Aerial recon

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

LGKMAS

Aerial recon

Post by LGKMAS »

Tried to find this in the manual and the search engine but I get nothing.
I have been splitting up my recon units to cover more ground. And I have been giving them targets to recon. So say det A is given Tarawa, Det B is given Nauru and Det C is given Makin. I get recon info from all three.
I am now trying to consolidate my recon units in central locations where their reach can cover a lot of ground, mainly due to the fact that each little det of 2-3 planes appears to count the same as a group of 25 P-40s for Airfield command and control and is causing problems.
However, If I have a rebuilt recon unit of 12 aircraft, is it better to just give it a Cmdrs Discretion order for the target? Does Cmdr's discretion mean a lot of different recon flights, one of which may be the one I really want? I am concerned that if I give the unit a target of say Tarawa, all 12 a/c will fly over Tarawa and ignore other areas that are of concern to me.
Alfred

RE: Aerial recon

Post by Alfred »

A recon unit sends only 1 sortie per phase.  Commanders discretion simply means the computer choses the destination for that recon sortie.

Alfred
LGKMAS

Post by LGKMAS »

So that means I do need to split my recon units so I can cover more locations! That is a damned nuisance but I can live with that, even if it means my bases are close to being overloaded. More paperwork needed!
RangerJoe

Post by RangerJoe »

If the air unit is broken down and is located at the same base, it should count as just one air unit.
Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

btd64

Post by btd64 »

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

If the air unit is broken down and is located at the same base, it should count as just one air unit.

And you'll be able to recon 3 location at once instead of just 1....GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
LGKMAS

Post by LGKMAS »

Now that I missed. Thank you.