How to queue ship orders?

The Galaxy Lives On! Distant Worlds, the critically acclaimed 4X space strategy game is back with a brand new 64-bit engine, 3D graphics and a polished interface to begin an epic new Distant Worlds series with Distant Worlds 2. Distant Worlds 2 is a vast, pausable real-time 4X space strategy game. Experience the full depth and detail of turn-based strategy, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game.

Moderator: MOD_DW2

rxnnxs

Re: How to queue ship orders?

Post by rxnnxs »

Please, do it this year.

It is because of many things, one of the reason is that when we issue a new move command (while pursuing a enemy fleet that goes here and there..)
every new course correction lets the ship(s) stop and recalculate and initiate the jump sequence again.. and again..
now with a queued move command, they (fleet or ship) could fly where they were told to go and then go to the next queued coordination.
xor0

Post by xor0 »

Just starting playing this, thinking it is pretty good. Maybe really good. There's a lot of great stuff in it.

Then I see you can't queue ship orders. What? Seriously? This thread is over a year old. Why isn't it done already? More important than any fluff additions. Basic functionality.

So, is it because the devs have decided to change how the game is played? Now it's about catering to the masses, knuckledraggers who want to sit and watch the galaxy slowly turn their color without having to do anything? Maybe they like that and buy it. But the real players won't, and they won't buy DU3. Then the mouthbreathers will notice and won't buy it either.

Who knows? Anyway, new 4X games come out all the time. You had your chance.
thegreybetween

Post by thegreybetween »

xor0 wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 4:12 pm Just starting playing this, thinking it is pretty good. Maybe really good. There's a lot of great stuff in it.

Then I see you can't queue ship orders. What? Seriously? This thread is over a year old. Why isn't it done already? More important than any fluff additions. Basic functionality.

So, is it because the devs have decided to change how the game is played? Now it's about catering to the masses, knuckledraggers who want to sit and watch the galaxy slowly turn their color without having to do anything? Maybe they like that and buy it. But the real players won't, and they won't buy DU3. Then the mouthbreathers will notice and won't buy it either.

Who knows? Anyway, new 4X games come out all the time. You had your chance.
- First post? Check.
- Belittle the devs? Check.
- Insult the player base? Check.
- Ignore the content of the thread about their pet issue to rant about it not being solved yet? Check.
- Respond to this comment to say that their "pet issue" is in fact the most obvious, simple, and serious problem with the game and that my comment basically proves that the devs and I are knuckledragging, mouthbreathing idiots? Pending.
- "This game is doomed" -style mic-drop? Check.

Friends, we've made it! The forums are finally attracting "real gamers".
scotten_usa

Post by scotten_usa »

thegreybetween wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:23 pm
- First post? Check.
- Belittle the devs? Check.
- Insult the player base? Check.
- Ignore the content of the thread about their pet issue to rant about it not being solved yet? Check.
- Respond to this comment to say that their "pet issue" is in fact the most obvious, simple, and serious problem with the game and that my comment basically proves that the devs and I are knuckledragging, mouthbreathing idiots? Pending.
- "This game is doomed" -style mic-drop? Check.

Friends, we've made it! The forums are finally attracting "real gamers".

Well said!
twent

Post by twent »

Devs, thank you for this great game - it is an instant favourite game for me. Having purchased it at the end of August, I am very late to the game compared to others here, I can already see the huge strides of progress made over since release, I hope you keep it up and make this game an even bigger success. I also appreciate the posts and YouTube videos from Erik.
scotten_usa wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 6:40 pm I'm posting a month old thread to say that I also want to be able to queue ship orders. Pleaaaaase!?
Scott thank you for your guide & YouTube videos, they helped me a lot.

Back on this thread....
I'm posting in a 3 month old thread just to say that I also want to be able to queue ship orders, please.
In a game like this, for many reasons, being able to go down to that detail (of ordering an individual ship to do X and then Y and then Z) is needed and really "expected" by detail oriented players and it should harm no other players who do not care about it.
Early on, when we have a handful ships, it is good to keep player busy.
Later on, when there is so much to do, it is still good to be able to selectively optimize and customize a particular ships tasks to make them work exactly like we want.
tortugapower

Post by tortugapower »

Checking back on this.

Any update on manually queuing ship orders?

Thanks,
Tortuga
Matrix Games video tutorials:
Distant Worlds Universe
Advanced Tactics Gold
Jorgen_CAB

Post by Jorgen_CAB »

tortugapower wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 5:34 am Checking back on this.

Any update on manually queuing ship orders?

Thanks,
Tortuga
It is on the todo list but have not been prioritized as of yet. They said the implementation of this feature are relatively major from a programming perspective. I hope they will start looking at this after the Shakturi major DLC is released.
tortugapower

Post by tortugapower »

Thanks Jorgen.

I don't understand how this is a major undertaking. Any insight from Erik or Elliot as to why?
Matrix Games video tutorials:
Distant Worlds Universe
Advanced Tactics Gold
idrismakesgames

Post by idrismakesgames »

Micro managing is one of the main reasons why so many love the first game. It is a key aspect to distant worlds universe enjoyment to me.

This thread has always being bumped and always on the first page of this forum since launch. Do their community not have any real voice here? I truly dont understand why it has taken this long to implement such an expected and key feature.

I dont want to sound ungrateful as I have bought the game and its DLC to support the devs, even though I haven't played a minute of it. (I have seriously been waiting for this feature since launch.)

Return to “Distant Worlds 2”