4 Player Game AAR with new PBEM++

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises.

Moderator: MOD_GGWaW_2

tcart

RE: 4 Player Game AAR with new PBEM++

Post by tcart »

WA Winter 43

The WA take Northern Italy, but winter and fortifications make Germany a bad bet. I suspect Rafael will cause the Germans to surrender before I get my shot. Unless the Germans send everybody east. Hint hint.

My best shot was last turn, but by air attacks undermined my chances.

Re Kondor's comments above, extra AA gives you a die roll modifier if the number exceeds the number of attacking aircraft. So there is a reason to have lots of them. If you want them to do more damage, consider upping their AA value earlier.

But ultimately you need fighters to really defend in the air.

Knowing that Germany will soon surrender, the US starts to think about Japan. The USN feels confident enough to push forward to a position where I can cut the Japanese off from most of their resources. Now what I need is a staging ground to build up amphibious forces. It'll take a turn or two.

If we were racing the clock, I'd need to think about this a bit earlier and start island hopping and stacking up troops. Another consideration is how many Japanese units can you cut off from the homeland.

All other things being equal, I'll look to completely blockade Japan next turn.

Attachments
usn.jpg
usn.jpg (67.06 KiB) Viewed 424 times
kondor

Post by kondor »

In the last effort move, IJN tried to capture Wake island.
The plan was to capture Wake, cut off the USN mighty fleets, and buy me a few turns.

Landing failed, even if I captured it, Tim had supplies on the close-by island, he's too good of a player to be caught in a surprise like this one.
Now, all of the IJN fleets will be deleted.

GE will fall next turn? And the IJ will follow its ally shortly.

Congratz Rafael & Tim, well earned decisive victory.
It was a fun game, I've relearned some things and learned a few new ones. I'm up for another game if you guys are for it. [;)]

Attachments
20211017..reenshot.jpg
20211017..reenshot.jpg (156.14 KiB) Viewed 424 times
rjh1971

Post by rjh1971 »

Spring 43 USSR + China

The Soviets effectively went all the way to Berlin and begun its race towards the Pacific. Production was just supplies and technology chits.

The map show the way of advance. Nothing much they could do now.

Chinese also choke Japans economy taking another region.

Thanks Goran for hanging on until the bitter end. I have to say that this game was a bit unbalance as I have been playing it since the beta and Tim is an excellent player. Dalibor (Japan) used to be a very tough opponent but as he said he hasn't played for a long time and is kind of rusty. Goran made a great effort joining us and in his defence I have to say it is his first Human vs Human game, so he didn't do that bad [&o]. I hope he doesn't feel demoralized and tries again.

GG's AWD, GG's WBTS, GG's WitE Beta Tester
Beta Tester: Panzer Corps, Time of Fury, CtGW, DC CB, DC3 Barbarossa, SC WWII WiE, SC WWII WaW, SC WWI
tcart

Post by tcart »

Yes, thanks to Goran for sticking with it. Perhaps next time the more experienced players can play Axis. It will be uncomfortable going the other way, but also great learning and I find it more fun to play the WA when I'm up against someone tough. Because it matches the usual flow of the war, in a way.

In the meantime, the WA move to isolate Japan. This is a crucial allied step. I should have planned it a bit better, though. The Allies need to be really aggressive to establish a blockade as early as possible. I should have grabbed Okinawa last turn, even if I lost a few transports to do it.

Anyway, I'm there now. I plan to use this as my main base for the final attack. The allies only need one. The key is to kill Japanese transports and blockade the islands. If the Japanese can keep even a small transport fleet they can grab resources from China for a few more turns. As it is, I expect to pummel Japan's resources next turn and effectively shut down his production.

This will lock in a balance of land forces that will allow an invasion once I can get enough troops over there.

I should have been building more transports and upgrading both tac and heavy bombers. I'm a little rusty. I would also normally aim to have 10 of each. I guess we're a bit ahead of schedule, so maybe I shouldn't be too critical of myself. Ideally you want overwhelming tactical and strategic airpower for the final push. Also 5+ paras, as you're limited to the number of guys you can land from the sea. So a big para force can be a game changer. Also it's quite flexible, so the defenders must spread out to cover for it.

