Bit more accurate OPFOR

Developed from the United States Marine Corps training simulation, Close Combat: Marines, you take command of modern US forces or various opposition forces in one of 25 scenarios included with the release.
z1812

RE: Bit more accurate OPFOR

Post by z1812 »

Hi Spinel,

Thank you very much.

Regards John
lstp04

Post by lstp04 »

ORIGINAL: spinel

If you are editing only the data (and not graphics), then it is simply enough to use the workbook here:

Ok - So if I only want to edit the "data" (to begin with) in creating some new units / tweaking existing units....I can just edit the values within the Workbook - Then save it - Correct -

Thanks
spinel

Post by spinel »

ORIGINAL: lstp04

If you are editing only the data (and not graphics), then it is simply enough to use the workbook here:

Ok - So if I only want to edit the "data" (to begin with) in creating some new units / tweaking existing units....I can just edit the values within the Workbook - Then save it - Correct -

Thanks

Indeed. You make the appropriate changes in the workbook, then transfer the changes into the appropriate .txt file. (It would be fairly obvious if you rename my .ccm file into a .zip file, unzip, and look at the contents.)

Good luck!
z1812

Post by z1812 »

Hi All,

Spinel thanks very much for the tools. I have done my first vehicle mod. It changes the "Normal Bradley". I have given the hull and turret a little darker outline and that seems to pop the vehicle out a little more. Also you can clearly see the gun now even when it is in line with the hull. I eliminated the light sandy camo areas and put in some black to be more in line with Nato Forest Camo.

As soon as Matrix has their site switch complete then I will post it.

As I look at the vehicles in game it seems to me most could benefit with some outlining and a bit of darkening of the main gun. Mind you it is very repetitious work.

I have also been making a few scenarios that I think will prove entertaining. Again to be posted when the site switch is complete.

regards John
spinel

Post by spinel »

Spinel thanks very much for the tools. I have done my first vehicle mod. It changes the "Normal Bradley" ....

Hi, John, I'm glad to have helped. Would you want to work on the mod together? We can put the graphics together and I think it would be nice.

And on that note, there's this:
ZSU Shilka is also one of my favorites and I would love to see it in game (I was looking for it in the patch but it was not there).

I agree and so I have a 7/4 gift for the poster then (not so much of a gift for the poor virtual Army infantrymen):

http://www.mediafire.com/?bjz21dd2tet

(If it downloads as a .zip file, just rename it into a .ccm file.)

There are some other updated things as well (e.g. the PT-76 is "shortened", slightly improved weapons.txt), etc.

I still hope someone can help draw a M60A3. It's "easy" to draw these vehicles with lots of flat surfaces (e.g. ZSU-23-4) or those where the variants are already in-game (e.g. T-80U) but it's far out of my ability to draw something like a M60A3 .... [:)]

And as always, suggestions/changes/comments/requests are always welcome.
z1812

Post by z1812 »

Hi All,

Anyone know of a tool similiar to the RtBTool for modding soldiers? I see there are some DOS tools but I would need one for Windows.

Regards John
spinel

Post by spinel »

ORIGINAL: z1812

Hi All,

Anyone know of a tool similiar to the RtBTool for modding soldiers? I see there are some DOS tools but I would need one for Windows.

Regards John

The same guy who made RtBTool also made CC2Spriter. Go visit the same site:

http://home.claranet.de/ftf/

and get that instead.
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

Hi spinel,

I've been looking at your data mod (First off, excellent mod! I will never play stock again[:)]) and think I found a small, small typo or something. In Soldiers.txt under the entry for the "Arty spotter / Ak-74" it appears to me that there is no AK-74 in the list of weapons carried by this soldier. For a secondary weapon a fragmentation grenade #27 is listed. Is this correct? I may be mistaken as I'm not entirely versed in the data files yet.

Thanks.
spinel

Post by spinel »

Hi, Gary,

Thanks for your interest, and good catch! That was definitely a mistake. It should read 33 instead of 27, and the problem is now fixed.

