what are the distant worlds universe changes?

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

endoric_MatrixForum

what are the distant worlds universe changes?

Post by endoric_MatrixForum »

I played a lot of distant worlds shadows. It is a great game but there were some problems i had with it, but nothing that made it not worth playing.

So real quick what are the differences in Universe vrs shadows?

thanks.
joeyeti

RE: what are the distant worlds universe changes?

Post by joeyeti »

How about reading the product page on Matrix games, hmm?
Joe
Darkspire

Post by Darkspire »

ORIGINAL: endoric

I played a lot of distant worlds shadows. It is a great game but there were some problems i had with it, but nothing that made it not worth playing.

So real quick what are the differences in Universe vrs shadows?

thanks.

Shadows.

Play as an Empire or a Pirate in the Age of Shadows

Start as a pre-Hyperspace Empire Start as a Raider, Pirate, Mercenary or Smuggler and play with an entirely space-based faction that can if successful become a planetary empire as well

New Pirate Leader and Pirate Captain characters Assault pods and ship to ship or base boarding actions, including ship and base capture

Gravitic Weapons and Tractor Beams

New expanded Ground Combat with new troop types and an animated ground battle resolution screen Infantry, Armor/Mech, Special Forces, Planetary Defense Units Resolution of the multiple stages of a planetary assault

New Ground Combat technology tree

Expanded and improved Area Weapons

New planetary facilities Improved AI and new comprehensive difficulty settings

New and Improved higher performance Graphics Engine

New to Universe!

The entire Distant Worlds series in one package! Universe includes the Original Distant Worlds, Return of the Shakturi, Legends, Shadows and the new Universe expansion!
Comprehensive Modding and Customization Support: Allows adding/removing/changing most items: resources (including new colony-manufactured resources), ship components, planetary facilities and wonders, fighter designs, alien races and race families, diplomatic dialog, empire policy, custom characters, ship and base design templates, governments, plagues, research tech trees and more
Can customize most of the images used in the game: ships and bases, fighters, alien races, planetary facilities and wonders, characters, troops, components, resources, ancient ruins, planets, stars, asteroids, animated in-game effects and more
Use a previously saved and editor-customized game as a map for a new game (instead of generating a new galaxy)
Powerful new event system accessible from a considerably-upgraded Game Editor. Set up your own storyline in a custom map with triggered events and custom victory conditions
Add story triggers on specific in-game objects or events, executing one or more actions on other in-game objects (either immediately or delayed)
Can replace most of the user interface icons and sound effects
Add your own custom help files to the in-game Galactopedia
Switch between different customization sets with a couple of mouse clicks from the main game menu
Comprehensive 99-page Modding Guide that outlines how to make Mods and explains all of the settings in detail
A new official storyline built using the new modding capabilities, covering the first war between the Freedom Alliance and the Shaktur Axis, in which you have access to the tech required to build your own planet destroyers, establish the Ancient Guardians and research and deploy the Xaraktor virus.

Darkspire
endoric_MatrixForum

ORIGINAL: joeyeti

How about reading the product page on Matrix games, hmm?

yeah read it, and yeah your useless.

/block?
ehsumrell1

Post by ehsumrell1 »

GREAT answer Darkspire!

[:)]
Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...
endoric_MatrixForum

ok i can see this is going to be a copy and paste situation involving a very unfriendly and obnoxious couple of people. Shame as i expected such an intelligent game to have players with intelligent opinions.

the product description basically says:

Gold edition
Can mod stuff
Can mod more stuff
Can reuse maps from old saves
Can mod more stuff still.

Add story triggers on specific in-game objects or events, executing one or more actions on other in-game objects (either immediately or delayed) (ok thats sort of new at least. But still modding)

can mod UI and sounds
can mod Galactopedia
can save multiple settings
guide on how to mod stuff

A new official storyline built using the new modding capabilities, covering the first war between the Freedom Alliance and the Shaktur Axis, in which you have access to the tech required to build your own planet destroyers, establish the Ancient Guardians and research and deploy the Xaraktor virus.

so what you guys are saying is absent modding the last point is the only change?

moving on then. I'll check back in a few days for someone with something to say.
joeyeti

Post by joeyeti »

endoric,

please pick your ball and take it elswhere. We prefer civil discussion.
Joe
Tormodino

Post by Tormodino »

Civil? You could have fooled me. The changes are not very substantial, but there have been a number of patches and the game runs a whole lot better. At least for me.

If you are looking at major changes to the basic model, then there aren't really any. However, I would check in on the various modders on this forum and hold out to see where the patching process takes Universe.
In all honesty, the game is pretty solid as it stands, so if you liked Shadows I would recommend getting this if you want to be able to tinker more with pretty much the same game. There is the potential for some pretty sweet mods.
ehsumrell1

Post by ehsumrell1 »

ORIGINAL: endoric

ok i can see this is going to be a copy and paste situation involving a very unfriendly and obnoxious couple of people. Shame as i expected such an intelligent game to have players with intelligent opinions.
Hello Endoric;

Unfortunately, there are times where a poster will just arbitrarily enter an negatively toned or worded response to valid questions. Why this occurs leaves one to ponder, and yes at times it taints the image of the forum. Nevertheless, the majority of times, answers and responses will be addressed responsibly by us forum members who wish to keep our forum community civil and out of continuous drama. Also, Erik who moderates this forum, although quite busy, does review the forum chatter regularly and I'm certain is keeping tabs on who's 'naughty & nice'. There has been warnings and bans before, and I'm sure that it will continue.

We do overall have a fun and at times very intellectual forum here for you to enjoy. In addition, if
needed, there is also "the green button" at the lower left corner of a post. Press it, and you'll
see no more post from the negative poster that concerns you.
[:)]
Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...
pycco

Post by pycco »

mainly better ai all the way around is the most notable there have been some game changing changes to quite a few things and more to come as the devs are changing things we are complaining about. modding is huge lots of neat mods, sadly you will not be able to play mods made in universe in shadows. performance has been optimized a lot in DW:U, that pretty much covers it along with 1 different setup screen and intro vid the ability to use the same "galaxy" again with different resources and such.

if you have all other games its 10$
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
-Mark Twain
unclean

Post by unclean »

I haven't played since early on in Shadows (too buggy for me), but aside from the obvious there's quite a few quality of life improvements, and the performance is noticeably better. If you haven't played in a while you might be surprised.

Also I'm really liking how much harder it is to take over colonies now, very good change. Resources are tighter at the beginning too.
endoric_MatrixForum

Now thats more like it.

AI improvements would be huge.

Tighter resources at start are a huge balancing fix.

Taking over Colonies was way too easy, and no fun.

Thank u all (most) for the info!

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”