The "Actual" Greatest War Movie ever

With over 7000 threads, a lot great material lies buried in the Darkest Reaches. These represent what the community has agreed are some of the best SP:WaW threads to date.

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

VikingNo2

RE: The "Actual" Greatest War Movie ever

Post by VikingNo2 »

A picture called " The Beast " its about a Russian tank crew in Afganistan, my second favorite it The Big Red One[:)]
Ironfist738

Post by Ironfist738 »

Anyone ever hear of a German film called "The Bridge" I was looking through E-bay and found a Late war movie Poster, I wonder if it's about the Riechstag ???[&:]

Attachments
MoviePost..eBridge.jpg
MoviePost..eBridge.jpg (175.06 KiB) Viewed 422 times
SpWaW Game Veteran since 1991
Puukkoo

Post by Puukkoo »

Almost every other Finn is singing praise of 'Talvisota' or 'Tuntematon sotilas', which both are great movies, but I gonna pick a different one.

PATTON

Even Elvis did like it. Perhaps because it has M-48's for which Elvis was trained as crewmember. Tanks in the movie were not of course authentic type, but greatness of the movie is far better than its flaws. A magnificient movie.
Don't be shocked, I AM funny.
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

ORIGINAL: Ironfist738

Anyone ever hear of a German film called "The Bridge" I was looking through E-bay and found a Late war movie Poster, I wonder if it's about the Riechstag ???[&:]

It isn't. It's about a tiny group of Hitler Youth defending a bridge against the Americans during the very last days of the war.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
sadja

Post by sadja »

"WE WERE SOLDIERS", and "Objective Burma" The latter was about the best protayal of a small unit mission. The warning order given in that movie made in 1945 could have come out of the ranger handbook of the 80's. The jump commands were the same one's given to me in 1979 and the jump footage was great. Like all movies of that era it had lots of propaganda to sell war bonds but the scenes were so tech sound. The one problems the Japs were all played by Chineese.

Sadja
Your never Lost if you don't care where you are.

Tom Massie GPAA
Puukkoo

Post by Puukkoo »

'Objective Burma is a great film'. It is nominally propaganda, but is a good film. Errol Flynn is great in there and he also said that it was one of those few films he's really proud of.

And if you like 'Objective Burma' you might like also 'A Walk in the Sun' (1945).
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

Or "Catch 22" for sheer absurdity. Saw it the other day...
Ironfist738

Post by Ironfist738 »

Thanks I was wondering about it. Is it any good ?
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

It is actually quite good. The story is about the group of boys, and their terror, and it's done very well.
Ironfist738

Post by Ironfist738 »

Thanks for the Info....

Attachments
SSTotenatKursk43.jpg
SSTotenatKursk43.jpg (39.04 KiB) Viewed 422 times
Puukkoo

Post by Puukkoo »

I think the Games Depot has a scenario about the film. It is called 'Die Bruecke', if I remember correctly. If you can't find the film you can still play the scenario.[;)]
jaffa

Post by jaffa »

Quite difficult to answer. I´ll try to find Categories.

Topic: Die Bruecke
Actors: Das Boot
Realism: (as I have no experience, thank god i don´t!!!--- U might say i´m wrong)Tora!Tora!Tora!
Historic Backgrnd: Tora!Tora!tora!
Scenery: Brothers in Arms
Story: Apocalypse Now

Some more words 2 each of ´em:

Die Bruecke: It shows the simple small useless battle ´bout a bridge in the last months of WWII. Allthough its B/W the pics burned themselves into my mind.
Das Boot: THE MOVIE to get an idea of whats giong on in the heads of German WWII soldiers.
Tora!³: Great ´cause both sides /w their motivation on all levels (gov, diplomatic, Generalstaff and the single pilot) are shown w/out haveng the "bad" or the "good" guy.
Great Action too.
BiA: I saw it first like a year ago. I was impressed!! Nearly each part of the Allied assault on europe is shown...great chars too
Apoc.:I love the psycho-circus!! great music, mad chars, psychedelic³, the bridge they cross by boat is just sooo wicked^^

