ship withdrawal

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

robertkeller

ship withdrawal

Post by robertkeller »

I can't figure out how to withdraw Queen Elizabeth...I've tried Brisbane and Sydney as ports...what port(s) should I be using?

Thanks!!
Bullwinkle58

RE: ship withdrawal

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

Sydney will work. Is she damaged? Is the withdrawal button active yet? Does she have troops loaded?
The Moose
pontiouspilot

Post by pontiouspilot »

If Sydny not built out it may affect ability to WID....I have run into this and had to use Capetown.
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

You need a level 9 port. IIRC, Sydney only starts at 8 and you must build it.
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

You need a level 9 port. IIRC, Sydney only starts at 8 and you must build it.

Don't think so. Sydney is Australia's national port. Size doesn't matter. Air superiority might. But I'm betting she's either too damaged, or there are troops on-board.

48. Gameplay Change: Allow ship withdrawals at any on map level-9 port and some smaller ports with no enemy nearby. Ships can always be withdrawn from any off- map port or from any TF that is currently off map. Ships that are not badly damaged can be withdrawn from some on-map ports or from TFs in certain on-map regions. For on map, ship may not be on fire, total damage may not exceed 99 and no individual damage type (system, floatation, engine) may exceed 50. Ships may not be withdrawn from any on-map location where the enemy has air superiority. The
intent is to prevent withdrawal as a method of saving a ship that stands a good chance of being lost or further damaged. On map withdrawal ports are set based on the historical exit locations for ships leaving the Pacific:

1. Any level 9 port.

2. National home ports of the United States, Canada, India, Australia, and New
Zealand (with no port level requirement)

3. Any level 7 or larger port on the US or Canadian West Coast.

4. Any level 7 or larger Indian port East of Ceylon (including Ceylon itself)

5. Any level 7 or larger port in South Eastern Australia, plus Perth.

6. Any level 7 or larger port in New Zealand.
The Moose
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

Ah, but the xAP Queen Elizabeth isn't an Australian ship, is she?
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

Doesn't matter. You can withdraw anything from anywhere in my experience.
The Moose
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

What matters is having the beta that enabled all those extra withdrawal locations.

If he can't withdraw at Sydney, one would guess he does not have it.
Hans

m10bob

Post by m10bob »

I made a serious ship withdrawal error and am paying for it, big time.

I sent the CL Dauntless to a size 9 port at least 2 months before it was to be withdrawn, and it was damaged.
I put the ship in repair, knowing the ship would not withdraw if damage was bad enough.
I failed to note the next "upgrade date" and while the repairs were being done...it went into "upgrades" within a week.
Now....I am being assessed the 15 point penalty daily, and will for another 17 painful days.
(I have already accumulated 150 penalty points.)

After the fact..I even marked that port for no ships to recieve upgrades, hoping that might release the ship...but nope, the "damage is done"[:(]

Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

What matters is having the beta that enabled all those extra withdrawal locations.

The changes were in an early official patch, so any comprehensive will have them.

After "how do I withdraw aircraft if the button is greyed out?" this is probably the most frequently asked question here. Usually it's either too much damage or a ship with something still loaded.
The Moose
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: m10bob

I sent the CL Dauntless to a size 9 port at least 2 months before it was to be withdrawn, and it was damaged.
I put the ship in repair, knowing the ship would not withdraw if damage was bad enough.
I failed to note the next "upgrade date" and while the repairs were being done...it went into "upgrades" within a week.
Now....I am being assessed the 15 point penalty daily, and will for another 17 painful days.

After the fact..I even marked that port for no ships to recieve upgrades, hoping that might release the ship...but nope, the "damage is done"[:(]

Yep, we've all been there. The upgrade door only opens in one direction. I've made it on my old USN BBs a few times. The late 1942 (?) upgrade is about six months long.
The Moose
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

I don't know which version you're playing, but I've noticed the Withdraw button is active if you look at the ships under repair in a port. Not the ship repair screen that sorts ships into pier side, shipyard, etc., the button to the right of that for switching the ships in port screen to the ships under repair screen.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: wdolson

I don't know which version you're playing, but I've noticed the Withdraw button is active if you look at the ships under repair in a port. Not the ship repair screen that sorts ships into pier side, shipyard, etc., the button to the right of that for switching the ships in port screen to the ships under repair screen.

Bill

Yep, this could work. I haven't tested it because I haven't been in this situation, but you're able to access things on a regular ship information screen if you use that radio button first to switch the port's list of ships to show those under repair.

"Manage ships under repair" (or whatever it's called) is in the middle. The button to look for is to the right of that, "Show ships under repair" - toggle it.

This will also allow you to access the settings on your ship-based air groups without having to go through the 'N' hotkey as well.
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

I did just test it with a CL both overdue for upgrade and withdrawal in a testbed game. I put her in upgrade and then used this button, which I never look under. Darned if you can't withdrawal while in upgrade! So, something to remember. Can't do it from the "Manage ships under repair" button, which is all I use. Can do it with the other one.
The Moose
m10bob

Post by m10bob »

Bill

Thank you much!!!...Great to be a forumite!!

crsutton

Post by crsutton »

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

Sidney has always been a national port for withdrawal since the game first came out. The betas only allowed for other ports to come into use. But Sidney has been there from the start.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
jmalter

Post by jmalter »

I did just test it with a CL both overdue for upgrade and withdrawal in a testbed game. I put her in upgrade and then used this button, which I never look under. Darned if you can't withdrawal while in upgrade! So, something to remember. Can't do it from the "Manage ships under repair" button, which is all I use. Can do it with the other one.
Thanks Moose & Lokasenna!

I'd learned awhile back on this forum that the "Show ships under repair" screen allows access to a listed ship's embarked airgroup for 'transfer to base', while the "Manage ships under repair" screen does not.

It's great to learn that this also works for ship withdrawal. Another wrench in my tool-kit.
m10bob

Post by m10bob »

Bill

Once again,Bill's help is spot on..This works and after accumulating 175 penalty points, I was able to withdraw the offending ship from the docks!!!!....Thank you Bill...............

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”