Dumbest idea ever implemented

Moderator: Hubert Cater

Birdw

Dumbest idea ever implemented

Post by Birdw »

I'm sure I'm not the first to complain about the God-awful game continually disrupting play by backing up to the server. Here is a great idea: If you don't have any integrity, don't play multiplayer games against opponents. I probably have had one of the worst connections in the history of this game, at least until Starlink came to the rescue in the last six months or so. At least if you lost connection trying to save the "end turn" the old way, you only had to wait for one timeout. Now, every time you turn around, the game freezes for more backups. At least make it optional so that those of us who have been playing this series for the last two decades or so can turn off the time suck and get on with playing the game, please.
Birdman

It's just like shooting squirrels, only these squirrels have guns
BillRunacre

Re: Dumbest idea ever implemented

Post by BillRunacre »

Hi

There has been some discussion of this since it was introduced, and there are changes coming in the next patch based on the feedback to make things more player friendly.
Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/
Bavre

Post by Bavre »

I've got a sometimes unreliable hillbilly connection, but even with that it works ok.
Plus it already saved me (mostly) from redoing two loooong turns.
OldCrowBalthazor

Post by OldCrowBalthazor »

I got killer good internet, except when high-winds rattle can the hills and mountains here. (I guess I live in a quasi-hillybilly area too....)... ;)
Saved me from redoing a complex turn many times also.
My YouTube Channel: Balthazor's Strategic Arcana
https://www.youtube.com/c/BalthazorsStrategicArcana

SC-ACW Beta Tester
1904 Imperial Sunrise Tester
SC-WW1 Empires in Turmoil DLC Tester
Tester of various SC Mods
OldCrowBalthazor

Post by OldCrowBalthazor »

Duedman wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:43 am I'm loving it.
But my connection is usually good....
I was in the middle of my turn with Duedman and recording it for YouTube when at about 26 minutes of some complicated moves 'boom'. Power and Internet go out. Three trees collapsed and blocked the only way to my little community up here in the Casacdes by a weird weather event. Thanks to the repackaging service, (and once our internet was back up days later)..I basically could continue with my turn. :D

So this repackaging deal isn't all about thwarting cheaters...just saying!
Cool thing too, in my recording, you can hear this one big monster rattle-can my house. The second part of the vid shows me recovering the turn and continuing....three days later.
Attachments
Oh no no internet or power and I am not squished.jpg
Oh no no internet or power and I am not squished.jpg (82.98 KiB) Viewed 289 times
My YouTube Channel: Balthazor's Strategic Arcana
https://www.youtube.com/c/BalthazorsStrategicArcana

SC-ACW Beta Tester
1904 Imperial Sunrise Tester
SC-WW1 Empires in Turmoil DLC Tester
Tester of various SC Mods
Happycat

Post by Happycat »

Birdw wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:45 am I'm sure I'm not the first to complain about the God-awful game continually disrupting play by backing up to the server. Here is a great idea: If you don't have any integrity, don't play multiplayer games against opponents. I probably have had one of the worst connections in the history of this game, at least until Starlink came to the rescue in the last six months or so. At least if you lost connection trying to save the "end turn" the old way, you only had to wait for one timeout. Now, every time you turn around, the game freezes for more backups. At least make it optional so that those of us who have been playing this series for the last two decades or so can turn off the time suck and get on with playing the game, please.
Totally agree. Cheaters always reveal themselves, if one is watching for it. Personally, I have played against people whom I strongly suspected were cheating, and still won. But your idea is right...if one has no integrity, then go play hotseat against yourself. Or just play with yourself...I don't care.
Chance favours the prepared mind
Happycat

Post by Happycat »

BillRunacre wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:52 pm Hi

There has been some discussion of this since it was introduced, and there are changes coming in the next patch based on the feedback to make things more player friendly.
Good to hear. It would be nice, if we have to have auto-save, for it to occur in the background without suspending play. But perhaps I am just revealing how little I know about game design and programming. :?
Chance favours the prepared mind

Return to “Strategic Command WWII: World at War”