Europe Aflame - any thoughts on setup etc?

Post advice on tactics and strategies here; share your experience on how to become a better wargamer.

Moderators: ralphtricky, JAMiAM

Martin_Goliath

Europe Aflame - any thoughts on setup etc?

Post by Martin_Goliath »

Happy New Year to you all!

I just finished a game of EA (my first): 351 turns in 3½ years, after which I as Axis faced a significant defeat. But that's another story (plan to do an after action review at some point).

As life without EA seems a bit empty, we plan to start it anew, but are a bit at a loss when it comes to the game setup nowadays. Before going ahead, any suggestions from you are much appreciated.

(1) Which exe to use?

Would it be better to use the unofficial patched exe, rather than 3.4? Or wait out 3.5?

Our previous game was started in 3.2, and we did not impose any restrictions concerning Fortified + Ignore Losses deployment. After upgrading to 3.4, we carried on without restriciting F+IL, which made offensive operations quite costly. When we belatedly started a mirror game (3.4 from the beginning), the offensive in the early years seemed impossible (at least for our TOAW skills), so we abandoned that game after almost 100 turns with the French firmly in possession of Paris.

(2) Which scenario version to use?

I know there is a EA 2012 version around. Then there is the version Mark Stevens have uploaded to GameSquad (EA TOAW III (c)), which seems to be the one coming with the game. Which is preferrable?

(3) Which game option settings?

Particularly the flanking, turn order and supply?

(4) Which house rules (in addition to the ones suggested in the breifing)?

I suppose this depends on some of the choices above.

Thanks in advance for sharing your views!

Best wishes
Martin
Oberst_Klink

RE: Europe Aflame - any thoughts on setup etc?

Post by Oberst_Klink »

ORIGINAL: MarGol

Happy New Year to you all!

I just finished a game of EA (my first): 351 turns in 3½ years, after which I as Axis faced a significant defeat. But that's another story (plan to do an after action review at some point).

As life without EA seems a bit empty, we plan to start it anew, but are a bit at a loss when it comes to the game setup nowadays. Before going ahead, any suggestions from you are much appreciated.

(1) Which exe to use?

Would it be better to use the unofficial patched exe, rather than 3.4? Or wait out 3.5?

Our previous game was started in 3.2, and we did not impose any restrictions concerning Fortified + Ignore Losses deployment. After upgrading to 3.4, we carried on without restriciting F+IL, which made offensive operations quite costly. When we belatedly started a mirror game (3.4 from the beginning), the offensive in the early years seemed impossible (at least for our TOAW skills), so we abandoned that game after almost 100 turns with the French firmly in possession of Paris.

(2) Which scenario version to use?

I know there is a EA 2012 version around. Then there is the version Mark Stevens have uploaded to GameSquad (EA TOAW III (c)), which seems to be the one coming with the game. Which is preferrable?

(3) Which game option settings?

Particularly the flanking, turn order and supply?

(4) Which house rules (in addition to the ones suggested in the breifing)?

I suppose this depends on some of the choices above.

Thanks in advance for sharing your views!

Best wishes
Martin
Martin, Alter Schwede! You and Rob were supposed to test the first 18 turns of Kharkov '43 with the 3XBb.exe :P

What's up and how are the Lotta Svärd birds?

Klink, Oberst
My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.
Martin_Goliath

Post by Martin_Goliath »

Hi there Klaus!

Well, Kharkow vs Rob never came about, but I played it with the AA patch against the PO (didn't I report back to you? Playing as Stavka I remember taking Kharkov on schedule while barely holding in the south. Seemed to work excellently).

Any thoughts re EA?

Hope you have a nice stay in the US.

Cheers
Martin
Falcon1

Post by Falcon1 »

Somebody please make a PO version of EA!
shunwick

Post by shunwick »

ORIGINAL: Falcon1

Somebody please make a PO version of EA!

Falcon1,

Sadly not possible. The scenario is way too strategically complex for the AI to handle. Plus, the formation structure is most certainly not PO friendly.

There are some PO alternatives to EA though if you do not wish to PBEM.

Happy New Year!

Best wishes,
Steve
I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...
Falcon1

Post by Falcon1 »

I suspected as much. I've started on the Road to Moscow scenarios and I'm leaning towards the Vietnam series next. Then I'll check your database for a good next choice. I was hoping for a large scale European theater scenario. I doubt that I'll ever PBEM but who knows, right?
tcarusil

Post by tcarusil »

I too have been playing the Road to Moscow scenarios. Currently on "At the Gates" and struggling mightily. May try Sicily to Brenner Pass based on Mr. Fulkerson's AARs.

TomC
ORIGINAL: Falcon1

I suspected as much. I've started on the Road to Moscow scenarios and I'm leaning towards the Vietnam series next. Then I'll check your database for a good next choice. I was hoping for a large scale European theater scenario. I doubt that I'll ever PBEM but who knows, right?

Return to “The War Room”