Nato Counter Mod

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Unity of Command.

Moderator: 2xPelin

pzgndr

Nato Counter Mod

Post by pzgndr »

First shot at a NATO counter mod. Just unzip into the unit_icons and unit_rot directories. Be sure to backup originals. Let's see if the uploads work. Later, I can tweak some of these now that I've got the routine down. Enjoy.

Attachments
UnityofCommand.jpg
UnityofCommand.jpg (328.97 KiB) Viewed 979 times
Bill Macon
Empires in Arms Developer
Strategic Command Developer
pzgndr

RE: Nato Counter Mod

Post by pzgndr »

unit_icons files
Attachments
unit_icons_nato.zip
(28.25 KiB) Downloaded 121 times
Bill Macon
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

unit_rot files.
Attachments
unit_rot_nato.zip
(784.57 KiB) Downloaded 101 times
Bill Macon
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

Thanks. Will check them out tonight. [:)]
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

I think I will touch these up some more in the next couple of days? The military symbols seem a bit too wide. For the Germany Infantry sample in the screenshot, I've narrowed it a little and it looks nicer. Maybe lower it one more pixel. Easy enough to do but there are 22 different unit types to go through and edit. That little batch file nenad provided works like a charm for reproducing the unit_rot images, but you still need to do the first one, x22.

Attachments
UnityofCommand2.jpg
UnityofCommand2.jpg (42.17 KiB) Viewed 975 times
Bill Macon
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

You're probably being a bit fussy there, but I am going to try to get some time in with game tonight, so will use what you have now. I'm actually surprised more people aren't modding this, considering all the hoopla about no Nato counters 
Kipper

Post by Kipper »

Time to buy, thanks very much for your work.

@rosseau just no time these days - but I don't feel too guilty as I have done a lot of mod work in the past!
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

OK, second version of these Nato counters looks better. To me at least. [;)] Next post will have the download, with both unit_icons and unit_rot files zipped as before but combined into a single download. I'm done modding for now and will commence to pushing around virtual cardboard.

This is pretty easy once you get going. If anyone wants to further mod what I've started please feel free. Enjoy!

Attachments
UnityofCommand3.jpg
UnityofCommand3.jpg (336.33 KiB) Viewed 976 times
Bill Macon
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

Attachment nato2.zip contains unit_icons_nato2.zip and unit_rot_nato2.zip
Attachments
nato2.zip
(799.84 KiB) Downloaded 143 times
Bill Macon
SeaMonkey

Post by SeaMonkey »

Nice looking for an amateur![;)] Hey Bill, you think you might lose the background square counter and just leave the military symbol? Maybe go transparent, I mean the color shading of the occupied area pretty much renders the base squares unnecessary. Besides, it will center the nato symbols in the hex, then add the unit size to the top of the symbol, you know XX is a division, III a regiment/KG, and then...no you're not through yet[:'(], put the unit designations on there, like LAH, 2nd PZ, 44th INF, 16th Mot INF.

Let me think about some more changes....I'll get back to you[8D]......it's good to be the Boss![:D]
Barthheart

Post by Barthheart »

ORIGINAL: SeaMonkey
Nice looking for an amateur![;)] Hey Bill, you think you might lose the background square counter and just leave the military symbol? Maybe go transparent, ....

Don't laugh but I was considering doing that for a counter mod so you could see the terrain in the hex better.......[8D]
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
TomBombadil711

Post by TomBombadil711 »

ORIGINAL: pzgndr

Attachment nato2.zip contains unit_icons_nato2.zip and unit_rot_nato2.zip

I have downloaded and installed your mod and like it very much. Thanks for sharing!
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

and like it very much

Alright, I am keeping track of the butt-ugly nato mod counter fanbois. I'm just saying. It's not like this is the end of the Mayan calendar in 2012 or anything that some players prefer standard boardgame counters, just a basic fact of life and something encoded in our DNA. Can't help it!! Danke sehr! [:D]
Bill Macon
SeaMonkey

Post by SeaMonkey »

Beauty is always in the eye of the beholder! Opinions are like @ssholes, everyone has one, so considering the source, is always in order and recognition of a variety of aesthetics leads to enlightenment.[:)]

Do I really need to go on,[8|] let's just see some more entries.[8D]
Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

Thanks, looks very good, it's nice to have a choice of heads, or counters, makes the game much better to play for me.[:)]
"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon
Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

Had a chance to play some games with the new icons, big improvement for me, much easier to see which unit is which. Thanks again, nice work. [:)]
"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon
Flaviusx

Post by Flaviusx »

Nice mod.
WitE Alpha Tester
ComradeP

Post by ComradeP »

Decent looking counters, although I'd still consider bland NATO counters to be a step backwards for a wargame with more modern graphics.
SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester
Unity of Command scenario designer
cherryfunk

Post by cherryfunk »

Damn you!  I might have to purchase this game now... the goofy giant heads was my main complaint!

cherryfunk

Post by cherryfunk »

Okay, so I bought the game because of this mod and its ability to replace the giant heads, and both the game and mod are fantastic!

One request though, if any further revisions are planned for the counter mod -- could you make the Italian units stand out a bit more?  Their color is so close to the German counters that it can be hard to tell them apart without looking closely...

Return to “Design and Modding”