What Book Are You Reading at the moment?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

warspite1

Re: What Book Are You Reading at the moment?

Post by warspite1 »

rkr1958 wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 6:00 pm Just pick this book up for my nook and starting reading it. Immediately thought of warpite1, was wondering if he had read it, and if so, what he thought about it. Also, haven't heard from him lately and was wondering how he's doing.

I just read through the introduction and barely gotten into the 1st chapter. They do quote Adm Cunningham when pressured to not to risk his ships trying to evacuate the CW troops on Crete. "Takes 3 years to build a ship but 300 years to rebuild a tradition". Reading through so far I definitely can relate the action in the book at some level to the action that general plays out in MWIF in the Med in 1941. Not as related to Greece or Crete but fighting for control of the East & West Med with the RN suffering from the lack of airpower versus the Italians and Germans.

999-Naval-Battle-of-Crete-1941.png
warspite1

Hi rkr1958. I've not bought this one yet - but its on the list. I buy many of the WWII Osprey Campaign Series - and all the naval campaigns so this one will be purchased in the coming months.

I see you quote Admiral Cunningham - "It takes 3 years to build a ship but 300 years to rebuild a tradition". :) I had this as part of my signature, alongside HMS Warspite, before it got lost when they changed the forum. It's a wonderful quote. The Royal Navy spent so much of the early war years putting itself in harms way, without adequate support, to rescue the army....

Yes, MWIF's naval game is not perfect of course, but for a strategic game there is much to commend it. The Royal Navy can certainly have it tough in the Mediterranean, mirroring real life. The Italians have the central position - while the RN is split, the Axis have the air power to hurt the CW, and the Italian navy is not to be taken lightly.

In World War II, the war at sea in the Mediterranean - and the wider war in that theatre - was so fascinating. Still hoping that one day someone will bring out a game worthy of the theatre.... One lives in hope.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
berto

Post by berto »

The epic novel of the Vietnam War, "Matterhorn", by Karl Marlantes, published by El Leon Literary Arts / Atlantic Monthly Press, 2009 (first edition).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matterhorn_(novel)

https://www.amazon.com/Matterhorn-Novel ... 0802145310

Marlantes is featured in Ken Burns' and Lynn Novick's 10-part documentary series, The Vietnam War (2017), where he reflects on his experiences during the war.

Thirty years in the making, "Matterhorn" was said by the New York Times Sebastian Junger to be "...one of the most profound and devastating novels ever to come out of Vietnam—or any war."

A heavy read with dozens of characters to keep track of (I urge printing out or bookmarking the organization chart near the beginning of the book), "Matterhorn" depicts Vietnam War combat operations out in the field up close as the grunts suffered, fought, and died. Unequaled in depth of detail. Fantastic. Highly recommended.
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com
bedolaga

Post by bedolaga »

Right now I am reading a book by Jack London called "White Fang". I like this book very much, it tells beautifully about willpower and the laws of survival, about courage and fortitude, about loyalty and true friendship.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

warspite1 wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 7:25 am
rkr1958 wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 6:00 pm Just pick this book up for my nook and starting reading it. Immediately thought of warpite1, was wondering if he had read it, and if so, what he thought about it. Also, haven't heard from him lately and was wondering how he's doing.

I just read through the introduction and barely gotten into the 1st chapter. They do quote Adm Cunningham when pressured to not to risk his ships trying to evacuate the CW troops on Crete. "Takes 3 years to build a ship but 300 years to rebuild a tradition". Reading through so far I definitely can relate the action in the book at some level to the action that general plays out in MWIF in the Med in 1941. Not as related to Greece or Crete but fighting for control of the East & West Med with the RN suffering from the lack of airpower versus the Italians and Germans.

999-Naval-Battle-of-Crete-1941.png
warspite1

Hi rkr1958. I've not bought this one yet - but its on the list. I buy many of the WWII Osprey Campaign Series - and all the naval campaigns so this one will be purchased in the coming months.

I see you quote Admiral Cunningham - "It takes 3 years to build a ship but 300 years to rebuild a tradition". :) I had this as part of my signature, alongside HMS Warspite, before it got lost when they changed the forum. It's a wonderful quote. The Royal Navy spent so much of the early war years putting itself in harms way, without adequate support, to rescue the army....

Yes, MWIF's naval game is not perfect of course, but for a strategic game there is much to commend it. The Royal Navy can certainly have it tough in the Mediterranean, mirroring real life. The Italians have the central position - while the RN is split, the Axis have the air power to hurt the CW, and the Italian navy is not to be taken lightly.

In World War II, the war at sea in the Mediterranean - and the wider war in that theatre - was so fascinating. Still hoping that one day someone will bring out a game worthy of the theatre.... One lives in hope.
warspite1

Bought this early - I was going to wait until Operation Pedestal came out, but saw it in Waterstones and so took the opportunity to buy. Normal, Osprey Campaign offering. I really do like these books. They are clear, concise full of pictures and maps - very colourful. I nice change when you fancy something easy to read - but that is still quality.

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

warspite1 wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 10:48 am 25063.jpg
warspite1 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:10 am
warspite1 wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:57 am ...and here's one I'm looking forward to for 2023...

.....should be out in April and really looking forward to this based on who the author is.... my book budget has already taken a hammering and we're only barely in February....
warspite1

Mmmm... been put back to August :(
warspite1

Now available - hussah! On order today :)
Attachments
25063.jpg
25063.jpg (57.83 KiB) Viewed 1279 times

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

...and finally. I've championed the work of Geirr H Haarr for years on these forums and have been long awaiting his next offering (assuming he was going to produce one). And I came across this by accident today. Ordered immediately!!!!

