intact. THe Americans took the focus on others event vs Japan. I'm not sure what that means. I guess true test will be in the coming months to see if they enter the war.
guy4game

Post by guy4game »

i love this game too.
Buy wow account, if you already have your own character in the Runescape,
Why you wanna buy wow account? So why take all the hassle of playing too long in the same quest when you can improve you wow account and level as fast as you can?

Return to “After Action Reports”