AAR/Quick Guide Central Powers 1914

Adanac's Strategic level World War I grand campaign game designed by Frank Hunter

Moderator: SeanD

Hanal

RE: AAR/Quick Guide Central Powers 1914

Post by Hanal »

I'm now losing the war........

Attachments
Untitled2.jpg
Untitled2.jpg (147.31 KiB) Viewed 455 times
Hanal

Post by Hanal »

The End.........

Hanal

Post by Hanal »

Attachments
cpe_cross_graves_01.jpg
cpe_cross_graves_01.jpg (148.87 KiB) Viewed 453 times
sol_invictus

Post by sol_invictus »

[X(] Gotterdamnerung!
"The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero
Hanal

Post by Hanal »

ORIGINAL: Arinvald

[X(] Gotterdamnerung!

Yup, that's about the size of it...I'll continue this game just to see how badly I do but truth tell, I really want to fire up another game and hopefully learn from my multitude of mistakes.............
Bossy573

Post by Bossy573 »

ORIGINAL: J P Falcon

..a firing squad probably awaits me

[:D]

Fantastic read this was. Amazing how quickly and efficiently the AI made you pay for the "Lille gambit."

The defense would like to offer into evidence on behalf of the accused that the commanders on both sides of the real WWI made a boatload of mistakes as well. [;)]
flintlock

Post by flintlock »

I enjoyed following this AAR. Thanks for taking the time to post, JP.
sol_invictus

Post by sol_invictus »

The thing about this game is, that there are so many oportunities to make mistakes and the AI isn't shy about pouncing on every one. France is simply a tough nut and you do need some good fortune and almost flawless play to bring her to her knees. I dread having to go up against a TE player.
"The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero
WallysWorld

Post by WallysWorld »

JP, thanks to your great AAR, I've just bought the game.
Hanal

Post by Hanal »

Thanks to everyone who helped by contributing to this thread. Thanks though must also go to Ray (aka Lava) who started the ball rolling with his fine introductory tutorial. I probably would not have even thought of doing this if he had not kicked it off.....

And if I happen to salvage something in this game (my eyes are turning east as I type this) I'll let you know...!

[:D]
randell765

Post by randell765 »

How did you get the ottoman empire to join the war or did they just join?  I don't remember you using any diplomacy points on them
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

They just join
Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.
SlickWilhelm

Post by SlickWilhelm »

Many thanks to Lava and JP for the tutorial and AAR! You guys saved me a boatload of time I would've spent on trial & error(mostly error!). [&o]
Beta Tester - Brother Against Brother
Beta Tester - Commander: The Great War
Beta Tester - Desert War 1940-42
Raver508

Post by Raver508 »

Hey this was a great AAR.  Thanks heaps.  I am going to buy this game on the strength of this. 
kcole4080

Post by kcole4080 »

Excellent AAR.
I've experienced the same result (RE: the Brit Corps) when I forgot to send out the navy.
I agree, the AI is very good at counter attacks (who are those guys, the Germans in exile?).

The furthest I've gotten is mid 1915, & I've captured Paris, but the French aren't out yet.
Keep the right strong (remember, that's the Schlieffen plan!) & keep going hard, manage your HQ & refit pts carefully, & use plenty af arty.
The trenches DO make quite a difference for the defender.

Also, put pressure on the French in the southern sector when they start to shift troops north.
They'll still shift the troops, but you may get some ripe plums dropping into your lap, such as Verdun, if they weaken it too much (which happened in my game).

I found out you can't capture India with the Turks, but you can go after Egypt fairly easily, but the Caucasus may be a more effective route to take.

Spend Diplomatic points an Italy! Once they enter for the Entente, the Austrians have a very hard day (every day!).

Also, remember that unactivated cavalry CAN advance into unoccupied enemy hexes when stacked with an infantry corps. The Russians play this little game all the time (very annoying)!
AZKGungHo

Post by AZKGungHo »

Hey - thanks for such a great intro to the game![&o]

I've copied and pasted Lava's tutorial into a Word document to have even when I'm not online, but your's is a little long for that. I was wondering if you or Matrix has given any thought to putting your AAR (and maybe Lava's Tutorial as well) into a PDF document for us to download?

It think that would be most helpful!

Thanks again!

- Louie
"In Arduis Fidelis"
Louie Marsh

Books:
Once A Raider… http://tinyurl.com/89mfnnk
Getting Real - http://tinyurl.com/7zhcjlq
Websites:
www.usmcraiders.com
discipleup.org
Hanal

Post by Hanal »

Thank you, but in truth, now that I am deeper into the game, I forgot many rule and gameplay points that are now glaringly missing from this AAR so it is now obsolete and has no value to be made into a Matrix endorsed pdf file. But again, thanks for the thought...
ei3014

Post by ei3014 »

Mr Falcon,

I hope you also post your next game complete with your learnings. Does anybody have anything that looks like an old fashioned CRT (combat results table) or some clue as to what the impact of artillery is for example ?

Also I saw supply for the Balkan/Serbian front  mentioned, but I can't find any clues as to what the supply rules are. I know sea supply increases the supply of friendly ports (for example), but not how to put someone out of supply, or what the consequences of being out of supply are.

Many thanks

Geoff
Geoff
SMK-at-work

Post by SMK-at-work »

Supply is traced from cities - if a unit cannot trace a line of friendly hexes to a city then it is out of supply.

Being out of supply costs you readiness - possibly strength as well I'm not sure about that.  Units that have been out of supply for a few turns can barely fight if you attack them.
Meum est propisitum in taberna mori
ei3014

Post by ei3014 »

Thanks for that. Does an isolated freindly city count as a supply source ? What about a captured city ?
(sorry I'm probably drifting off thread here)
Geoff
Geoff

Return to “Guns of August 1914 - 1918”