Ode to Berto

Campaign Series: Vietnam is a new turn-based, tactical/operational war game that focuses on the Indochina War, Vietnam Civil War and the first years of US involvement in Vietnam with over 100 historical scenarios.

Moderator: Jason Petho

Jason Petho

Ode to Berto

Post by Jason Petho »

It is with great sadness that I am informing you that Robert "Berto" Osterlund has passed away this morning. As the programmer, Berto has been pivotal in the growth of the Campaign Series capabilities and making the Campaign Series games what they are today. Berto and his exceptional expertise will be sorely missed. Our team offers our condolences to his family.

Nikel

Re: Ode to Berto

Post by Nikel »

Sorry to read the bad news.

I met him in Ageod forum, he was creating mods for AACW.

RIP Berto :cry:
Ronzy

Post by Ronzy »

Jason Petho wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:29 pm It is with great sadness that I am informing you that Robert "Berto" Osterlund has passed away this morning. As the programmer, Berto has been pivotal in the growth of the Campaign Series capabilities and making the Campaign Series games what they are today. Berto and his exceptional expertise will be sorely missed. Our team offers our condolences to his family.

Sad to hear. I am sure he was a valued member to the team behind this game (I have seen his name/moniker in many of the older posts regarding the development of the CS games). My sympathies to the CS game development/programming team.

:(
Bo Rearguard

Post by Bo Rearguard »

For many years Berto graciously hosted my graphic mod for Gary Grigsby's ACW game "War between the States". Sorry to hear of his passing, :cry:
"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist ...." Union General John Sedgwick, 1864
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

That is terrible news. So sorry to hear it.

- Mike
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

We've lost a gem with Berto, not only a great programmer, but a board and computer wargamer and a military history buff as well. His great contribution was to become fluent in most if not all Tiller engines, both at Campaign Series Legion for the Matrix owned Tiller code branch, as well as for the other engines Wargame Design Studio took over from John Tiller Software.

He shone in not only maintaining and adding new features to existing codebase, but he also designed and coded a full Lua based Event Engine to Campaign Series side of things. I am not quite aware of all things with our WDS colleagues, I hope he had the time to implement it there, too. It is quite something, and all about his vision as how a modern game AI should run.

All that, and a top guy with a great sense of humour.

Rest in peace, Berto.
Visit us at: Campaign Series Legion
---
CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 < v1.30 Available Now
CS: Middle East 1948-1985 < v2.30 Available Now (full reimage)
Big Ivan

Post by Big Ivan »

Yes berto was a great member of the CS Development Team and the best game coder I have ever known. All of us there will miss him greatly!

RIP berto and thank you for making so many dreams come true with the Campaign Series games!
Blitz call sign Big Ivan.
benpark

Post by benpark »

That's sad news. What a talented, smart, and nice guy he was.
"Fear is a darkroom where the devil develops his negatives" Gary Busey
zweibelen

Post by zweibelen »

So sorry to hear that he passed. I've enjoyed his work for years. This is my first post ever on the Matrix forum, which I hope illustrates how much fun he's given me over the years. Very sad. I swear he just posted a few days ago. RIP.
Zovs

Post by Zovs »

My condolences to his family and friends.

I was shocked to read this, I did not think he was that old.

Will the CS continue on since his passing?

I might be wrong but I thought he was one of the main contributors to it.
Beta Tester for: War in the East 1 & 2, WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific, Valor & Victory, Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm, Computer War In Europe 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator
Tester for WDS games
carll11

Post by carll11 »

I offer my condolences to family and friends as well............. Berto was well known among us and gave of himself that these communities would thrive, he, like John T., helped make comp. gaming what it is today...........He wont be forgotten as his work, right here for example, will live on....RIP.
randy44

Post by randy44 »

shocked and saddened. my condolences to his family and friends.
alwaysdime

Post by alwaysdime »

Damn that sucks. I feel for his family and friends. Do we know what happened? Heart attack? Shooting? Car accident?
Big Ivan

Post by Big Ivan »

alwaysdime wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:03 am Damn that sucks. I feel for his family and friends. Do we know what happened? Heart attack? Shooting? Car accident?
He lost his battle to cancer. He had been fighting it for a while.
parmenio

Post by parmenio »

Big Ivan wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:40 am He lost his battle to cancer. He had been fighting it for a while.
Yes and he kept working till the end.
Unfortunately, I never had the chance to meet him in person.
Wargame Design Studio
Lead Programmer
https://wargameds.com/
Big Ivan

Post by Big Ivan »

parmenio wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:18 am
Big Ivan wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:40 am He lost his battle to cancer. He had been fighting it for a while.
Yes and he kept working till the end.
Unfortunately, I never had the chance to meet him in person.
Yes, I never had a chance to meet him either and he did keep working until the end.

I worked closely with him and Jason Petho on the Campaign Series for some time. Berto will be truly missed by a lot of folks!!

Thanks Andy and take care!!
ArmyEsq

Post by ArmyEsq »

This is terribly sad to hear. May he rest in peace.
Phoenix100

Post by Phoenix100 »

Terrible news. Really saddened by it.

Return to “Campaign Series: Vietnam”