JTCS Unit Viewer

John Tiller's Campaign Series exemplifies tactical war-gaming at its finest by bringing you the entire collection of TalonSoft's award-winning campaign series. Containing TalonSoft's West Front, East Front, and Rising Sun platoon-level combat series, as well as all of the official add-ons and expansion packs, the Matrix Edition allows players to dictate the events of World War II from the tumultuous beginning to its climatic conclusion. We are working together with original programmer John Tiller to bring you this updated edition.

Moderators: Jason Petho, Peter Fisla, asiaticus, dogovich

sfinlay

RE: JTCS Unit Viewer

Post by sfinlay »

Wow, that was quick Arkady !  Thanks again for this excellent utility.
Warhorse

Post by Warhorse »

Thanks very much, Arkady, it's awesome to be able to use this again!!![&o]

Mike
Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

ORIGINAL: Arkady

As I promised, after patch 1.03 release, JTCS Unit Viewer is available again

http://arkady.cz/storage/JTCS_Unitviewer.zip

see first post in this thread for fixes and new feature

If you own previous version, just overwriteyour version with exe file from archive.

If you install fresh version, follow instructions in the first post in this thread.

Would you be upset if I included this in the official release for tomorrow as part of the install?

Jason Petho
Arkady

Post by Arkady »

no problem [:)]
Arkady

Post by Arkady »

user requested feature added

3D icon file name is now displayed as a tooltip when you hover mouse over icon

download and overwrite as usually
http://arkady.cz/storage/JTCS_Unitviewer.zip
cw58

Post by cw58 »

Many thanks, Arkady. Absolutely awesome![:)]
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

I will ensure this latest version is available with the 1.03 UPDATE.

Jason Petho
przy06

Post by przy06 »

Has anybody gotten this to work using Microsoft vista home premium 64 bit? When I click on the application I get a box telling me the program has stopped working with the option to check the web for a solution and to end the program. Just purchased a laptop with the operating system above pre installed.
Previous poster under account przy
Member since 5/16/2000
Arkady

Post by Arkady »

ORIGINAL: przy06

Has anybody gotten this to work using Microsoft vista home premium 64 bit? When I click on the application I get a box telling me the program has stopped working with the option to check the web for a solution and to end the program. Just purchased a laptop with the operating system above pre installed.
check Installed programs and look for .NET framework 2.0

if you don't have it there, install it from Microsoft site for free
unfortunately I don't have 64bit version of Windows available to check
Arctic Blast

Post by Arctic Blast »

ORIGINAL: przy06

As a fellow Vista user, a few pieces of advice to ensure a lot more backwards compatibility (I'm using 32-bit, but I'd imagine this would help you, as well). Direct X 10 and Direct X 9.0c are both installed, side by side, on the machine, by the 9.0c version is pretty skeletal. Download and install the latest 9.0c update...it won't affect DX10 at all. Also, download and install EVERY .Net version you can get your hands on. I did this stuff right out of rhe gate, and I've had very few issues getting any older software to work (the few exceptions having problems with the combo of Vista and a DX10-capable graphics card). Hopefully this helps you out!
Meditation on inevitable death should be performed daily.
Frido1207

Post by Frido1207 »

Hi Arkady, [:)]
just wanna thank you for your great work.
Enjoyed the previous version, as i do enjoy now your lastest version of "The Unit Viewer".

SGT Rice

Post by SGT Rice »

The unit viewer simply rocks.[&o]
GG A World Divided Playtester
Arkady

Post by Arkady »

Thank you [:)]

I'm working now on Unit Checker, small command line utility that should help developers keep units,weapons and 3D icons files correct :)
It is almost done but no time this week to finish it.

Legionaer

Post by Legionaer »

Hey Arkady,

needed a little bit to "find" your viewer, but you´ve really done a great job! [&o]

Stefan
I create and revise: OoB´s, ToE´s, Weapon Values for Modern Wars (forever CWE!) Working on OoB´s for the new CSCW and scenario playtesting for the Beta Brigade.
1925frank

Post by 1925frank »

I've never had any trouble running Arkady's Unit Viewer.  Today, however, for East Front and Rising Sun (not West Front), I get the following message:

Unhandled exception has occurred in your application.  If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue.  If you click Quit, the application will close immediately.

I've hit Continue, but the error persists.  Any suggestions?
LarryP

Post by LarryP »

ORIGINAL: 1925frank

I've never had any trouble running Arkady's Unit Viewer. Today, however, for East Front and Rising Sun (not West Front), I get the following message:

Unhandled exception has occurred in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click Quit, the application will close immediately.

I've hit Continue, but the error persists. Any suggestions?

Have you tried more than once? Sometimes during booting up, drivers don't load properly. Have you tried accessing it after rebooting? Or does this happen no matter what?
1925frank

Post by 1925frank »

I turned the computer off for at least fifteen minutes and rebooted. Same result. I tried disabling the firewall, but got the same result.

Edit: The above results were for the launch icon in my CS folder. I then went into a subfolder -- a separate Unit Viewer folder, within which was another launch icon, and I used that one, and it worked for all three (EF, WF, and RS). I'm thinking the launch icon in the CS folder was for the earlier version of the Unit Viewer, which was why it didn't work.
LarryP

Post by LarryP »

I'm thinking the launch icon in the CS folder was for the earlier version of the Unit Viewer, which was why it didn't work.

Ahaaa! You figured it out. Good for you Dean!
Arkady

Post by Arkady »

I turned the computer off for at least fifteen minutes and rebooted. Same result. I tried disabling the firewall, but got the same result.

Edit: The above results were for the launch icon in my CS folder. I then went into a subfolder -- a separate Unit Viewer folder, within which was another launch icon, and I used that one, and it worked for all three (EF, WF, and RS). I'm thinking the launch icon in the CS folder was for the earlier version of the Unit Viewer, which was why it didn't work.
it is strange, there were no changes in 'Play Game' button functionality

check if there is settings.txt file next to JTCS_UnitViewer.exe
If yes, delete it, maybe there is a wrong path stored for game directory
1925frank

Post by 1925frank »

I'm talking about the launch icon for the Unit Viewer.  Within the Unit Viewer on the right is the "Play Game" button. 

I thought it was odd too that it would work only for WF.

I don't know why I had a subfolder with a separate launch icon.  I'm clumsy when downloading things, espcially when it requires unzipping.  I learn computer stuff from trial and error. [Edit: Correction. Occasionally I impose on LarryP for advice. Good buddy that he is, he popped up here as well to try to help.]

Within the subfolder were three other files in addition to the launch icon, but I'm at work now, and I don't recall what the other three files were.  I was thinking of copying and pasting the launch icon from the subfolder into the CS folder -- or maybe even to desktop if that isn't beyond my capabilities.

If the launch button was the same, this is curious.

The Unit Viewer is a great feature, Arkady.  Thanks again.

Return to “John Tiller's Campaign Series”