Problem with Design Templates

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

DeadlyShoe

Problem with Design Templates

Post by DeadlyShoe »

I have a designtemplate for a ship that has one weaponPhaser. But no matter what I try the game is using a weaponBeam in that slot instead.

is there any way to get the game to differentiate weaponPhaser and weaponBeams? This would be REALLY helpful as a homeworld mod kind of sucks unless i can mix cannons and ion beams.

unfortunately as far as i can tell i cant use any other weapon type to make beam weapons. I can't use railguns for cannons because you can't tell the AI not to retreat and it would quickly get out of hand. My only real idea is to reroll cannon weapons as weaponSuperbeams but that probably breaks world destroyers etc. not sure atm.

if i could take the shake effect off graviton beams i'd use those...
Haree78

RE: Problem with Design Templates

Post by Haree78 »

Check your empire policy research priority, could be beams. Set it to phasers and as long as you have a phaser researched it should be fine.
DeadlyShoe

Post by DeadlyShoe »

Cheers for the tip. It turns out if even if BOTH beams and phasers are on the racial design focuses, they'll pick one or another. THey'll only respect the difference if neither beams or focuses are in the focuses.
Haree78

Post by Haree78 »

Yes, this came about mainly through a process of development, beta testing and trying to get the AI to do the right thing.
Supposedly if the AI does have a much higher tech one of the other it will override, but I haven't tested this personally.

Return to “Design and Modding”