Missing freetype6.dll

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.
bobarossa

Missing freetype6.dll

Post by bobarossa »

Thought I'd move this to its own thread so we don't pollute the 1.01 patch thread any further.
ORIGINAL: VPaulus

In which folder is the game installed? Is it in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Slitherine\Sovereignty Crown of Kings"?
I originally installed in C:\Matrix Games but then uninstalled and installed to default folder(the one you mention). Didn't work in either. Is it possible that there is still a reference to a Steam folder in there somewhere? I have never installed Steam on my computer.

edit: If someone could post the exact folder that Sovereignty is normally located through Steam (I don't have it), I will try creating it and putting it there and see what happens.

edit2: I tried installing to C:\Program Files\Steam (x86)\SteamApps\Common\Slitherine\Sovereignty Crown of Kings and that didn't work either.
VPaulus

RE: Missing freetype6.dll

Post by VPaulus »

The stand alone version works independently from the Steam version.
I've just tested and I was able to install it in different folders besides the default one.
Do you receive any error message during the installation of the game? have you tried without patching to 1.01?
bobarossa

Post by bobarossa »

To recap.

1. Installed at C:\Matrix Games and then installed patch. Couldn't find freetype6.dll
2. Installed at default position C:\Program Files (x86)\Slitherine and then patched. Same error
3. Installed at default position but didn't patch. Same error.
4. While installed at default position, dropped freetype6.dll in Sovereignty's Program Data folder as well as its My Documents folder and in C:\Windows\system32 folder (where most dll's are located) in hopes it was looking in one of those places and not seeing it. Same error.
5. Installed in C:\Program Files\Steam (x86)\SteamApps\Common\Slitherine in hopes that it was still looking in Steam folder for the dll. same error. Note I saw online that this is the location where Steam stores games.

During the installs it did not show any errors. My .Net was shown as being a later version than what it trying to install. I am using Windows 7 (64 bit).
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

Try the following:
Open the game installation folder. Locate and select a file named "Sovereignty.exe". Press the right mouse button and select Properties.
Click on the Compatibility tab. Tick the option Run this program as an administrator.
Click on Apply and Ok. Run "Sovereignty.exe".
bobarossa

Post by bobarossa »

Thought of that just a few minutes ago. Same error. Also tried Compatibility mode from XP SP3 through Vista with no luck. Also uninstalled and reinstalled with my Antivirus disabled. No luck.

Also, I looked at the Windows registry entries for Sovereignty and they looked OK (compared with Sengoku Jidai).

One thing that just occurred to me is that I turned off Drive Indexing (or whatever it is called that lets you do searches for files) when I first installed Win7. It caused a lot of disk thrashing that annoyed me.

Re-enabled Drive Indexing and rebooted. No joy.
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

ORIGINAL: bobarossa
One thing that just occurred to me is that I turned off Drive Indexing (or whatever it is called that lets you do searches for files) when I first installed Win7.
I've my Drive Index turned off so that can't be the reason.
Try installing the game with Windows running is safe mode.
bobarossa

Post by bobarossa »

It suddenly occurred to me that the crash report showed the failure happened during some video calls. I checked and my NVIDIA driver is almost 2 years old (when I bought my 750Ti card). After a painful 30 minute upgrade the game now runs. Thanks for you efforts.

edit: And I really wish I had seen your comment on Drive Indexing before I let it spend an hour+ enabling it!
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

ORIGINAL: bobarossa
edit: And I really wish I had seen your comment on Drive Indexing before I let it spend an hour+ enabling it!
I'm sorry for that.

I honestly, would never relate that error with graphic card drivers.
Even when I've googled in the Internet for the error, mostly I got was gibberish.

Anyway, I'm happy to know that you have fixed the issue.
Thanks for reporting. [:)]
bobarossa

Post by bobarossa »

ORIGINAL: VPaulus

I honestly, would never relate that error with graphic card drivers.
Even when I've googled in the Internet for the error, mostly I got was gibberish.

Anyway, I'm happy to know that you have fixed the issue.
Thanks for reporting. [:)]
I never would have guessed either. I happened to see GLShader as an argument in one of the function calls in the crash report. I guess they ARE good for something!

Return to “Tech Support”