Philippines

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderator: AlvaroSousa

Peek101

Philippines

Post by Peek101 »

I'm struggling with the Philippines since the 1.00.02 update. I've found that if you land the 12th Army in the hex Northwest of Manilla, throw in some naval support, and hit the defenders with the air units based on Formosa, it is possible to take the city. However the chances of doing this seem about 50/50 and if you fail you aren't left in a great position, the 12th army will now need beachhead supply and the Americans can swap the division in Manilla out for one of the corps and it's going to be pretty tough to shift. Plus Manilla is a supply city now so can't be blockaded. Just wondereed if anyone has a better strategy for capturing the Philippines?
kennonlightfoot

RE: Philippines

Post by kennonlightfoot »

I think the intent of the 02 update was to make it take at least 2 turns to conquer the Philippines. This can be usually done by using air units to sink as many ships in Manila as possible with the army plus at least a division or two landing to take ports and cut off the lone US unit from retreating south to hold out longer. I may take three turns if the Philippine units can get into Manila full strength.

Historically, Manila was surrendered on Dec 26 which would correspond to the two turn conquest.

If you consider Bataan as well that took a lot longer but in the game there is no way for Bataan battle to occur. Corregidor held out until May 8th.
Kennon
stjeand

Post by stjeand »

Okay you should do the following, or at least I do.

Turn 1
Land divisions in Aparri and Legaspi of the main island.
I never land the army...I wait a turn and bring it in via transport saving 30 LC plus it will give time for the below.
NOW move 3 ships to blockade Manilla.
Move 3 ships to blockade Lingayen.
BOMB the ships with every air unit you have...and possibly bring in two CVLs...you want to sink EVERYTHING.

Turn 2
The Philippine and US divisions are now out of supply
Land the army in Aparri.
Move the divisions in tightening the noose. If you have good odds you can attack but I am not sure what they will be. Leave the US division alone.

Now just keep moving in to take it over. Will take another turn or two...

IF you land the army you really need to take a port to supply it, though you could with your navy since you have superiority.

Peek101

Post by Peek101 »

Great advice, thanks guys.
generalfdog

Post by generalfdog »

good advice also keep in mind torpedo boats no longer blockade a port that messed me up until I figured that out

Return to “The War Room”