More than one editor?

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario design, art and sound modding and the game editor for WITP Admiral's Edition.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

mutterfudder

More than one editor?

Post by mutterfudder »

With the original WITP there was an editor that would use the WITPLOAD files ( WitpExcel).
Anyway, is there more than one editor available?
Beware the NWO!
Yaab

Re: More than one editor?

Post by Yaab »

When you install WITP:AE, the game creates the SCEN folder in the game's main install folder. Open the SCEN folder and you should see two exe files: AE Editor and AE Editor64.
LargeSlowTarget

Post by LargeSlowTarget »

Also available is an editor for the hex fields underneath the map graphics in order to change the terrain type, roads, railroads and stacking limits at database level (this will not change the map graphics, this requires editing the map files with the help of a graphics editing programme).
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

So, yes, there are several editors.

First, is the GUI AE Editor64.exe (AE Editor.exe) located in your SCEN directory. Good for minor changes. Irreplaceable for its ability to update specific units to current Class or AC specs, see the Tools tab. Read the manual and practice using a sample scenario until you are proficient. Will save you tons of time for mod creation.

Next, is the witploadAE.exe utility, also found in the SCEN directory. This is needed to access the expanded fields used for DP devices and the field for alternative devices. Also, allows you to make bulk changes easier in Excel. This is the major tool for most modders

Then, witploadAI.exe. This allows you to break up the AI files into individual script files; up to 2000 of them, so do this in a separate folder. Edit them and the re-build it back up. Only used by AI modders. Legend has it that Andy Mac built the original AI with just Excel spreadsheets. I have no idea how, but this tool is a lifesaver in terms of time.

Next, PWHEXE_Editor_0.7.exe. I think you download this one, forget where from. BUT it is the only way to edit the map data, unless you want to decode the hex code yourself. Crucial for any type of map change. If your mod would allow for RR's or roads or bridges to be repaired or built during the war, this is the tool that will let you do that. Want a few more dams to be able to be burst, here you go. Wipe out roads and change the terrain to swamp.

Finally, witpchkAE.exe in the Tools folder. This utility checks the all the data for misuse and gives you a tidy text file output. Run it first on scen 001 to see what are designed errors and why. Then run it on your mod. My first time I ran it on my mod, I had just under 30,000 errors ... ooops!! :lol:
Pax
RangerJoe

Post by RangerJoe »

PaxMondo wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 10:10 pm So, yes, there are several editors.

First, is the GUI AE Editor64.exe (AE Editor.exe) located in your SCEN directory. Good for minor changes. Irreplaceable for its ability to update specific units to current Class or AC specs, see the Tools tab. Read the manual and practice using a sample scenario until you are proficient. Will save you tons of time for mod creation.

Next, is the witploadAE.exe utility, also found in the SCEN directory. This is needed to access the expanded fields used for DP devices and the field for alternative devices. Also, allows you to make bulk changes easier in Excel. This is the major tool for most modders

Then, witploadAI.exe. This allows you to break up the AI files into individual script files; up to 2000 of them, so do this in a separate folder. Edit them and the re-build it back up. Only used by AI modders. Legend has it that Andy Mac built the original AI with just Excel spreadsheets. I have no idea how, but this tool is a lifesaver in terms of time.

Next, PWHEXE_Editor_0.7.exe. I think you download this one, forget where from. BUT it is the only way to edit the map data, unless you want to decode the hex code yourself. Crucial for any type of map change. If your mod would allow for RR's or roads or bridges to be repaired or built during the war, this is the tool that will let you do that. Want a few more dams to be able to be burst, here you go. Wipe out roads and change the terrain to swamp.

Finally, witpchkAE.exe in the Tools folder. This utility checks the all the data for misuse and gives you a tidy text file output. Run it first on scen 001 to see what are designed errors and why. Then run it on your mod. My first time I ran it on my mod, I had just under 30,000 errors ... ooops!! :lol:
The best thread that I can find for a map editor is here:

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... 7#p2779477
Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

RangerJoe wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 3:27 pm
The best thread that I can find for a map editor is here:

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... 7#p2779477
Yep, Dave B. wrote it. Super functional. Did a great job.
Pax

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”