Land Combat Question

WarPlan Pacific is an operational level wargame which covers all the nations at war in the Pacific theatre from December 1941 to 1945 on a massive game scale.

Moderator: AlvaroSousa

Aramike

Land Combat Question

Post by Aramike »

Re-reading the manual, I'm struggling to understand the land combat rounds. Each round uses a different attribute, and it lists up to 5 rounds.

What I don't get is how this works with efficiency. My understanding was that each round of combat reduces efficiency. As such, by the time we get into the battle with, say, tanks (at round 3), the efficiency would be reduced. Meaning, tanks never attack at full efficiency. Can someone please clarify because I think I'm just not understanding?

Also, can I assume that combats that go beyond 5 rounds are just continued with firearms?

Thanks in advance! Great game!
AlvaroSousa

Re: Land Combat Question

Post by AlvaroSousa »

Yes there are rounds of different attributes firing that affect the unit. The effect is very minor in the overall combat. The idea is to quantify the difference between a unit heavy in anti-tank doing a little better against armor and mech than a standard infantry unit. It is also used to distinguish between different nationalities and their equipment.

The distinction you are looking for is not as prevalent as you think. There is no this unit counters than unit in the game.

But say as Germany late in the way building defensive units with anti-tank specialization at key points does have an impact when attacked by armor and mech. The small difference are felt over time but not noticeable in one combat.

As for how effective the unit is each round of fire, yes it impacts it. But it is very minor.

And yes unit never attack at full efficiency as it was in the real war. There are always sick soldiers, damaged vehicles requiring repair, missing equipment.
Creator Kraken Studios
- WarPlan
- WarPlan Pacific

Designer Strategic Command
- Brute Force (mod) SC2
- Assault on Communism SC2
- Assault on Democracy SC2
- Map Image Importer SC3
Aramike

Post by Aramike »

Thanks for the response! I think I get what you're saying. I'm in June of '44 in my first campaign (against the AI) and my experience lines up in that it doesn't seem as though the difference is huge. If I may ask one more probably stupid question: when we are saying "rounds", is each attack a round? Or does each attack calculate in all 5 rounds?
AlvaroSousa

Post by AlvaroSousa »

Each is separate against the unit affecting the next round. So if a unit takes losses from the artillery round then those strength factors are not attacking in the next round. But the variables are really small.
Creator Kraken Studios
- WarPlan
- WarPlan Pacific

Designer Strategic Command
- Brute Force (mod) SC2
- Assault on Communism SC2
- Assault on Democracy SC2
- Map Image Importer SC3

Return to “Warplan Pacific”