Speaking of which, I like your new additions you posted on your other thread, even though I don't know how accurate they are either. [:)] Would you mind posting your new Blueteams.txt (or weapons.txt if you modified it at all) so I can marry it all together with the current mod before I reissue it? For what it's worth, maybe you can take some inspiration from what winSPMBT has for the Rangers:

10 men Ranger Squad of '94-'05 vintage> M4A1, M249 SAW, M203 GL, Stinger
2 men Ranger Anti-Tank Squad of '90 -'09 vintage> M136/AT4 LAW, M16
2 men Ranger Scout of '94-'05 vintage> M4A1
2 men Ranger Anti-Tank Squad of '75-'05 vintage> 66 mm (M202A1, I'm guessing?) Flame Rocket, M16

Anyway, I hope the mod continues to take the open source tack, and I think the mod should be renamed the "Combined Community Mod" (joke meant [;)]) or something to reflect that.
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

Hi, Gary,

Thanks for your interest, and good catch! That was definitely a mistake. It should read 33 instead of 27, and the problem is now fixed.

Speaking of which, I like your new additions you posted on your other thread, even though I don't know how accurate they are either. [:)] Would you mind posting your new Blueteams.txt (or weapons.txt if you modified it at all) so I can marry it all together with the current mod before I reissue it? For what it's worth, maybe you can take some inspiration from what winSPMBT has for the Rangers:

10 men Ranger Squad of '94-'05 vintage> M4A1, M249 SAW, M203 GL, Stinger
2 men Ranger Anti-Tank Squad of '90 -'09 vintage> M136/AT4 LAW, M16
2 men Ranger Scout of '94-'05 vintage> M4A1
2 men Ranger Anti-Tank Squad of '75-'05 vintage> 66 mm (M202A1, I'm guessing?) Flame Rocket, M16

Anyway, I hope the mod continues to take the open source tack, and I think the mod should be renamed the "Combined Community Mod" (joke meant [;)]) or something to reflect that.

Cool beans! [8D]

Unfortunately the Ranger/Airborne mod is a little ways from finish. I'm still trying to get difinitive confirmation on what the team composition should be. I can give you what I have so far to look over. I made one change. I took out the "A" and "B" teams and just have a generic Ranger and Airborne Fire Team. What info I could get on the teams came from these sites:

http://orbat.com/site/toe/toe/usa/platoontoe.html

http://www.globalspecialoperations.com/ranger.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fireteam

This is what I have so far:

Blue Teams file (8 teams added):

Attachments
BlueTeams.txt
(50.17 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

The only other file I had to modify was the soldiers file. 1 soldier added Arty spotter/M4A1 carbine

Let me know what you think.
Attachments
Soldiers.txt
(13.11 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
spinel

Post by spinel »

Thanks, Gary!

Unfortunately, it seems like the Matrix forum is not functioning properly and I can't get your text files. Can you put your .txt files in a .zip and upload it to mediafire? That way I can pick it up.

By the way, I think I will downgrade the experience levels and morale of every other squad except for the special forces units so they "stand out". Since this requires changing the entire blueteams.txt and redteams.txt, I hope you can wait until I post the new files (after incorporating your current changes) before making more changes. [:)]
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

Try this. I uploaded it to my yahoo geocities web site.

http://www.geocities.com/garychildress47/ABNRangers.zip

EDIT: I like your idea of downgrading experience levels. That should make a very interesting mod. [:)]
spinel

Post by spinel »

Thanks, Gary.

Here, give this new draft a try:

http://www.mediafire.com/?tmymxrww3h1

(As usual, just rename the file to .ccm if it saved as .ccm.zip.)

I have changed all the morale and experience of the other units. I think this is a good scheme:

> Army - Generally given 1st line ranking experience
> SVR - Somewhere between 1st line ranking and 2nd line ranking experience
> US Airborne Forces - Given experienced status
> US Rangers and Special Forces - Given elite status
> VDV - Given somewhere between 1st line ranking and experienced status
> Spestnaz - Given elite experience
> Snipers, Hunter/Killer, command teams given more morale than regular rifle squads

As the game is, there are way too many rank 4 and 5 units and barely any unit have experience rank 1 or 2. Anyway, I will give the morale and experience of the other units another pass later since this is just a quick draft.

