Pleaseindicate if a game supports eyesight problems

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

von Beanie

Pleaseindicate if a game supports eyesight problems

Post by von Beanie »

I have been wargaming since the 1970s and own more than a hundred board and computer wargames. But in the last three years I have suffered from an eyesight mutation that has caused me serious problems reading small type. That is why I have had to cancel my lengthy subscriptions to S&T, etc. The reason I can write this message is because this website allows me to enlarge the image on my touch screen monitor. However, many (if not most) computer games do not allow me to enlarge the map or dialog screens. For that reason, I've had to stop playing my favorite games like WITP-AE as well as several Ageod games. IF I could simply enlarge the maps and dialog screens I could still play these games, as well as purchase new ones that accommodate the poorly sighted (which will increasingly become a larger market for complex games like these).
Personally, I would like to see a published list (or symbol) that identifies the games where the map screens can be enlarged simply by using touch screen monitors.
"Military operations are drastically affected by many considerations, one of the most important of which is the geography of the area" Dwight D. Eisenhower
mainsworthy

Re: Pleaseindicate if a game supports eyesight problems

Post by mainsworthy »

I have eyesight probs, I use big TV screens as monitors, you can get 65inch screens.
https://hiphopy.itch.io/

check when you can, I put diff stuff on now and then
terminator

Post by terminator »

There is a magnifying function since windows 10 :

Panzer Coups Loupe (2).jpg
Panzer Coups Loupe (2).jpg (973.85 KiB) Viewed 758 times
Duck Doc

Post by Duck Doc »

I am visually impaired due to an optic nerve condition and use the Windows magnifier app when playing games. It works well. I also endorse the use of a large monitor; the larger the better. Hope this helps.
von Beanie

Post by von Beanie »

I appreciate the suggestions, especially the larger screen possibility. I tried the Windows magnifier (because I already use it constantly to reverse screen colors), but it is a pain to use the magnifier in a gaming situation when it is so much easier to enlarge the game maps quickly with a touch-screen monitor. The problem is that some games like Civ VI allow the map screen to expand whereas most games (including Civ 5) do not. That is why I simply want to know in advance if a game supports touch-screen map enlargement.
The reason this matters is that I just looked at the Dell website and discovered brand new (but very expensive) 54" and 64" touch-screen monitors for the first time. I'm going to wait a while to see if the price drops like it often does with high-tech stuff, but this appears to me to be the most practical solution for the future. I hope gaming companies will embrace the touch-screen innovation and make all of the maps expandable.
"Military operations are drastically affected by many considerations, one of the most important of which is the geography of the area" Dwight D. Eisenhower
Duck Doc

Post by Duck Doc »

I use the Windows magnifier app for reading small print for map or unit details when I cannot enlarge the map or UI any more. It is a bit of a pain to employ but I have gotten used to using it. Good luck.
mainsworthy

Post by mainsworthy »

also I once had a 4meter white wall with projector for computer screen. :)
https://hiphopy.itch.io/

check when you can, I put diff stuff on now and then
Gilmer

Post by Gilmer »

The replies here are great. I had 20/20 vision until about 8 years ago and then my reading eyesight went down fast. I have no issues driving or really much of anything except reading fine print.

I'll probably go back to using a TV as a monitor for these reasons. The magnifier thing looks interesting.
"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/12/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon
Jim D Burns

Post by Jim D Burns »

I use Zoomit, I think it's better for gaming or reading as it zooms in the entire screen which allows you to still use your mouse to manipulate things in game. Though I guess Windows magnifier may have changed in the multiple years since I initially tried it.
altipueri

Post by altipueri »

There is an alternative colour palette for Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri which I thought weirdly bright 20 years ago but now I need it.

O tempora, o mores !

Return to “General Discussion”