The Japanese might have been better served by using the last of his navy to ferry land forces back home. He can't use the resources they're protecting anyway, and if you stack up enough defenders on the home islands they can be a real pain to take.

Attachments
okinawa.jpg
okinawa.jpg (118.38 KiB) Viewed 424 times
kondor

Post by kondor »

There is not much that IJ can do now, but hold to home islands. Now the bombing will start.
rjh1971

Post by rjh1971 »

Fall 43 USSR + China

Vladivostok was undefended so it was a march parade to retake it. Manchuria with it's three resources and 21 stock of supplies was this quarter's main objective and the Japs were expelled.
Now it's all about building supplies, repairing and shifting forces to the Pacific to help the WA.
Japan has not transport fleet so it's only a matter of time before it falls.

China moved its supplies but they did not reach the troops so no movement for further operations until next turn. It probably won't be necessary as the WA will do the job for the Chinese.

Beta Tester: Panzer Corps, Time of Fury, CtGW, DC CB, DC3 Barbarossa, SC WWII WiE, SC WWII WaW, SC WWI
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

Good luck Japan! [;)]
Chancellor Gorkon to Captain James T. Kirk:
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.
kondor

Post by kondor »

Japan does not need luck, it needs a miracle [:D].
Game over - next turn.
rjh1971

Post by rjh1971 »

Fall 43 USSR + China

The Soviets liberate Yakutsk, repair lots of infrastructure and shift air units to strike Japan. Almost all production went to build supplies.

Chinese concentrate their forces to attack French Indochina next quarter.
tcart

Post by tcart »

Fall 43 - Kyushu falls. The Americans have overwhelming air power and a huge fleet, so they could afford to bomb the defenders into submission and then land mostly unopposed. I'll have to read the rules again for Japanese surrender conditions. I thought this would do it. Perhaps Korea has to go, too?

The Army will take Tokyo next turn fairly easily, but I think the honor may fall to the Russians, which seems unjust.

A few useful notes for playtesters. Japan can be a tough nut to crack and if time is running out, you need to prepare ahead. I should have tech-ed up my bombers, isolated it a bit earlier, and had 5 paras and HBs standing by.

For Japanese players, if you see that things are about to fall apart, you're well served to evacuate all of your territory that's about to be isolated and beef up your defenses. If the Japanese can get most of its land forces home in time it can be incredibly hard to take.

Anyway, fun game all. Happy to go again! I'll learn to draw arrows on my images next time, I promise.

Attachments
end.jpg
end.jpg (96.78 KiB) Viewed 424 times
kondor

Post by kondor »

There is not much Hirohito can do at this point.
I've commissioned all the troops I've could, selected a nice spot below a cherry tree, and now I'm observing a fine blade in front of me.

Although a learning game for me, I get to do things I'd normally not pursue.
It was a fun experience.

Ty and congratz to Rafael&Tim[&o], and to Goran - we'll get them next time (or x games after that) [;)].
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

Thank you guys for the AAR.
Chancellor Gorkon to Captain James T. Kirk:
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.
rjh1971

Post by rjh1971 »

Winter 44 USSR + China

USSR performed two carpet bombings over the Japanese resource in Hokkaido. Winter conditions prevented total destruction.
Soviet paratroops were moved to Vladivostok though I doubt they will have time to get into action, Japan will fall next turn.
Attack for heavy soviet heavy bombers increased to 5, the WA have 8.
All production went to research and supplies.

The Chinese captured French Indochina.

If the scenario is to be continued against the WA it will be tough for the Soviets as they are further ahead in technology and have a huge army.
rjh1971

Post by rjh1971 »

ORIGINAL: ncc1701e

Thank you guys for the AAR.

You're welcome hope you enjoyed it.
kondor

Post by kondor »

Thank you for reading.
There might be another up soon. [:D]
tcart

Post by tcart »

The end comes. The US easily conquers Tokyo from it's base in Kyushu.

Attachments
victory.jpg
victory.jpg (126.29 KiB) Viewed 423 times

Return to “After Action Reports”