Partner for an Oil War? (7+42)

Post here to meet players for PBEM games and generally engage in ribbing and banter about your prowess.
CCIP-subsim

Partner for an Oil War? (7+42)

Post by CCIP-subsim »

If anyone's happens to be passing by, would you like to play against me in a large-ish (but not overwhelming) scenario? :)
I'm a relatively recent EBDTR recruit, but now a committed modder and a long-time PBEM player of various other games for the past 15 years, including WiTP.

I propose trying the "Oil Offensive" scenarios - the first one is 7 days and if you decide you enjoyed it, I'd be happy to continue on to scenario #2, which picks up 4 days later is 42 turns long. And of course I am open to other suggestions for scenarios as well!

Playing either side is fine for me, if you have a preference one way or the other.

Post or send me a message if you would be interested. Thanks!

warshipbuilder

RE: Partner for an Oil War? (7+42)

Post by warshipbuilder »

Oil scenario is broken. You can bomb the snot out of the oil capacity but it doesn't stop it.
warshipbuilder

Any ship can be a minesweeper, once.
ED/BTR Ressurection Project
https://www.bombercommandmuseumarchives.ca/
CCIP-subsim

Post by CCIP-subsim »

ugh, that is unfortunate :( Thanks for letting me know, though!

Are there any BTR scenarios that involve (most of) the whole theater but are less than 500 turns long?
(not that I have anything against 500-turn scenarios, but it might be just a bit much for a first go at MP! :D )
warshipbuilder

Post by warshipbuilder »

What, you don't want to invest the next ten years of your life?[:'(]

The BC scenarios are 42 turns but only cover NW Europe. Overloard II is 90, but I have never heard of anyone who could make the armies move on other than their historical dates. So I am not sure if those have problems as well.

Maybe just play the first 50 turns or so of any of the campaign scenarios. Nobody wins, nobody loses, no pressure. You get to learn the game and have some fun. I did that with a guy, our contest was to see who could shoot the most planes down on a daily basis. The winner was decided by who had created the largest pile of scrap aluminum by the last turn. I can't remember if flak kills counted. Try 15 turns with and 15 without and see what is the better balance.
warshipbuilder

Any ship can be a minesweeper, once.
ED/BTR Ressurection Project
https://www.bombercommandmuseumarchives.ca/
CCIP-subsim

Post by CCIP-subsim »

Well considering how long my single-player BTR game is taking... [:D] (and I do love all the detail, but I understand that at that level, it probably WOULD take 10 years to do a full PBEM!)

And yes, I'd considered the ground support campaigns - they're a breeze in single-player, but I find them a bit skewed towards the Allied favour, and with the smaller theater, it's a bit harder to really surprise the opponent.
My main interest and hope in playing a human opponent is that after a couple of months with BTR, I've began seeing ways in which I could exploit certain things that the AI will keep doing repeatedly. Now, it's easy to add house rules to prevent me from playing on those AI blind spots, but it got me thinking about how differently that might go against a real player [:)]

Return to “Opponents Wanted”