Why is this a defeat?

Valor & Victory is a fast-playing, easy to learn World War II squad-level game system. Based on the original Valor & Victory board game, the digital edition provides you with an accessible and deep challenge, developed for classic tabletop game lovers.
lollipops

Why is this a defeat?

Post by lollipops »

I was playing the Dzerzhinskiy Tractor Factory in the Stalingrad DLC and fought my way through to 3 of the 4 victory hexes required to win. The Allies on their final turn managed to kill all of my troops holding the victory hexes but didn't manage to actually take them or turn the victory hex flags from my Axis to their Allied. I was enjoying that nice glowing feeling of a victory just barely scrapped from the jaws of defeat when this defeat screen pops up.
When is a defeat NOT a defeat.jpg
When is a defeat NOT a defeat.jpg (798.82 KiB) Viewed 459 times
What happened here? The scenario says I have to control 3 victory hexes at the end of the game. The flags say I do. Why was this a defeat?
eddieballgame

Re: Why is this a defeat?

Post by eddieballgame »

That is interesting, have never encountered this.
The Victory Condition states 'Attacker must control 3 objectives at the end of the last turn to win.'
Question, did you have any troops left at the end?
Apparently the key word here is control & if not, maybe the game determines that with zero forces, you have no control.
lollipops

Post by lollipops »

I did wonder about that myself. I had only 2% of my forces left, I think it was a half squad or a leader or something like that. It's currently hidden under the defeat notice anyway.

I do think maybe a Contested Battle notification might be better than a straight out defeat here. After all, the enemy hasn't stopped me from obtaining those 3 required Victory Hexes either, so at the end of this battle the best that could be said for either side is that neither of us has won.

I still maintain though that since my flags are planted on the 3 required Victory Hexes, they're not yet out of my control!

Or maybe I'm just being a sore loser :D
Zovs

Post by Zovs »

I believe the losses is the key. You only have inflicted 47% losses to the Soviets, but you have received 98% losses to your forces!
Beta Tester for: War in the East 1 & 2, WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific, Valor & Victory, Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm, Computer War In Europe 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator
Tester for WDS games

Return to “Valor & Victory”