Sick to death

QVADRIGA is a tactical game of chariot racing in ancient Roman circuses, where you take control of a four horse chariot team.
sharkie

Sick to death

Post by sharkie »

Ever since the last update the number of events prior to a race that are solely against me has increased to a rate that it just pi**es me off.

Reins have been cut, damage to my chariot by other drivers or fans, rival wants to attack me more, gates dont open. Its hard enough to finish a race let alone win with damage to your horses or chariot before the gates have even been opened.

I enjoy a challenge but this is just blatant cheating by the game. Having these shoved down my throat race after race wouldnt be so bad if there was a opposite bonus to offset the bad ones. But as far as I can tell the only plus events are two drivers fight...whooopee, thats as helpful as hip pockets in your underpants...two horses fight...yes helpful...and your gate opens earlier...sometimes helpful, mostly not.

To the dev...fairs fair, dont make a game more difficult with lazy cheating.

If I'm going to have negative events then individual drivers should get them as well.
Niessuh

RE: Sick to death

Post by Niessuh »

Well, this was harder at the previous builds, the amount of bad events has been softened.. .the amount of negative events depends of your winning records, so I guess you are mastering the game lately. It is intended to act as an equalizer to prevent you from winning at every single race, like a dinamic difficulty level upgrade.
Daniel López
Creator of Qvadriga and Mare Nostrvm
brucesim2003

Post by brucesim2003 »

I have to agree with Sharkie here. New normal campaign. 2 victories out of 9 (small sample maybe), and these so-called random events are turning me off the game.

Edit: sorry just noticed the age of this thread. Opinion still stands however. v1.3 beta

Edit2: a few more races has made me regret buying this game. Going round the outer edge of the turn, undamaged chariot, moderate speed and it flips. Not once or twice.....EVERY. FRIKKEN. RACE. I call BS.

Cheers

Bruce
76mm

Post by 76mm »

Bruce, I would give the game another chance; first, it sounds like you are on a small, tight track--move to another and the racing style can change dramatically. Also, your auriga's skill and chariot's construction can make a big difference. I tried to avoid the kind of tracks it sounds like you're on, and also avoided some factions.

I've completed four epic campaigns, so have run more than a few races, and can't say that the negative events occurred more often than the positive or neutral ones; I was never really sure, but sometimes it seems that they are context-sensitive: when you are doing well, there are more negative events, when you're getting your but kicked, more positive events.

Also, I found that at least on occasion I could win despite almost any of the negative events; I think that only one I have not won with is the "bribed auriga" event where my guy brakes after the first turn. With most other events, you have to be a bit lucky, but you can still win.
brucesim2003

Post by brucesim2003 »

I've taken to playing VERY defensively. Don't win many races, and using yellow team means I'm a bit slow out of the gate, but at least I seem to be able to finish races now. Chose the Italian track to start with. Seems ok. Is there a way to preview the track before moving there?

Cheers

Bruce
76mm

Post by 76mm »

No way to preview a track, so every time I move to a new track I use one of my dispensable aurigas for the first race, just in case.

I think you really have to play fairly defensively, especially with your lead auriga--one false move and your 20 win auriga can be a bloody stain on the track.

I found that the best faction for me was the Whites, because you can get light, fast chariots and fast horses, which makes it easier to dash out in front at the beginning of a race and then stay there. For whatever reason, over several hundred races I seemed to have the most luck with the 2 star chariots and two lightning horses, rather than the "best" chariots and horses with all four factors.

Also, one important tip which I raised on another thread: if you're playing a campaign DO NOT click on auto-finish until another auriga has crossed the finish line--otherwise your leading competitor, wherever he is on the track, will be designated as the winner and thus put him even further ahead... Once someone else has won, however, it is OK to click on auto-finish.

brucesim2003

Post by brucesim2003 »

Only playing normal campaign atm, so competitors winning streaks are not really important, unless I'm missing something?

Cheers

Bruce
76mm

Post by 76mm »

I'm not sure, but I thought that the main difference between an epic campaign and a normal campaign is that you can bring your aurigas back to life?

In the epic campaign--and I thought in the standard campaign but could be wrong--your auriga has to have the most wins out of all aurigas and win three races in Circus Maximus.
brucesim2003

Post by brucesim2003 »

The manual says that the auriga has to have the most wins only in the epic campaign iirc. I tried the white team....wend back to my yellows after the white chariots fall apart if you look at them cross-eyed.

Cheers

Bruce

Return to “QVADRIGA”