WAAAAY OT...anyone have thoughts on HOI2?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Kwik E Mart

WAAAAY OT...anyone have thoughts on HOI2?

Post by Kwik E Mart »

is it better than HOI1? what improvements have been made...curious....
Kirk Lazarus: I know who I am. I'm the dude playin' the dude, disguised as another dude!
Ron Swanson: Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

freeboy

RE: WAAAAY OT...anyone have thoughts on HOI2?

Post by freeboy »

see multi page discussion in general aar...
imo this is not the place for non witp threads...
"Tanks forward"
Kwik E Mart

Post by Kwik E Mart »

point taken...will search there...i guess i figured if people could post about understanding women, then this was at least a little closer to topic...
Kirk Lazarus: I know who I am. I'm the dude playin' the dude, disguised as another dude!
Ron Swanson: Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

testarossa

Post by testarossa »

ORIGINAL: Kwik E Mart

is it better than HOI1? what improvements have been made...curious....

What is HoI1?
BossGnome

Post by BossGnome »

Hearts of Iron. I can'T say I've played it myself, but I know what it is...
"Hard pressed on my right; my left is in retreat. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking."
-Gen. Joffre, before the battle of the Marne
general billy

Post by general billy »

I have it, cant seem to get into the game, its slightly better than HOI 1, they added a few extra stuff, the coral sea scenario is in it. But if you didnt like HOI 1, u wont like HOI 2, IMO WITP beats it by a mile of. but the game has the whole world in it, and u can just about play any nation. Its a love or hate game, AI needs improving, but online play is fun.

Bill
WITP Games
Scen 16 as Allied = Lost
Scen 13 as Jap = Won
Scen 15 as Allied = Won
Scen 16 as Jap = NA
WPO Games
Scen 6 as Allied = Won
Scen 6 as Japs = NA
steveh11Matrix

Post by steveh11Matrix »

My copy's on order from Amazon, due in about 10 days or so...so I can let you know what I think soon after that![:D]

FWIW I loved HOI, but I must have played EU2 more.

Steve.
"Nature always obeys Her own laws" - Leonardo da Vinci
Jonny_B

Post by Jonny_B »

[&:][&:][&:]

Does anybody know:

Is the HOI 1.6 upgrade a comprehensive upgrade or do the other upgrades have to be loaded first??
Aqua Team Hunger Force
3rd Infantry Division (mech)
Rock of the Marne
Ron Saueracker

Post by Ron Saueracker »

After buying HOI and getting screwed by Paradox for having done so (what a complete piece of shit and makes me wish software developers could be nailed to the wall for selling unfinished programs that don't function as finished), I have not and will not buy anything from them again. Don't trust the geeky little crooks. Customer disatisfaction is the one thing which keeps most developers from pulling the kind of crap Paradox did. Hopefully there are not too many sheep out there who will buy anything so Paradox goes the way of the Dodo. I keep an eye on who is employed as well. I cast a wary eye and have a slow "add to cart" finger for any company who employs anyone who worked for shoddy companies in the past.

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan
Jonny_B

Post by Jonny_B »

Mr Ron Saueracker:

I played HOI, because I am a World War II game playing addict.
Still I agree with you observations and would like to add that I have never seen such poor program planning.

However, if the aerial combat scheme was at least playable, especially aircraft on carriers, I would still be playing this crappy game.

Witp is the best war game I have ever played!!!!!!!!!
Aqua Team Hunger Force
3rd Infantry Division (mech)
Rock of the Marne
Cheesehead

Post by Cheesehead »

I bought HoI2 and I've been having a blast with it. The AI is not the best...it does some things well, other things not so well...but you only play one country so your allies have the same AI limitations. The game is easy to learn, easy to play and has a ton to offer those who like big, grand strategy games. I don't know about HoI1, but it is obvious to me from HoI2 that the developers put a lot of "love" into this game. Lots of historical detail, lots of shortcut keys and buttons to make an otherwise unwieldy game very mangeable. Multiplayer (online) should be fantastic if you can arrange your schedule with enough people. Single player will probably get old after you've played most of the major countries...but considering the size and scope of the game that will take months, if not years, depending on how often you play. For $40 bucks, this game is a must for anyone that likes WWII grand strategy games.
You can't fight in here...this is the war room!
RBWhite

Post by RBWhite »

Isn't there another thread here somewhere about HOI 1 & 2 with 3119 hit.

What else can be said.

