Finally want to figure this out...setting SU levels

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderator: Joel Billings

parkingmyscooter

Finally want to figure this out...setting SU levels

Post by parkingmyscooter »

Hey everyone,

OK - I finally want to figure this part of the game out. It's puzzled me for a long time.

How do automatic support unit reassignments work? I've read the manual and have done a ton of experimenting. Here is (more specifically) what I am confused about:

1. I recognize that the 0-9 toggles determine how many of each class of SU get assigned to each HQ. But in a game where you might have hundreds of SUs, how do you typically allocate these? Do you just do the math based on how many classes there are, SUs there are, and HQs? Or are there rules of thumb?
2. I tested the following in a Road to Leningrad scenario: all Corps had SUs set to 9, and all higher commands set to 0. Screenshot below. Why is OKH still holding on to 18 SUs? (mostly AA, if that's worth noting). Note that I'm already 6 turns into the game
3. Similarly, I tested putting OKH at support level 9, and then everything else at 0. That worked better as the vast majority went up to OKH, but NOT all. After 5-6 turns there was just no more movement and maybe 5-10 were still spread out across the other HQs.
4. Slightly separate topic, but I have read many comments suggesting that SUs should be moved to OKH/Stavka at the start of the game. Why is that? I can understand re-assigning them to evenly spread across Corps, but I thought keeping them at the lower-level command is the most effective.

Any help would be really great! Thanks

20240131215948_1.jpg
20240131215948_1.jpg (407.36 KiB) Viewed 425 times
Shiva the Destroyer

Re: Finally want to figure this out...setting SU levels

Post by Shiva the Destroyer »

Interesting OP, why no answers? Anyone?
Denniss

Post by Denniss »

I believe there's a set amout of subunit types and how many of each type per HQ type and level. Or there's just something specified for level 1 which is then simply increased in further levels.
The best way to tet this is in GC41 with both players set to human. first get all subunits to OKH and then set a single german Corps/Army/Army Group to 1 (all others at zero)
M60A3TTS

Post by M60A3TTS »

1. Not necessarily. From the manual: Construction and engineer support units have permanently assigned support level settings that override player support level settings, with the exception of “LOCKED,” which will stop the automatic transfer of any support units from the “LOCKED” headquarters unit. There is no typical setup. Some focus a lot of artillery in specific HQs to maximize an advantage. Others just parcel them out equally. There is no textbook answer here.

2. Different reasons, none of which can explain it without a save. One possibility, if an SU arrives on a given turn as a reinforcement, it cannot be assigned out that same turn.

4. Moving them to OKH or Stavka is only an interim step pending your subsequent actions. Any SU can be assigned anywhere from the highest HQ. All lower HQs have a limited distance they can transfer from. A corps HQ can only transfer up to a distance of 10 hexes to another on-map HQ for example.
56ajax

Post by 56ajax »

4. This is a tactic to easily re assign SUs to where you want them and not to where they were historically assigned.

This is very much a WiTE1 tactic ie before the implementation of CPP in the game. Re assigning a SU costs 50% of its CPP everytime you re assign.
Molotov : This we did not deserve.

Foch : This is not peace. This is a 20 year armistice.

C'est la guerre aérienne
Shiva the Destroyer

Post by Shiva the Destroyer »

56ajax wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:18 am 4. This is a tactic to easily re assign SUs to where you want them and not to where they were historically assigned.

This is very much a WiTE1 tactic ie before the implementation of CPP in the game. Re assigning a SU costs 50% of its CPP everytime you re assign.
Interesting point...

This seems though that the first few turns of a June 22 1941 start won't matter that much getting them re assigned since the first turns are so much weighted to the Axis favor. After that though, it's worth considering, especially as you "prepare" your "assault" units for Odessa and possibly Leningrad and the rest of the game thereafter.

Return to “The War Room”