Creating New Dynamic Campaigns

Please post here for questions and discussion about general game modding

Moderator: Jason Petho

junk2drive

RE: Creating New Dynamic Campaigns

Post by junk2drive »

Sorry I did not get across what I meant.  Does the DCG generator create a .scn file?  If so I could modify ScnPick to find it.

No it does not.

Quit being a football fan when the players went on strike in the 70s.

Third battle is a river crossing. I start in view of the enemy and have to carry boats with me. Same thing with the improvements though.
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
junk2drive

Post by junk2drive »

ORIGINAL: Warhorse

Paul, try and rename the CPN file to SCN, then use Chucks proggy to open that, see if you can tinker with it that way?

Mike

I suppose I can but I had the intention of making something to share with the community. One that you can run through a playtest and see that it all works. I'm not sure if it's a setting or the original DCG program.
I did notice that the Crisis in Burma DCG has some things reversed from Rich's PDF.
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
junk2drive

Post by junk2drive »

Finished battle 4. So far I have Feb 7, 11, 13, 15. I set this up to go to August. I'll be out of troops by then. I did not get replacement points in battle 3, IIRC, but got 28 points for this battle. Did not fair well. Received a Good rating. IJA arty continues to rule the roost.
Warhorse

Post by Warhorse »

Noticed in my WF K'talia campaign (Big Red One Modified), that lots of enemy arty. May need to trim those numbers, I end up with a Battalion (3 Batteries of SPA) consistently, while the enemy always seems to have at least three times that! Real bummer if you have an infantry core, not so good for armor either, rather high disable rate I think... But hey, against 21st century hardware, the AI needs an edge somehow!!

Mike
Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com
junk2drive

Post by junk2drive »

But hey, against 21st century hardware, the AI needs an edge somehow!!

Against any hardware the AI needs an edge. That's why I didn't go back and change the IJA oob and start over.

My next one will be 1948 Berlin Crisis, USA vs USSR.
junk2drive

Post by junk2drive »

Learned something. You have to have 10 locations between the dates in your Location.dat. I tried deleting all but one city for an existing DCG. My second battle took place in 440728. That date was in the second set of 10 lines.

Location.dat is the biggest workload for making your own DCGs.
junk2drive

Post by junk2drive »

I posted the DCG for download

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2026736&mpage=1&key=&#2026736

I've played several battles and no problems yet. Finally got promoted.

The AI has been given tanks and sometimes SPA. It has been fun not knowing what kind of battle I will get and what kind of opponent I will face. Maps and Objectives have been reasonable. Only wierdness has been receiving emplacements when on the attack.
Crazy Aido

Post by Crazy Aido »

I just found this, so I'll stop pestering Jason on the other forum.

Thanks!
War assumes human weakness, against this, it is directed.
slb79

Post by slb79 »

Hi, in the last few days I have been messing around with the DCGs after I read Simonitch's excellent guide. What I tried to do basically was to make an Italian Core North Africa DCG. What I wasn't able to do is to  assign a tank formation to the player (when I begin the campaign the tank formation button is greyed out). Whenever I tried to create an armored chain of command from the XX Corps down to the tank battalions the game seemed to ignore it (I made a copy of the XX Corps OOB in the Campaign02.oob file changing the ID as Simonitch suggests- 5th slot from 2 to 0 and 6th slot from 0 to 8 so theoretically the game would let me choose a tank formation within the XX corps). The only workaround I found was to change the ID of all the Ariete armoured assets to battalion level so that the game would recognise them as infantry formations. Is there anything else that could be done in order to have an italian core armored formation in a DCG? Any help appreciated as I would like to make some Axis minor campaigns such as the italian assault on Greece.
Warhorse

Post by Warhorse »

I messed around with this also, and found that the best thing to do was remake a special armored unit from the ground up, all units numbered as infantry. The biggest problem is then that the AI won't pick any more infantry usually, since the core is, in the AI mind, all infantry. You could in theory, also make new infantry units an number them as armor, for DCG games, so the ai will pick them after your core, haven't doe this myself. I have a campaign going with Italy after 1943, and armor core.
Mike
Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com
slb79

Post by slb79 »

"The biggest problem is then that the AI won't pick any more infantry usually, since the core is, in the AI mind, all infantry."

If you organize the armored formation designated as infantry from battalion level and higher and leave companies and platoons as armored then the AI grants you auxiliary infantry. In my campaign where I designated as infantry the Ariete division its tank regiment and its tank battalions but left as armored the tank companies and platoons I get 3 bersaglieri companies in every scenario.
TheGrayMouser

Post by TheGrayMouser »

Hey SLB, did you ever get this to work?  A long time ago I learned how to edit core forces before any manuals ever came out but lets see if I can dust off my brain.  Ist assumption and note is that since you are making a NEW DCG , I cant test on my end to ensure Im giving helpful advise.  Anyways looking at the unaltered campaign02 file I see the  XX corp looks like this:

41 03 42 11 K0252009 5 XX Corps   **********(game thinks infantry)
41 03 42 11 P02306 XX Corps HQ
41 08 42 11 D0242034 101st (Trieste) Motorized Division
41 03 42 11 D0240001 132nd (Ariete) Armored Division  
41 03 42 11 D0240002 133rd (Littorio) Armored Division

If you change the bolded 2 to a 0, the engine should now understand that this is a armoured corp for selection purposes when you launch the DCG
One thing which likly is very important is the dates  In the campain02 file as above, that corp only exists from 03/41-11/42   (confusingly the same XX corp in the CORP02 file has differnt dates so be careful just copying and pasting)

Now it could be you already tried this which make me wonder what dates did you chose for your Africa Italin DCG??   If the game engine senses an ambiguity of dates it either wont load or crash  so as an example your DCG date cant start before 03/41 nor can it go beyond 11/42 since the campaign02 structure for  XX Corp says otherwise.....
if you have a diffent date track for your DCG what you need to do is ensure evry formation and sub formation in every file from corp down thru platoon actually exists between the dates for your DCG

Hopefully this helps a lttle, as ive said I cant muck around with it as you are making a custom DCG

Oh yes, one other thing is the size of your core force that you  chose .  The engine is very simple.  You can edit an infantry corp coded as a two to a zero, you can then launch a DCG for a corp size armoured force and it will happily let you chose it and play..  Howver if you select armoured and battalian, the engine will look thru that corp structure and if there are no battalians in it coded as a zero, it will knock you back to the menu saying "structure doesnt exist , try again" (or something like that)

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”