Just go buy it or not.[;)]

Rick White
ETF

Post by ETF »

If you like WWII games HOI2 is the BEST strategic wargame on the planet!
MUCH better out of the box than HOI1.
Multiplayer is a complete joy!
WITP is the best operational wargame though but HOI2 has the world wide strategic aspect hands down. Greats games and any wargamer should support both if he has the means.
My Top Matrix Games 1) CMO MP?? 2) WITP/AE 3) SOW 4) Combat Mission 5) Armor Brigade

Twitter
https://twitter.com/TacticWargamer
ravinhood

Post by ravinhood »

If you like WWII games HOI2 is the WORST strategic wargame on the planet!
MUCH worse out of the box than HOI1.
Multiplayer is NOT a complete joy!
WITP is the best operational wargame though but HOI2 doesn't have the world wide strategic aspect. Terrible game and any wargamer should NOT support it even if he has the means. ROFLMAO! ;)
WE/I WANT 1:1 or something even 1:2 death animations in the KOIOS PANZER COMMAND SERIES don't forget Erik! ;) and Floating Paratroopers We grew up with Minor, Marginal and Decisive victories why rock the boat with Marginal, Decisive and Legendary?

freeboy

Post by freeboy »

I bought HoI2 and I've been having a blast with it.
MAny people really like this game, Note those who discount it, aka Raverdude have not played it and are nursing a grudge against the developer imo
"Tanks forward"
ravinhood

Post by ravinhood »

MAny people really DISLIKE this game, Note those who discount it, aka Freebase have played it and are nursing a bias for the developer imo.
WE/I WANT 1:1 or something even 1:2 death animations in the KOIOS PANZER COMMAND SERIES don't forget Erik! ;) and Floating Paratroopers We grew up with Minor, Marginal and Decisive victories why rock the boat with Marginal, Decisive and Legendary?

freeboy

Post by freeboy »

Its not fair you using my addiction and my name together...
"Tanks forward"
ancient doctor

Post by ancient doctor »

DONT BUY HOI2.Its not worthy the time/nerves/money you will give.Beliave it or not i have this opinion not because i dont like Paradox for no reason but instead because i have a pretty good reason to dislike them.

These people think that we-buyers-are some kind of weird animals that will give them our money and they will keep on ignoring a very basic truth:you cant expect to be go when you produce bad things.

And because i dont want to speak without example here are 2 "interesting" FEATURES[:@] of the "nice" piece of crap:HoI2
1)The AI has unlimited range for his naval units which means that it can potentially ruin your game especially if you play a Pacific power.Imagine you as Japan trying to get this stupid little islands only to see a huge 20 or more US division armada coming form New York[&:] or Boston to land in Japanese mainland while you have to go all the way of the ocean just to make it to Pearl.
ABSOLUTELY the same problem was in HoI1 and they put it again because "it helps" the AI.Actually it helps reasonable people to understand how "efficient"ways they find only because they cant program or script a decent AI that will put his ships in ports before the sailors die[:D].
2)Since air units dont attack specific provinces but instead larger areas that means that your army can pretty much bleed to death in a mega battle but the air units you send for help will simply ignore the huge battle and keep hitting adjacent provinces where nothing happens.[8|]

Oh and BTW if someone says again that only because some people are reasonable enought to not do the same mistake and buy s....t again they have bias i will come with more Paradoxian examples of Paradox's HoI2.

Cheers.
freeboy

Post by freeboy »

2)Since air units dont attack specific provinces but instead larger areas that means that your army can pretty much bleed to death in a mega battle but the air units you send for help will simply ignore the huge battle and keep hitting adjacent provinces where nothing happens

Actually do you even own this game? I think not, soooo the air can de target either a zone of areas or one specific territory... I am not surprised at the outrae HOI caused.. it was crap but this newer version is a gem imo
"Tanks forward"
ancient doctor

Post by ancient doctor »

Are you in Paradox payroll or something,because otherwise no sensible man whould be so narrow-minded for such troublesome series of games the same company keeps doing.

As about the "1 specific territtory" bomb option go to paradox forum and see the suggestion made for next patch,num 37 says:"Being able to launch bombing raids against one single province rather then an area".So since i for a very good reson(HoI1/Victoria) havent the game it means that either the player who suggested it found no such option or that he/she is blind(hardly).

Oh BTW this "gem" seems to make no difference between the airplanes capacity of pre-WW2 CV and CVNs because both their CAGs have absolutely same capacity if both are upgraded to same level.Now is it just me or in general a pre-WW2 CV could not carry as many planes as a CVN?Very realistic dont you think?

Return to “General Discussion”