How about putting links to all the versions and patches in a subforum/sticky thread?

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Joseignacio

How about putting links to all the versions and patches in a subforum/sticky thread?

Post by Joseignacio »

Hello, today I had to reinstall MWIF in my laptop and I am going through hell.

First, I forgot which builds I need to install before the hotpatch to the version we are playing with. I think it was the original version + [PC] Update v03.00.02.00 / [PC] Beta Update v04.04.01.00 + hotpatch. However I am not sure and it is not easy to look for that info.

When i try to install 3.01, I keep on having error messages like this below, maybe due to so many trials.

Plus, when I had been successful earlier on, I got some other error messages when upgrading.

Maybe a thread with links to all the versions and hotpatches would help people who need to reinstall, and of course future clients (if any).

And in that very thread, so that it can be easily found and read, instructions as of which updates need to be done and which ones no or if all are, before hotpatching to our selected version.
Attachments
Captura de pantalla 2022-07-30 221042.png
Captura de pantalla 2022-07-30 221042.png (32.77 KiB) Viewed 911 times
Joseignacio

Re: How about putting links to all the versions and patches in a subforum/sticky thread?

Post by Joseignacio »

It hangs here when installing 03.00.01, I can go no further. Please, I need a solution, I already lost my game today and I would love not to lose my tuesday's game.
Attachments
Captura de pantalla 2022-07-30 223146.png
Captura de pantalla 2022-07-30 223146.png (29.27 KiB) Viewed 901 times
Joseignacio

Re: How about putting links to all the versions and patches in a subforum/sticky thread?

Post by Joseignacio »

It finally was a problem that it needs two files and from the Europe server I didnt get both/ or I only saw one /or I didnt have both in the same folder.

But the lack of order and clear instructions (in a sticky, for easy finding) remains.
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

Joseignacio wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:14 pm Hello, today I had to reinstall MWIF in my laptop and I am going through hell.

First, I forgot which builds I need to install before the hotpatch to the version we are playing with. I think it was the original version + [PC] Update v03.00.02.00 / [PC] Beta Update v04.04.01.00 + hotpatch. However I am not sure and it is not easy to look for that info.

When i try to install 3.01, I keep on having error messages like this below, maybe due to so many trials.

Plus, when I had been successful earlier on, I got some other error messages when upgrading.

Maybe a thread with links to all the versions and hotpatches would help people who need to reinstall, and of course future clients (if any).

And in that very thread, so that it can be easily found and read, instructions as of which updates need to be done and which ones no or if all are, before hotpatching to our selected version.
This may not be answering your question (directly) and maybe you know this already but by going to "MY PAGE" at the top of this forum page you can get the full versions of the latest official release. Then you apply any "additional" hot patches to the official full install versions (either 3.01 or 4.4.1). I have configured my install to be able to run between versions 3.2.0 (public beta), 4.4.1 (latest public beta) and 4.2.3.2 (public beta) at will.
Attachments
My-Page.jpg
My-Page.jpg (157.84 KiB) Viewed 851 times
Ronnie
Joseignacio

Post by Joseignacio »

I knew, thanks.

I just was not sure if I had to install one or the two updates previous to hotpaching.

Then there was the matter to find the hotpatch you want to apply in the forum, it may have sunk...

I have seen you recommend 3.2 for some time. I understand it is more stable but it also lacks CBV for example, which I would prefer not to lose. Anyway my opponents would have a say in this as well...

Besides, I think we deserve that eventually someone will fix the abandoned later versions and not force us to play with such older ones.
craigbear

Post by craigbear »

I tend to agree. I have up to version 4.2.3.2, but needed to go back to 3.2 . For most things, 4.2.3.2 is the superior version; however, it is (for me) unplayable after a certain point.

If there is a playable hot patch out there, I would like to be able to access it as was possible for hot patches before 4.2.3.2.

By the way, if you go back to 3.2 with CBV, it will be a continuous annoyance as they remain in the force pools and can be built but not placed. I have house ruled for my solo game that if the units are built (1st time), double BP value are added to the major powers total. 2nd time, the base BP value is added (the difference being that the 1st time is free to the MP while the 2nd time, the unit was actually built).
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

I've learned how to edit the CBV units on the map. Another workaround is to use version 4 to place them and then revert back to 3.2.0.
Ronnie
craigbear

Post by craigbear »

Unfortunately, 4.XX freezes when trying to open the file, so no go on the placement using that version.

Thanks anyhow. Not worth the time or effort of editing the file to place the CBV units unless it is by simply editing the .GAM file... advice about which I would gladly accept. I suspect, though, that the editing would require tools I do not have not being a beta-tester.
craigbear

Post by craigbear »

Unfortunately, 4.XX freezes when trying to open the file, so no go on the placement using that version.

Thanks anyhow. Not worth the time or effort of editing the file to place the CBV units unless it is by simply editing the .GAM file... advice about which I would gladly accept. I suspect, though, that the editing would require tools I do not have not being a beta-tester.
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

craigbear wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:53 am I suspect, though, that the editing would require tools I do not have not being a beta-tester.
I do all my editing in Notepad++ ... so really no tools required, just knowledge ...
Ronnie
craigbear

Post by craigbear »

I routinely do editting using note++ as well. However, I have not seen anything about moving a unit in reserve to on map. I certainly could do it with some instruction.

I will go to the modding section to see if I missed something... it would truly be useful for me.
craigbear

Post by craigbear »

I routinely do editting using note++ as well. However, I have not seen anything about moving a unit in reserve to on map. I certainly could do it with some instruction.

I will go to the modding section to see if I missed something... it would truly be useful for me.
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

craigbear wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:50 am I routinely do editting using note++ as well. However, I have not seen anything about moving a unit in reserve to on map. I certainly could do it with some instruction.

Done. That is, post added to modding manual, A Layman's Guide to Successfully Editing the MWiF Game File.

By the way, have you noticed your last 2 posts in this thread have been double posts?
Ronnie
craigbear

Post by craigbear »

Yes, sorry about that. Mouse was acting up... hopefully I have corrected it.

Tried to delete the offending posts... but mouse interfered again. It may be too late, but I will try to figure it out.

Thank you for the modding instructions.

Return to “World in Flames”