Battle of Berlin

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderator: doomtrader

Greyshaft

Battle of Berlin

Post by Greyshaft »

Here's the end game for my Barbarossa defence. It's mid 43 and the Germans are frantically digging in on the Seelowe Heights. My strategy of just building Level 2 INF Corps with the occasional TAC air has worked quite well for the Russians but before I finish this game I want to point out that I had an unfair advantage - I played without FOW. I think that if I played with (say) three hex visibility I would have been a lot more cautious and the game might have ended quite differently. There's a few things that should be done to tweak the AI but I'd say it's a good enough opponent for now.

Attachments
berlin1.jpg
berlin1.jpg (362.06 KiB) Viewed 485 times
/Greyshaft
Magpius

RE: Battle of Berlin

Post by Magpius »

Great Pic.
(If only units could stack).
If I'd played this with FOW, I'd be in a panic.

"I don't believe in reincarnation because I refuse to come back as a bug or as a rabbit".
brucesim2003

RE: Battle of Berlin

Post by brucesim2003 »

I suspect the AI doesn't use FOW in any case.
Greyshaft

Don't underestimate this %$&*@## AI !!!

Post by Greyshaft »

While I was pushing on Berlin it was getting a counterattack ready in Crakow. I saw the units building up there but thought it was preparing a defence in depth ... my mistake. I put some extra INF there but not enough to save all of my airforce - I lost 3 TAC to the Panzers but I think I've got him bottled up now.

If I'd been playing with a realistic FOW I'd be dead - he'd be in Konigsberg and I'd be in Lubyanka :(

Attachments
counterattack.jpg
counterattack.jpg (460.74 KiB) Viewed 480 times
/Greyshaft
JudgeDredd

RE: Don't underestimate this %$&*@## AI !!!

Post by JudgeDredd »

Berlin in '43 doesn't sounds like a great AI - it has to be said though playing with FoW off does give a massive advantage.

I'm currently playing as Germans in Barbarossa and heading slowly (very slowly) to Stalingrad...though I am on the doorsteps of Moscow - but it looks busy there.

As for stacking units...I'm not sure what the deal is with that? Does it really matter? Especially at Corps and Division level? What are the benefits of stacking and why is it important?
Alba gu' brath
Magpius

Post by Magpius »

re: stacking; just to make it more of a board game is all.

"I don't believe in reincarnation because I refuse to come back as a bug or as a rabbit".
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

ok. Thanks
Alba gu' brath
Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

ORIGINAL: Agent S

re: stacking; just to make it more of a board game is all.

I found the Shift/click control useful to make units exchange hexes (provided they have APs), good when you need to reshuffle your front line and you can't stack. In France I had inadvertently got a weak German Para unit in the front line, Shift/Click enabled me to exchange, with a good Inf Korps moving to the front and the para safely back into the second line.

This overcomes some of the problems of no stacking.[:)]
"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon
Magpius

Post by Magpius »

@Rasp.
V. [8D]

macroeconomics

Post by macroeconomics »

I'd like to see the ability to do limited stacking in a future version. In particular, the ability to stack an additional aircraft counter in a hex. So one could stack the planes in a hex or one plane and a ground unit. I think that would require more extensive use of Crtl-mouse clicking in order for an opponent to differentiate which unit he is targeting when attacking a stacked hex.
Greyshaft

Post by Greyshaft »

admin types - perhaps this belongs in AAR?
/Greyshaft

Return to “After Action Reports”