Week in Binh Long Q's

Campaign Series: Vietnam is a new turn-based, tactical/operational war game that focuses on the Indochina War, Vietnam Civil War and the first years of US involvement in Vietnam with over 100 historical scenarios.

Moderator: Jason Petho

basilstaghare

Re: Week in Binh Long Q's

Post by basilstaghare »

Jason,

The SF Supplies at Loc Ninh...what should be done with them? Thanks.
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

The will eventually be moved to Cambodia, as they will be essential for supplying your LRRPs.

Clear a landing zone in Cambodia near your operations and find a nice place to hide them.
basilstaghare

Post by basilstaghare »

FYI - Just as I thought I was going to hold all objectives in Louisiana on Day 1, in the predawn hours (Turn 55 or so), my two LRRP units were overrun by a Sapper Unit and an Irregular unit near LZ La 5. Wow, the AI in this scenario is very crafty. I replayed the turn (shamelessly save scummed) and was able to pull the LRRP's back and have a Company of the 2/28 come down (but carefully staying within 4 hexes of LZ La 5) and deal with the Sapper unit and sent the LRRP's back to recapture the two objectives....
basilstaghare

Post by basilstaghare »

Jason,

Not sure if this was intentional but there is a "0" Objective inside Georgia @ 92,88 on Day 2. This would seem to contradict the mission orders for day 2. FYI & Thanks.
basilstaghare

Post by basilstaghare »

Jason Petho wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:46 pm Clear a landing zone in Cambodia near your operations and find a nice place to hide them.
Units with the daisy cutter ability can clear LZ's (Ctrl + C)? What types of terrain can be cleared for an LZ? My dozer has 100 actions points sitting in a forest hex, I press Ctrl + C, hear the explosion sound but nothing happens. No action points are expended? Thanks.

Edit: Disregard. The LZ was built the next turn right where the dozer had cleared it.
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

basilstaghare wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 9:54 am FYI - Just as I thought I was going to hold all objectives in Louisiana on Day 1, in the predawn hours (Turn 55 or so), my two LRRP units were overrun by a Sapper Unit and an Irregular unit near LZ La 5. Wow, the AI in this scenario is very crafty. I replayed the turn (shamelessly save scummed) and was able to pull the LRRP's back and have a Company of the 2/28 come down (but carefully staying within 4 hexes of LZ La 5) and deal with the Sapper unit and sent the LRRP's back to recapture the two objectives....
I hope you enjoyed that little ambush! *laughs*
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

basilstaghare wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:15 am Jason,

Not sure if this was intentional but there is a "0" Objective inside Georgia @ 92,88 on Day 2. This would seem to contradict the mission orders for day 2. FYI & Thanks.
Ah crap. I thought I got all the errors, thank you for pointing it out. I will confirm!
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

basilstaghare wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:09 am
Jason Petho wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:46 pm Clear a landing zone in Cambodia near your operations and find a nice place to hide them.
Units with the daisy cutter ability can clear LZ's (Ctrl + C)? What types of terrain can be cleared for an LZ? My dozer has 100 actions points sitting in a forest hex, I press Ctrl + C, hear the explosion sound but nothing happens. No action points are expended? Thanks.

Edit: Disregard. The LZ was built the next turn right where the dozer had cleared it.
Glad it worked! Let me know if the landing zone actually works. I'd be curious, I never tried.
basilstaghare

Post by basilstaghare »

Jason Petho wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:26 pm I hope you enjoyed that little ambush! *laughs*
The sappers are quite nasty indeed!
basilstaghare

Post by basilstaghare »

Jason Petho wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:27 pm Glad it worked! Let me know if the landing zone actually works. I'd be curious, I never tried.
I thought it would work. I got the LZ "H" symbol and everything, The Helo can land, but alas it gives an error message when trying load, "Helicopter cannot load in a forest hex"....maybe you can only clear a landing zone in a grass hex or something?
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

basilstaghare wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:48 pm
Jason Petho wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:27 pm Glad it worked! Let me know if the landing zone actually works. I'd be curious, I never tried.
I thought it would work. I got the LZ "H" symbol and everything, The Helo can land, but alas it gives an error message when trying load, "Helicopter cannot load in a forest hex"....maybe you can only clear a landing zone in a grass hex or something?
That's what I thought. If you're playing with "Historical Landing Zone" option, you are only able to land where the current LZ's are.
basilstaghare

Post by basilstaghare »

Jason Petho wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:50 pm That's what I thought. If you're playing with "Historical Landing Zone" option, you are only able to land where the current LZ's are.
Well, you can land (and possibly unload) but you cannot load anything...
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

Well, you can land (and possibly unload) but you cannot load anything...
Yes, because it's not an official landing zone, unfortunately.
basilstaghare

Post by basilstaghare »

Jason Petho wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:27 pm
basilstaghare wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:15 am Jason,

Ah crap. I thought I got all the errors, thank you for pointing it out. I will confirm!
Jason - assuming this is an error, should I go ahead and take the "0" value objective @ 92,88 on Day 2 and accept a small penalty to get the Georgia bonus or leave it alone for now? Thanks.
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

It should be an error of me classifying it as a 1 for the day, so it should be OK to take.
basilstaghare

Post by basilstaghare »

Thanks for your continued support, Jason. I am well into Day 2 @ Turn 78. Things were going nicely when all of the sudden, a full company of VC assaulted an undefended Firebase that I thought was secure. The poor artillery battery and construction engineers had to grab their M16's and fight for their lives while I pieced together an ad hoc group to rescue them. Thank goodness for the gunships as they saved the day, catching the enemy in the open and making short work of them with their miniguns and rockets....pretty exciting stuff...

You might look at hex 87,106 as a possible error "0" value objective along LTL17 in Georgia.

Thanks.
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

Thanks for your continued support, Jason. I am well into Day 2 @ Turn 78. Things were going nicely when all of the sudden, a full company of VC assaulted an undefended Firebase that I thought was secure. The poor artillery battery and construction engineers had to grab their M16's and fight for their lives while I pieced together an ad hoc group to rescue them. Thank goodness for the gunships as they saved the day, catching the enemy in the open and making short work of them with their miniguns and rockets....pretty exciting stuff...
No worries at all!

I'm glad you're enjoying the scenario so far!

Yay for surprises! *laughs*
You might look at hex 87,106 as a possible error "0" value objective along LTL17 in Georgia.
Thank you for the heads up, I appreciate that! I will take a look to make sure it's all good.
basilstaghare

Post by basilstaghare »

Q: I moved the SF Supply to La LZ 5 and had the two LRRPs sitting on top of the same hex for many turns and they have yet to be resupplied? The LRRP's continue to have low ammo indicators. Maybe the SF supply has to be in Cambodia for it to work? Thanks.
basilstaghare

Post by basilstaghare »

basilstaghare wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:58 am Q: I moved the SF Supply to La LZ 5 and had the two LRRPs sitting on top of the same hex for many turns and they have yet to be resupplied? The LRRP's continue to have low ammo indicators. Maybe the SF supply has to be in Cambodia for it to work? Thanks.
Disregard. I moved them to another La LZ along with the supplies and they resupplied just fine.
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

Ah yes, it will help keeping the supplies closer.

As the distances are longer, it will take awhile, so you'll have to be patient.

Return to “Campaign Series: Vietnam”