techs

Gary Grigsby's World At War gives you the chance to really run a world war. History is yours to write and things may turn out differently. The Western Allies may be conquered by Germany, or Japan may defeat China. With you at the controls, leading the fates of nations and alliances. Take command in this dynamic turn-based game and test strategies that long-past generals and world leaders could only dream of. Now anything is possible in this new strategic offering from Matrix Games and 2 by 3 Games.

Moderators: Joel Billings, JanSorensen

Atlantikwall

techs

Post by Atlantikwall »

In the Spring 1940 szanerio it is shown that soviet infantry stay behind in evasion (4 against german 6).

1.) Is always the highest value of a specific a tech represent world standard? I though than "standard" is some kind of average.

2.) If one nation could define the world standard, the could be the front-runner prepairing its allied nation a cheap upgrade.

Exemple: It is said, that advancing in tech above others is much more costly than following. Second, the amount (of what? Supplies? Ressources?) that has to be spent for a tech depends on the number of units needed. If that would be possible, the WA e.g. could reseach on infantry tech advances and as they don`t have many of them, that migt no be that costly. And afterwars, the SU could follow spending only little money for upgrading its masses of infantry! On the other hand, why not research cheaply on soviet transports giving the WA a much cheaper boost in its vast transport fleet?

3.) What`s the diffence of cost and the time needed if you`re two (or one) behind world standard compared to the cost of upgrading above world standard?
Becket

RE: techs

Post by Becket »

Quick answer: 1940-41 was the absolute nadir for the Red Army, as a result of Stalin's purges. The tech levels for Soviet infantry reflect the incompetent and inexperienced commanders & poor organization that resulted.

Cost of upgrading is based on the number of units you have in play (of the type you want to research) and (I think - not sure) the current tech level.

"The very word Moscow meant a lot to all of us....it meant all we had ever fought for" -Rokossovsky
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

As long as you are at or below the world standard (defined at the beginning of the scenario and something that never changes), then cost to go up is the same. Once over the standard, the cost increase with each increase over the standard. Standard =5, cost to increase if at 0-5 is normal, if at 6 cost is x2, if at 7 cost is x3, etc.
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
Atlantikwall

Post by Atlantikwall »

ORIGINAL: Joel Billings

Once over the standard, the cost increase with each increase over the standard. Standard =5, cost to increase if at 0-5 is normal, if at 6 cost is x2, if at 7 cost is x3, etc.
Just to clarify: going one point above standard costs as much as catching up. Only if you want to get 2 (or more) above standard it is costly, right?

P.S.: That world standard never changes is a good rule (not allowing "cheap alliied "front-runners" as speculated above from me). My compliments, Sirs[;)]!
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

Yes, only if you are trying to go 2 over the standard is it more expensive.
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
Atlantikwall

Post by Atlantikwall »

How long will it at minimum take for the Soviets to catch up the difference of 2 in infantry evasion (if GER won`t tech)? Does every improvement take the same time (i.e. fom 4 to 5 as long as from 5 to 6)?
Becket

Post by Becket »

It's a question of priority. If I spend nothing on building units at the start, I can catch up very quickly. I will also be left wide-open to Barbarossa (or worse, an early Barbarrossa). If I build only units, then I will be behind the 8-ball in 1942, unable to damage the German units as effectively. So, you have balance research and unit construction.

"The very word Moscow meant a lot to all of us....it meant all we had ever fought for" -Rokossovsky

Return to “Gary Grigsby's World at War”