The fear of the water being cold.

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

m10bob

The fear of the water being cold.

Post by m10bob »

WITP is not every bodies wargame because being a "monster" game, it requires more time to play and complete than, say, a beer and pretzels game, or something like chess.
Professional and amateur historians and military-types are drawn to this game like flies, folks who keep their reference books nearby and the habit of eating their meals near the 'puter on days off.

I am sure all of the AE gang has had the feeling that once the game is out, these same folks will be pouring over the product, seeking to find fault with anything and everything, (especially OOB or weapon technology related), and much of this criticism will be based on info provided by a single source, (at best), or maybe even just long-ingrained opinions of the would-be professional.

For those critics, I make this personal request:

The game has an editor. Feel free to change anything changeable that you might feel needing change, and please give consideration to the AE team for bothering to get this "monster" together for us, before publically making your initial feelings known.
Check and re-check your "findings" before crying foul.[;)]

51st Highland Div

RE: The fear of the water being cold.

Post by 51st Highland Div »

Mmmm beer and pringles would be much better lol...[:D] With a subject as enormous as the Pacific War of course there will be things, especially OOB related, that might not be correct...although not due to the extensive and exhaustive effort put in by all those involved in the WitP:AE process. I would agree whole-heartedly with M10Bob..even with a game the size of AE not everything can be included especially some of the one of or small scale equipment used during the conflict..[:)]
https://i.ibb.co/SRBTPGK/hmsglasgowmatrix.jpg

The beatings will continue until morale improves....

Banner thanks to RogueUSMC
DivePac88

Post by DivePac88 »

Having played WitP for a few years with all the original bugs, because the CD that I had bought in NZ was almost certainly a pirated copy, and would not take the patch upgrades. Being a war-gamer of this theater for many years, I still found the original form of WitP the best by far simulation of operational warfare. So to me even if WitP,AE smells as bad as ten day old road-kill I will be a happy man. [:)]
When you see the Southern Cross, For the first time
You understand now, Why you came this way
SuluSea

Post by SuluSea »

I remember the term from a few decades ago, "a complaining sailor is a happy sailor." [;)]
"There’s no such thing as a bitter person who keeps the bitterness to himself.” ~ Erwin Lutzer
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

The nice thing about the editor is not only can players fix errors in the database, they can explore completely implausible scenarios such as 'No Treaties' or 'ability to complete the building plans' mods. The editor gives us the ability to simulate what might have happened if Japan had built its 'Super Yamato' or the all the planned but cancelled Taiho's had been built. The editor gives us the ability to set up a surface duel between Super Yamato and Montana, and just let the two slug it out.

With the editor, the possibilities are endless. [:D]
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
Kwik E Mart

Post by Kwik E Mart »

ORIGINAL: Shark7

I can't wait to create a HQ in Anchorage with Gen. Palin commanding. I will then have knowledge of all Soviet force dispositions. Heck, I might even be able to see all forces in Japan...[;)]
Kirk Lazarus: I know who I am. I'm the dude playin' the dude, disguised as another dude!
Ron Swanson: Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

ORIGINAL: Kwik E Mart

I can't wait to create a HQ in Anchorage with Gen. Palin commanding. I will then have knowledge of all Soviet force dispositions. Heck, I might even be able to see all forces in Japan...[;)]

You'll be able to see Russia from your house. [8|]
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
AttuWatcher

Post by AttuWatcher »

You'll be able to see Russia from your house. [8|]

[:D]

ORIGINAL: SuluSea

I remember the term from a few decades ago, "a complaining sailor is a happy sailor." [;)]

hear hear
Vincenzo_Beretta

Post by Vincenzo_Beretta »

ORIGINAL: m10bob

WITP is not every bodies wargame because being a "monster" game, it requires more time to play and complete than, say, a beer and pretzels game, or something like chess.

[snip]

The game has an editor. Feel free to change anything changeable that you might feel needing change

This reminds me of a very funny post I recently read on the "war-historical" newsgroup:

House-Hunter Giftzwerg: "That house is just too frakking huge for my
family."

Real Estate Agent Erik: "It comes with a hammer and saw so you can make
it smaller after you buy it."

I'll leave to the forum to guess between who the exchange was, or about what [:D]
RevRick

Post by RevRick »

ORIGINAL: SuluSea

Only the term wasn't "complaining."[:D]
"Action springs not from thought, but from a readiness for responsibility.” ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer
bradfordkay

Post by bradfordkay »

okay Rev... ."griping"                    [:D]
fair winds,
Brad
denisonh

Post by denisonh »

Try "bitching"
ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

okay Rev... ."griping"                    [:D]
"Life is tough, it's even tougher when you're stupid" -SGT John M. Stryker, USMC
bradfordkay

Post by bradfordkay »

[:-][:-][:-]

This is a family forum. [;)]
fair winds,
Brad
mbatch729

Post by mbatch729 »

Well, depending on the family, that word could be a "family" word...

Later,
FC3(SW) Batch
USS Iowa
Tophat1815

Post by Tophat1815 »

Alright Letterman just STFU already will you.....[:D]
morganbj

Post by morganbj »

ORIGINAL: m10bob

Professional and amateur historians and military-types are drawn to this game like flies, folks who keep their reference books nearby and the habit of eating their meals near the 'puter on days off.

I am sure all of the AE gang has had the feeling that once the game is out, these same folks will be pouring over the product, seeking to find fault with anything and everything, (especially OOB or weapon technology related), and much of this criticism will be based on info provided by a single source, (at best), or maybe even just long-ingrained opinions of the would-be professional.

For those critics, I make this personal request:

The game has an editor. Feel free to change anything changeable that you might feel needing change, and please give consideration to the AE team for bothering to get this "monster" together for us, before publically making your initial feelings known.
Check and re-check your "findings" before crying foul.[;)]
Having been on the development side of a few games, you won't hear such comments from me. I appreciate all the hard work that goes into a game, especially this one, and will only voice comments about real programming bugs. Small database erros always creep in, and there are just a lot of differing opinions about whether aircraft A can climb better than aircraft B when carrying a 500 lb bomb. That stuff should always be forgiven.

But, that said, if the errors are so egregious as to make the game completely ahistorical, ....

AE will be a great game. Bring it on!
Occasionally, and randomly, problems and solutions collide. The probability of these collisions is inversely related to the number of committees working on the solutions. -- Me.
bradfordkay

Post by bradfordkay »

ORIGINAL: mbatch729

Well, depending on the family, that word could be a "family" word...

Those are families where no one is acquainted with the flavor of Lifebuoy or Palmolive...[;)]

I sure didn't grow up in one of those!
fair winds,
Brad
DivePac88

Post by DivePac88 »

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

Those are families where no one is acquainted with the flavor of Lifebuoy or Palmolive...[;)]

I sure didn't grow up in one of those!

Must get a bit smelly. [8|]
When you see the Southern Cross, For the first time
You understand now, Why you came this way

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”