From: LI, NY
Looking at them all:
1) The Momo (no APD option, just DD or E) never gets radar, nor even ASW until 6/43
2) The Momi class DD gets radar and good DC in 4/43, but the Momi class APD is horrible in every way. Major speed reduction, NEVER gets improved DC, no radar until 12/43.
3) Wakatake class DD/APD get improved DC and Radar in 2/43
4) Mutsuki and Kamikaze class APDs get Radar AND improved DC in 12/42. Speed drop from DD is only 35 to 29. The second best option too....
5) Minekaze class APDs get Radar AND improved DC in 8/42 with a 35-to-29 speed drop. The clear champ. However, I suspect that early radar availability might be a "bug" since the Type 13 Radar device arrival date is 4/43, so it probably shouldn't be available until then.
Edit - For DD-class escorts, the best for early radar are:
1) Akitsuki: Best by far as they gain Radar in 1/43 (already have top-of-the-line DC) and they have best-in-class range (8.3K). Plus, in 9/43 these gems acquire a second set of radar.
2) Mutsuki: Radar and better DC in 1/43. Only downside is the range (4K), but that's still better than all the APDs.
3) Shiratsuyu: Radar and better DC in 7/43. Decent range, too (6K).
All the other DDs are 9/43 or later.
The Mutsuki and Kamikaze conversions aren't bad, but given the dearth of capable real DD escorts...
I used to convert lots of 'em, but for this very reason I convert none any longer.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume
In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche
Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb