Can this game honestly be described as stable in MP?

3D version of Close Combat
squatter

Can this game honestly be described as stable in MP?

Post by squatter »

My friend and I were talking about how CC is probably the best real-time wargame ever when played in multiplayer.

But we were also lamenting how NONE of the CC games we've played - including the original series, the Matrix updates, and the GoG re-releases - could honestly be marketed as being stable in MP.

In fact I felt that the Matrix updates - Caen, Market Garden, etc - were scandalous almost fraudulent releases because much like their predecessors they were effectively unplayable in multiplayer campaigns (the only mode we are interested in). We wasted a lot of money on these games, which we basically never played due to multiplayer instability.

So the question is - is this game HONESTLY stable in multiplayer (ie, hardly ever crashes), or is it just the same as all the others (ie, a crash almost every other game)?

If it's the former, I will buy it.

If it's the latter, I honestly think its a scandal that these games can continue to be marketed as multiplayer.
Divadov

RE: Can this game honestly be described as stable in MP?

Post by Divadov »

I have played some battles and I have finished the 90%, other times the connection was broken.
squatter

Post by squatter »

Thanks for the reply.

I'm going to take that to mean nothing has changed - CC is not, and never has been, stable in MP
WillKnott

Post by WillKnott »

I played over LTE at a rural lakehouse using cellphone tethering multiple times. My opponent uses his phone and I use mine. Not the speediest, but no disconnects after the first major patch. Playing on fiber internet has speed and is solid. Having played both the old engine vs the new engine, I dont have any bomb outs that interrupt the game. after all the latest patches, I have not had any disconnects and dont fear the mid game crash that plagued the old engine. They rewrote the engine completely. it was a 2d game for years until this versions 3d engine, so its not that they had to 'fix' anything from old engine because that didn't carry over. Current game uses a public intermediary server to handle the game, unlike the old version which used one players pc to control things. You also cant blame the game every time, when one person says they experience disconnects, it may be their isp had issues or some congested internet hub had trouble between you and server. I play regularly my opponent who is on cell phone hotspot at a lakehouse and we dont have disconnects, we experience slower time progression because his side has longer delays. When we play in same room on fiber internet w 200G+ speeds things rock much faster.

Return to “Close Combat – The Bloody First”