Result:

---->Tora!³ is the best!!!

other good ones to jaffa:
-Stalingrad
-Ryan (parts!!) As I watched in the movietheatre i had to laugh about the Hollywood "GoodblessAmerica" stuff (the banner at the beginning and in the end f.ex.)
-Fullmetaljacked..
-goodmorning Vietnam

Dislikes:-this Steiner-stuff.
-Enemy at the gates (oh my god^^)

Hehe, u gave me a lot of movies, i have to watch^^
Sry´that i didn´t pick one w/out mention some others :P

Steel Panthers ---- the only really ruling strategy-game
Zardoz

Post by Zardoz »

to ironfist:

"Die Brücke" is very famous in Germany. It is abotu the last days of the war in a small nameless town sitauted on a small river..with a bridge over the river. Six school boys are the last male members of a school class at the local "Gymnasium": they are about 16 years old. They become suddenly conscripts as US troops approach the town, are put in uniforms, get arms and left in the town by their company commander to "defend the bridge". His intention is to save their lives because the bridge should be blown up.

Of course, everything goes wrong...an American spearhead reaches the bridge, the boys fight as they were told in school and in the HJ and are all except one killed, the last by Germans as he tries to prevent the demoliton of "his bridge".

Very realistic..one of my favorite scenes is when the boys are dropped at the bridge and understand that they are left behind to avoid combat. First , they are very angry because they want to fight, then sme trucks with wounded pass the bridge and they see and hear the woundes "Landser" covered with dirt and blood, some without arms, crying...then they are silent..
"No other troops in the world but German paratroops could have stood up to such an ordeal and then gone on fighting with such ferocity" — Field Marshal Alexander.
Titanwarrior89

Post by Titanwarrior89 »

Pvt. Ryan.
"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"
Titanwarrior89

RE: smells like victory

Post by Titanwarrior89 »

Private Ryan![:D]
"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"
wdboyd

RE: smells like victory

Post by wdboyd »

1970 - 1991 U.S.M.C.
"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils!"
Jullutin

Post by Jullutin »

a bridge too far and/or Apocalypse now -"I just love the smell of napalm in the morning"[:D]
Anyone seen Jarhead... is it any good?
"Best soldier in war is one who has accepted that he has already died. Time,place or way is unrelevant"
SGT Rice

Post by SGT Rice »

Another vote for Kelly's Heroes.

How about a second category for the small screen?

Band of Brothers is awesome but the Richard Sharpe series gets my vote.
GG A World Divided Playtester
DataKing

RE: Just a thought

Post by DataKing »

Earlier in this thread someone mentioned curiosity about a movie showing the final days of Berlin. I would recommend checking out Downfall. While the film focuses on the last days in Berlin as experienced by one of Hitler's secretaries, there are some extremely powerful scenes regarding what is going on "above ground" at the time...worth checking out for all interested in the subject.

I should mention that, at least the version that I saw was in German with English subtitles (I know how some people feel about subtitles)...not sure if there is a dubbed version or not.

On IMDB:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0363163/
"Welcome to the human race."
-Snake Pliskin
General Turgidson

RE: Just a thought

Post by General Turgidson »

OK, here's my two cents worth. I own or have seen most of the films discussed in the previous posts. While they mostly deal with specific times and events in history ( battles, campaigns and etc.), for those of us who are sticklers for accuracy, many of the films fall short of the mark (i.e. Enemy At the Gates showing T34/85 turrets mounted on an amoured train in September 1942, and Cross of Iron commiting the similar error in showing T34/85s in the summer of 1943),but I still like both films.  For those Americans who enjoyed Saving Private Ryan (or anyone else) who hasn't seen Talvisota, it is well worth your time. I was glad to see someone mention Catch 22, for war is an act of the absurd. The flim that I nominate deals in hypothetical coldwar absurdities and hyperbolies, Dr. Strangelove. Yes, I realize it is not a "War Film" concerning an actual event per se-but for those of us over 50, the possibilites it portrayed were humoursly frightening. Black comedy in high art form.

Return to “SPWaW Thread Hall of Fame”