I also renumbered/renamed your units a bit to keep the unit list sane and to make things easier to find. You will now find them at blueteams.txt 121-127 and 142 instead of at the bottom of the list. (You can probably tell I'm trying to keep alphabetical order on the branch of service. [:)])

Have fun!
lstp04

Post by lstp04 »

Thanks, Gary.

I have changed all the morale and experience of the other units. I think this is a good scheme:

> Snipers, Hunter/Killer, command teams given more morale than regular rifle squads

As the game is, there are way too many rank 4 and 5 units and barely any unit have experience rank 1 or 2. Anyway, I will give the morale and experience of the other units another pass later since this is just a quick draft.

I also renumbered/renamed your units a bit to keep the unit list sane and to make things easier to find. You will now find them at blueteams.txt 121-127 and 142 instead of at the bottom of the list. (You can probably tell I'm trying to keep alphabetical order on the branch of service. [:)])

Have fun!

Spinel -

Great efforts you are donig here - I like the idea of tweaking down "morale" as well for many units -

Is there any chance I can just download (or have you send me via email) your changes within the workbook? Not your whole mod.....but just your workbook. I would like to look it over via excel....and see the changes and such.

Thank you if possible.
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

Thanks, Gary.

Have fun!

Looks great! [&o]
spinel

Post by spinel »

Spinel -

Great efforts you are donig here - I like the idea of tweaking down "morale" as well for many units -

Is there any chance I can just download (or have you send me via email) your changes within the workbook? Not your whole mod.....but just your workbook. I would like to look it over via excel....and see the changes and such.

Thank you if possible.

Hi, lstp04,

You can grab it here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?v2btl2mjdnt

Given how fluid the state of the mod is, it actually is better if you just open up the .ccm file every time I post one and cope/paste all the data in the .txt files into the Workbook. Or maybe I should just put the Workbook within the .ccm next time to make life easier.

Anyway, feel free to give comments on possible mistakes, errors, additions, etc.!
spinel

Post by spinel »

ORIGINAL: Gary Childress

Looks great! [&o]

Thanks for working on it!

By the way, and do tell me if this is too tough or not, would you mind making a scenario featuring the new units (maybe once you get your map done)? [:)] I think it would be a great addition to the mod and a good way to test the units.
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

Map making will take a while to master. But I could create a scenario from existing maps for the new units. [:)]

EDIT: I usually just do two player scenarios with the BGs locked if that's OK.
VDV

Post by VDV »

Cool.. Nice to see this kind of took on a life of it's own.

I have actually altered about 90% of the original early stuff that I posted. I've added a few things here and there and fleshed out a Current Russian To&E (Heavy on the VDV forces) based on the unit revisions During Grozny #1 and after Grozny #2. In these additions I've added MVD internal troop units and also separated out the different "classes" of General SVRF (Russian ground forces or Sukhoputnye voiska Rossíyskoy Federátsii) to High readiness and conscript formations. (I.E. "Guards" units and reserve / security units)

It has been a challenge to keep simplicity and functionality along with accuracy in doing so. Current Russian units and their equipment compliments are very fluid in composition and based heavily on mission need. It is not uncommon for Company or even battalion assets to be distributed down to the platoon level. For example a Company ATGM or AGL team may be attached to a specific Platoon for a specific mission. RPO-A thermobaric weapons may be issued as an ammunition compliment at squad level or they may be part of a Battalion Flame weapons team with an actual structure. Command and control networks are also complex and I have been taking this on as the next task. The fact is Russian units do not act without a Command structure in place. Trying to narrow this realistically in Gameplay has been a bit tough. It is either too much or too little. Still trying to find that right balance.

That said Spinel and Gary please do not hesitate to get me involved in the changes your making at this time. I'd be happy to give you my Data and graphic changes.

I do tend to have much going on so I'm not on here often but you can Email me at Atractosteus AT@ gmail.com We can keep in better contact through this.

Return to “Close Combat: Modern Tactics”