Obviously Haarr went into the battle in some detail in his book on the Invasion of Norway, but this promises to be more in depth. Can't wait for this one to arrive.....
Attachments
Haarr.jpg
Haarr.jpg (5.25 KiB) Viewed 1275 times

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Four Osprey Campaign books either just out or should be out before Chrsitmas:

Early Pacific Raids 1942
Operation Pedestal 1942
Japan's Indian Ocean Raid 1942
Cape Matapan 1941

Moving back to land, there is also a book about The Reconquest of Burma 1944-45

Are you reading this Santa? These are defo on my list :)

ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

These two books are definitely on my list.
Early Pacific Raids 1942

Osprey has done a nice work to cover almost all the Burma campaigns. I hope they will release a compilation of all their books in a big hardcover book. They have done it before for Pacific fleets.
Chancellor Gorkon to Captain James T. Kirk:
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.
RangerJoe

Post by RangerJoe »

ncc1701e wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 6:38 pm These two books are definitely on my list.
Early Pacific Raids 1942

Osprey has done a nice work to cover almost all the Burma campaigns. I hope they will release a compilation of all their books in a big hardcover book. They have done it before for Pacific fleets.
I had a book a long time ago and I actually read it, it was called "The OSS in Burma" and it was quite good. In the book, it described the usage of long slivers of bamboo and just what they were normally :shock: used for although they were used for something else entirely that time.
Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ncc1701e wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 6:38 pm
Osprey has done a nice work to cover almost all the Burma campaigns.
warspite1

Yes it is really pleasing to see the Campaign series expand to cover campaigns of WWII that have been largely neglected in the past. The Japanese invasions of the NEI, Malaya and Singapore, Burma, The Philippines, many of the key battles in China, plus the smaller Pacific islands have all been covered. Its also good that they separate the land from the sea battles and so keep each book manageable without too much scrimping on the detail.

Long may it continue :)

ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

Absolutely. My only deception is that after the Brexit, the taxes to buy an Osprey book has exploded in Europe. I use to buy them directly on the Osprey web site and now I am buying them on Amazon to avoid the taxes.
Chancellor Gorkon to Captain James T. Kirk:
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Ahh Brexit...... there’s a conversation for another time, and another forum....... :)

RangerJoe

Post by RangerJoe »

warspite1 wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 7:34 am Ahh Brexit...... there’s a conversation for another time, and another forum....... :)
In this context, I don't see where there is a problem. However, there may be a possibility here . . .
Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

Between Worlds by J.L. Williams. Earth has been conquered by purple space orcs. 5 years after the fact, protagonist challenges a 7-foot tall alien marine to a bar fight and knocks her down. Next morning he's made an offer that is difficult to refuse: enlist the aliens' military or go to prison. He enlist. What else to say about this... I give you a sample:
“The soldier in question claimed to be more amused than anything else and accepted in return for a date when she won.” He double blanched. Yeah, he could see that happening. Purp Marines were renowned for being three things: big, mean, and thirsty. Essentially the gender-flipped version of human Marines. They also seemed to regard scoring with humans in much the same way a man might have regarded scoring with a ‘hot space babe’ prior to real space babes subjugating the entirety of human civilization. “I would note that her recent defeat has only made her more interested in securing that date. Not less,” the alien pointed out. “Of course, she’s also going to be on latrine duty for the foreseeable future so I wouldn’t worry about her coming around for a rematch.”

Williams, J.L.. Between Worlds (The Occupation Saga Book 1) (pp. 4-5). Kindle Edition.
Novels seem to use "soldier" and "marine" interchangeably, which can be a little confusing. As if author can't decide which ones he's writing about. Whatever, check this stuff out.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

I'm on the 3rd volume of the series mentioned above. It makes very least an effort on serious world building, alien cultures, clash of cultures, and gender dynamics in female dominated universe where male dominated Earth is an exception. And then is stuff like this:
“Star Trek was right,” Jason grunted to himself the moment the two women were gone. “All aliens are just Humans with strange skin colors, color contacts and strange shit stuck to their face.”
His life would be significantly simpler if the Ufrians were a race of tentacled green creatures with as many warts as they had eyes, rather than a race of skimpily dressed blue skinned space babes who dressed like Greek hoplites.

Williams, J.L.. Between Worlds Three (The Occupation Saga Book 3) (pp. 193-194). Kindle Edition.
I can't read this with a straight face! :lol:
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

I haven't read anything about the Napoleonic wars for so long....

.... but watching Napoleon has got the interest back!!

I'll start with Napoleon The Final Verdict (Heythornthwaite). I bought this back in the late nineties and recall it was an excellent read. Various historians comment up Napoleon's career in three distinct phases; The making of a legend, the tarnishing of the myth, and then the myth destroyed. Let's hope its as good second time around.

sandywhitez

Post by sandywhitez »

Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo. 5/5! Loved it. My only complaint is that in typical YA fashion, I didn't believe for a second that any of the characters are 17. I just imagined them as like 30 years old in my head and then the story was perfect.
KookSpook21

Post by KookSpook21 »

I read Sell or be Sold by Grand Cardne
Nice
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

warspite1 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 5:50 pm I haven't read anything about the Napoleonic wars for so long....

.... but watching Napoleon has got the interest back!!

I'll start with Napoleon The Final Verdict (Heythornthwaite). I bought this back in the late nineties and recall it was an excellent read. Various historians comment up Napoleon's career in three distinct phases; The making of a legend, the tarnishing of the myth, and then the myth destroyed. Let's hope its as good second time around.
Don't know if you've read this one but knowing your love of the WW2 RN I highly recommend you check it out.

https://www.ospreypublishing.com/us/con ... 472857682/
Ronnie
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

"Heaven," by Randy Alcorn

Return to “General Discussion”